2023 and still not on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 4, 2023.

1. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Baja Oklahoma. Small, very good, under the radar, HBO production, of the funniest novel I've ever read.

64FALCON and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Cecil B DeMille's insane but wonderful "Madame Satan". The DVD has lousy sound and no subtitles.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Outstanding show, looking forward to the next season.

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Kevin Smith's Dogma is unavailable for purchase or streaming in any format. I was lucky enough to find a used DVD that was overpriced by standard def used DVD standards.

The movie had been released through the Weinstein Brothers and Miramar and distributed by Disney. Given the subject matter Disney asked the Weinsteins to take it back and, given the fact that ol' Harvey is a bit preoccupied at the moment, the movie remains in limbo.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The Green Hornet - The Complete Series...
    just a few DVD's of edited footage in Asia!

6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

It would have been so much easier if Disney buying out Fox never happened.

Thanks to Disney, old Fox shows are now an impossibility.

Boom Operator and 64FALCON like this.
  7. Covid brain. Meant to say Russell.

8. Glad to see The Grand Tour: Disasters in Time (Timescape) finally show up on Blu-Ray. A pity it’s such an underwhelming presentation.

finslaw likes this.
  9. Fox wasn’t exactly rolling out Blu-rays for their TV shows anyway for a lot of their older properties.

10. Because ‘they’ have made the decision that it’s not worth selling it on Blu-Ray or just don’t care.

11. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I'm surprised that more studios aren't doing on-demand burning of Blu-ray and DVDs. I received Along Came A Spider on Blu-ray the other day, and it's a BD-R. I'm not sure if this ever officially came out on Blu-ray. I also have an old Chuck Norris movie called Forced Vengeance that was a DVD-R when I got it. These are official releases that I bought through Amazon, and I am 99.9% sure they are not bootlegs. Surprised more studios aren't doing this to save some money, especially for TV series where they think it won't sell well on disc. And at least then you could get a high quality physical copy of some of this stuff.

Dublintown likes this.
  12. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Most of Serbian/Yugoslavian cinematography has no blu-ray releases

64FALCON likes this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have all of them! :D

Michael likes this.
  14. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Also anime series such as Azumanga Daioh have had no blu-ray releases outside of Japan. However, I have downloaded one of them from internet, and it's quality isn't very good so I'm OK with the lack of the release

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

wow! cool...some good stuff in those tins!

16. TimM

TimM Senior Member

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. No region 1 Blu Ray.

apesfan and Boom Operator like this.
  17. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I almost forgot a few other favorites of mine not yet on Blu-ray:

The Devil at 4 O'Clock (1961)
    The Amazing Colossal Man! (1957)
    Horrors of the Black Museum (1959)
    Flight of the Lost Balloon (1961)
    The Old Man of the Sea (1958)
    Dead Presidents (1995)
    Goin' South (1978)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  18. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@ognirats: I noted your post and that you're located in Serbia.

There's a rather unusual horror movie called DARK ECHOES (1982) with Joel Fabiani, Karin Dor, Wolfgang Brook and James Dobson that looks to have been filmed in a Yugoslavian village and I honestly don't know if it's on Blu-Ray or not. Really bizarre flick but a lot of fun! → It could be on Blu-Ray somewhere in a language other than English . . . ?

I've got a Japanese tape of the movie with an English-language soundtrack. Maybe you've seen "Dark Echoes" or "Dark Echo" before, 'ognirats'? If not, I'd recommend it.

19. sthorntn

sthorntn Forum Resident

I Was A Teenage Werewolf. It's got the horror movie factor, the cult movie factor and a solid performance from young Michael Landon but no Blu-ray in sight.

ego1jr likes this.
  20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I Was a Teenage Frankenstein is also missing. There is a DVD of Werewolf out there, but it seems to be a bootleg. The problem is that the rights to several AIP titles were inherited by Susan Hart (James Nicholson's widow), and her licensing demands are too high for any home video company hoping to turn a profit on films that are sixty-something years old.

ego1jr likes this.
  21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

'They' are product managers that are obligated by law/shareholders to keep their company profitable.

If it costs $1M to prepare, market and distribute a Blu-ray of that particular TV show, and sales forecasts for the next 10 years' estimate only $300K in profit, then they're not going to do it.

Simple as that. Would you risk your job if you knew your company was going to lose money? Or would you focus on something that would help your company's profitability, and your own job security?

22. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

TimM likes this.
  23. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Heavy Music likes this.
  24. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe Forum Resident

There is a gray market bluray available here.
    I can't comment on the quality as I have not seen it yet. I've got this and a few other titles sitting in the cart while I decide whether or not I take a chance on them.

The Green Hornet: Complete Series on Blu Ray, 2-Discs

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

have the DVD...had the BD...