2024 rock and roll hall of fame nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chasingwildcat, Feb 10, 2024.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You left Fumble off your list.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think it did matter Once Upon a Time.

Bowie - very close to the definition of No Brainer Inductee - didn't get inducted until he'd been eligible for at least 3 years.

Bowie was openly dismissive of the Rock Hall, and I suspect that played a part in the delay.

After that, I think the Rock Hall realized they'd inevitably need to induct people who disparaged the organization and they fought it less.

NeonMadman and bRETT like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Huh - maybe! I obviously felt that SHFer implied they were 1st tier!

4. Oatsdad

Good points.

I think that because there's zero chance Sonny and Cher will ever be inducted, it woulda been a nice bone to throw to "double induct" Cher solo and with Sonny.

NeonMadman likes this.
  5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Disagree - S&C launched her, for one, and then that 70s TV show kept her in the spotlight. A lot of that accounts for her legend.

No Sonny and Cher probably never has a career period.

lazydawg58 and sewerdog like this.
  7. Oatsdad

But I want Garbage the proper noun! :D

ARK likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Yeah, I know - I was there.

But Foreigner never seemed like they were as HUGE! as Journey was circa 1981-82.

Foreigner also never had an album sell as much as "Frontiers" did... which contributes to my impression Journey had a peakier peak.

9. Oatsdad

Yeah, obviously Journey endures as a popular entity in a way Foreigner doesn't - that undeniably helped them get inducted.

Journey also managed decent success with albums in 1996 and 2008, thought their albums between 1996 and 2008 flopped.

Foreigner had pretty much nuttin' in terms of record sales success after 1988.

NeonMadman likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Good points. Journey seem much more seen as an "80s band" than Foreigner is even though Journey debuted as recording artists 2 years earlier!

ARK and NeonMadman like this.
  11. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

For those of you that keep hammering on sales: If this was just about who sold the most, then Barbra Streisand and Celine Dion would be in years ago. You may have the Rock Hall confused with the Billboard Awards.

12. Oatsdad

But if a song is recognized solely due to a cover version, then it's not really recognizable as a song from that original artist.

My point: whatever success LR had with "Willin'" doesn't carry over to help Little Feat much.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think that the two have similar mindsets to large extent. Far as the two examples you mention, the RRHOF seems very cautious about how many non-rock/rap/R&B acts get in. Within those categories, I'd say sales count for a lot-- Hence Jame's getting nominated before the equally influential Pixies, or Kate Bush having to wait until a perfectly wonderful old record got on a TV show.

14. Oatsdad

Oh crap - not only did we attempt this, but I'm the one who started it! :help:

Senility now! :laugh:

I think I botched the execution, though.

I shoulda gone into it as a replica of how the actual Rock Hall operated - meaning I shoulda done different threads for different potential induction classes and started with those eligible in 1986 like the real HOF did.

I coulda sworn someone did attempt that form of poll series... but maybe not and I just misremembered the thread I ran!

ARK, danasgoodstuff and NeonMadman like this.
  15. Oatsdad

No, we - I - don't.

The Rock Hall isn't entirely about sales, but it's a factor.

After all, it's the Rock Hall of Fame, not the Rock Hall of Artists We Think Were Amazing Even If No One Ever Heard of Them.

"Fame" in this context implies "success" implies "sales".

Some exceptions exist - artists who didn't sell squat but were so important/influential that they couldn't be denied - but the vast majority of HOF inductees also were really popular.

ARK, SaraZB26 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  16. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

My point is Foreigner in terms of hits were more and bigger than Journey. Foreigner also had a number one hit "I Want to Know What Love Is" in 1985. That being said "Don't Stop Beleivin" has turned into one of those generational songs now.

17. Oatsdad

Really? She's playing Baltimore this Saturday - no sign of any discounts!

Granted, the "cheap seats" were already fairly inexpensive - I'm paying $50 + fees per seat - but there are plenty of pricier tickets and they're selling.

BTW, where did you see her? Your location says Oakland and the closest show to you was SF in December.

18. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I remember Foreigner 4 being out around the same time as Journey's Escape. Interestingly both had monster #2 hits. Foreigner "Waiting for a Girl Like You" spent a record 10 weeks at #2 and Journey "Open Arms" six weeks at #2.

It's interesting in 1981 I would have thought the Foreigner album would have had the more staying power than Journey Escape.

ARK likes this.
  19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Just let everybody in at this point.

Were they famous? In.

Were they not quite famous to the general public but other musicians liked them? In.

Are their primary members really old now? Induct them first before the younger people so they get a chance to feel some love before the inevitable.

Don’t get all precious about what members are in and what members aren’t. Induct them all.

Have a big old party that folks can go to or even participate in. Try not to piss inductees off with unreasonable ticket costs or table sponsorship or whatever.

Be more Rock’n’Roll and less corporate hellscape and make everybody happy.

moomoomoomoo and KJTC like this.
  20. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Ratt & the Scorpions?

21. moomoomoomoo

They have a section already for "Early influences"

22. moomoomoomoo

I wish I would have been capable of ignoring it.

mtracy64 likes this.
  23. moomoomoomoo

There are really at least 3 different versions of the band:

1. Pre-Perry: Kind of semi prog

2. Perry: a hit machine & one of the best of this type.

3. Post-Perry: to paraphrase Bon Jovi, livin' on a name.................... Kind of like Yes without Jon Anderson.

24. not probably it's a fact

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  25. i never gave it a single thought

mtracy64 and moomoomoomoo like this.