£24,840! To see Adele!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pastafarian, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident Thread Starter

ianuaditis and starduster like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I paid about $400 to see the Stones last year - that was face for a field seat.

If we involve inflation, though, the most I paid was for the Stones in 1989: the ticket was $250, which is about $480 now.

And it was a huge percentage of my income at the time! I was a college student then who worked part-time at a restaurant. $250 equaled about 4-5 nights work for me back then!

3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I could put a ticket up for sale at $200,000. Doesn't mean someone will buy it though.

Most I paid is $350 for CSN and Y. Second row seat, was worth it ...

4. Pastafarian

Total rip off, equivalent of £19, Led Zeppelin Earle's Court 1975!:biglaugh:

5. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Everyone (not just artists..) has its own audience. (Chinese proverb)

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I believe the answer to that would be "because they feel it's worth the money to do that".

7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Just regular price. It has changed a lot since I frequented concerts in the 80s/90s. Then it was the young at the front. Now it is the rich at the front, and the rest in the back.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Let's be fair... if this was Sir Paul or the Stones or Dylan or someone, people here would be talking about what a bargain it is lol.

I do find high ticket prices ridiculous... I know artists need to make money since album sales are trash, but Adele is one of the few artists out there who moves units the way they did 20-30 years ago, she is making money via traditional album sales.

Fastnbulbous and JohnnyQuest like this.
  9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

There are plenty of bands that are revered on this group that I wouldn't pay a tenner for an album of theirs.

I paid £5 for Pet Sounds in Fopp and when I played it I felt ripped off........

DTK likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

£5 for a Pop masterpiece? What a bargain! :thumbsup:

Imagine70 likes this.
  11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

No mention if that price was actually paid, but a few months ago I posted about an ebay auction where a pair of Adele tickets actually sold for $38,000.
    I paid $600 for 4 tix over 2 nights, reasonable for these days, that's about what you would pay to see a show on Broadway or whatnot.
    Most I ever paid was $500 for front row at Andrea Bocelli's concert at the Statue Of Liberty, it was broadcast on PBS and you can see my hilarious Hawaiian shirt, worn specifically to take the P out of all the stuffed shirts in Tuxes. Outdoor shows should be fun, not ultra formal, affairs.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Adele calls out a woman who actually set up a tripod with video camera to film her show:

It seems 3/4 of the audience is filming her show on their cell phones and that doesn't bother her...but really, a tripod is a bit much...

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no matter how rich... how can one justify paying that price? I cannot get around this...

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

To each it's own. I think it's the greatest album ever made. :) It's up there with Kid A,Piper at the Gates of Dawn,What's Going On,etc., but I digress.

As for Adele, I wonder if she will be able to top "21". Has she already hit her creative peak?

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no way...not at the ticket prices they pay!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  16. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I agree with you, terrible album.

DTK likes this.
  17. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

The most i've paid was for Kate Bush at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2014. Plus flight + hotel. Ouch! No regrets though..

18. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I refuse to pay more than $30 for a ticket to any concert, regardless of the artist. It used to be $25 a few years ago, but inflation happens. By the time an artist gets big enough to charge more than that amount, I usually find that the fire is waning and the show instead of the music takes precedence. Hasn't served me wrong yet. The vast majority of the shows that I see are under $15, and this includes two or three opening bands. Great performances all.

Just saw Steve Coleman and Five Elements at the Village Vanguard for $30. Saw Savages a few nights later at a local club for $20. You won't find artists at the top of their games as those and with their desire and hunger at the mega arena shows when you pay $100+ a seat. The arenas usually have prettier lights, however, so there's that.

19. Vritra

Vritra Forum Resident

I'm paying $1500 to see Radiohead in August. I considered using that money to go see the Warriors tonight, but they might lose and I figure Radiohead probably won't lose.

bcaulf likes this.
  20. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

If Adele reads this then she should consider playing to 100 people paying £25000 each instead of 25000 people paying £100 each.
    Makes perfect business sense

21. Pastafarian

That's £1026, did you put an extra zero in there, how can that be right, unless they're playing in Australia?

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think it's a tribute to how much Adele is beloved that her shows are all over you tube, you can watch them for free, but that has not caused her ticket values to go down at all. People love her so much that they can know what to expect from the show beginning to end but want to just be in the room with her.

23. Pastafarian

The main issue as I see it is the pricing out of the average fan and the morality of buying tickets to make a profit rather than see a band. As I said saw FJM, at a sold out concert, my friend couldn't go and asked me to sell it for face value outside the gig.

24. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Interesting point above about inflation and life circumstances. Taking that into account, the highest price I ever paid for a ticket was $30 from a scalper in 1982 (the Police). I was working at a grocery store for the princely sum of $3 an hour.

I truly detest ticket inflation for many reasons, but prime among them are a) it discourages people from casually checking out new bands and b) it keeps young people out of concerts altogether unless mom and dad are footing the bill. My Police experience aside, I usually paid from $2 to $8 for a show in my teens. The very occasional stadium concert was about $15.

Runicen likes this.
  25. Pastafarian

I think that converts to roughly the cost of my FJM gig, my no point at the moment is £30. I think one issue is that bands rely much more on touring for their income now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.