21st Century Paul McCartney Singles: His Best Work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 26, 2022.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

McCartney's music spans just about the whole spectrum for me.
    There's an album where I only like one song...
    McCartney III - Lavatory Lil
    There's an album where I only dislike one song...
    Memory Almost Full - Gratitude
    There are albums where I don't like any song...
    The first two Fireman
    There is no album where I like every song.

Piiijiii likes this.
  2. Col

Col Forum Resident

I don't know about his best work but lyrically some revealing and considered and profound thoughts.He has been concerned to express feeling in a more honest fashion.. Like From a lover..or to be more meaningful and poetic..like Jenny wren or to be more vulnerable like Get enough or to be more candid..like I don't know.

3. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

That's literally my opinion though-- that some people clearly want to convince themselves and others that Paul's later work is really good when it really isn't that great. So you clearly took issue with the opinion itself and how it was framed (which should be irrelevant given how often personal opinion is being framed as fact in this very thread). You've basically just said as much. Not my problem you can't handle a differing opinion.

4. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

What are your favorite rock albums from the last ten years? Just curious.

5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Then your opinion is based on a FALSE PREMISE because as FOR ME I'm not trying to CONVINCE ANYONE ELSE that McCartney's later music is great, I'm just sharing my opinion that it is. The fact that I'M CONVINCED is more than good enough!

6. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

LOVE Sing the Changes. What a vibe that one is. Just a beautiful, soaring track.

I didn't see anyone mention the track New. Maybe that wasn't a single? To me that's Paul leaning well into all of his strengths, melodic, well performed, interesting production--a little gem.

Also think Nothing for Free should have been a single ahead of Egypt Station.

And finally, a remix of Seize the Day that's a little faster perhaps could have also made a perfect Paul single, but I do like the track as is, too :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Hep Alien, fallbreaks and theMess like this.
  7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

While physical singles have mostly disappeared in this century, Your Loving Flame and This Never Happened Before were in fact promo/radio singles, reaching no. 19 and 27, respectively, on the U.S. Adult Contemporary chart if one can believe Wikipedia.

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Sing The Changes is one of the two songs I like from EA but it's the live versions that I like. The other song is Highway, like that one live too.
    You're absolutely right about Nothing For Free also, I mentioned it earlier it should have been the first single from ES.

9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I think they both would have done better if released as the first singles from the albums.

10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm with you on Sing the Changes and Highway. The studio versions leave me cold, but the live Sing the Changes is my go-to when I need to cheer myself up. It's glorious.

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Nope, it isn't your opinion, it's your unfounded and rude theory based on nothing. If you don't care for McCartney's music that's your opinion but you crossed the line into rudeness. It's not my problem f you want to be rude because it offends you that people actually enjoy Paul's latter day works and I will call you out on it as it's not good forum or general etiquette, it's unfounded nonsense.

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

No. Just no.
    'Penny Lane' is one of McCartney's strongest songs. A brilliant piece.

edrebber likes this.
  13. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Once again all I'm getting from this is that you were indeed offended by a differing opinion. I'll be the bigger man here though and apologize: I'm sorry that a differing opinion offended you, even though that's not my problem and you should learn to deal with it.

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Glad you like it, I just don't agree.
    I Can Bet TO ME blows Penny Lane completely away. From the start it's much more musically interesting.
    No one should learn to deal with incorrect rudeness!

15. Wildest cat from montana

maccafan, I remember you from the McCartney song-by-song thread.
    A lot of your comments there were bewildering to me but this one tops any of them.

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

TO ME, the Memory Almost Full medley is some of McCartney's absolute best. Feet In The Clouds ends way too early, it really starts cooking at the end leaving me wanting more.

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Don't be bewildered, you like what you like and I like what I like, we both can thank McCartney.

18. Wildest cat from montana

I'm not bewildered. Your comments are bewildering. To me.

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I could say the same about many and I do mean many comments I read, but I don't let it affect me that way. People differ, tastes differ, listening experiences differ, and comments differ, that's one of the things I like about these forums, you get a full spectrum.

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Here's a rough cut of Ever Present Past: Best Of Paul McCartney 2001 - 2020

In A Hurry
    Find My Way
    New
    I Don't Know
    Ever Present Past
    Home Tonight
    Women And Wives
    Who Cares
    Sing The Changes

Jenny Wren
    Queenie Eye
    My Valentine
    Fine Line
    (I Want To Come) Home
    Nothing For Free

From A Lover To A Friend
    Lonely Road
    Long Tailed Winter Bird (remix) (with Idris Elba)

Not all my favorite tracks from this era, but all either classified as "singles" or "promo singles" according to Wikipedia...

Hep Alien, Col and theMess like this.
  21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It's so weird to see "Find My Way" continually listed as a single when, outside of the 7" box (does that even count?), it just wasn't. No physical release, and no digital release independent of McCartney III. All it got was a music video.

22. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Fond of From A Lover To A Friend, Fine Line, Ever Present Past and Dance Tonight (eventually), but don't think they match his earlier peaks.

That said, I haven't bought one of his new albums since his 2007 release.

23. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

(I Want To ) Come Home
    Fine Line
    Queenie Eye
    Sing The Changes
    Dance 'Til We're High
    Highway
    Come On To Me

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Fine Line is pretty good the others are two of his absolute worse TO ME, and none of them match McCartney's earlier or later peaks.

25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

According to Wikipedia, it was a single and got to #31 on the US AAA chart and #7 in Taiwan.

I definitely don't understand the criteria Wikipedia uses to determine what is a single... They claim Find My Way is, but Nothing For Free (remix) is not, even though the latter was available for download and was clearly a non-album release.

[Yes, I cheated by including Nothing For Free unremixed, just because I like the original version better. :nyah: ]