£24,840! To see Adele!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pastafarian, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wouldn't the use of a tripod actually allow the concert-goer a better chance to enjoy the show? Seems like that way would allow the person to record the show but still watch it "in real time" since the camera's not in front of the person's face...

Voxbox and Pieter Kozak like this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

My ceiling is about $60 (the most I've ever paid for a concert ticket -- Sonny Rollins in 2009) but I tend to agree with you. Even if I had a good income (which I don't), there is absolutely no way I would ever consider it worthwhile to see Van Morrison for $150+, even though he's one of my heroes. Steve Coleman is an amazing artist -- notwithstanding his stature in the jazz community, he was a pioneer in making his music freely available online.

3. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

So far - Springsteen this year. The tickets were in the $150 ballpark. $175 for Buffalo on the secondary market.

(The most recent concert I went to was $5 in a bar).
    But where it get expensive is out of town road trips. Gas money + hotel + dinner + ticket for the wife = the most expensive date ever. (Unless you count our first date and the resulting lifetime expense.)
    I would have a hard time paying more but if I lived in California I would have to seriously consider the geezerfest.

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I should think that since Adele is constantly moving around they would have to keep their eye through the camera lens just to keep her in sightlines and focus....also not sure that the camera on tripod wouldn't affect anyone else's view.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Could be. I figured this was a little tripod, though, and it probably wouldn't block the view.

I also figured the tripod person just set it up to keep an overall stage view without panning.

That's a lot of figured, all of which could be wrong! :D

Clearly it bugged Adele, though...

6. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Just wait until a good number of artists across the board come out of the wings and find they're playing to half empty venues. That won't last long with the collective egos of artists & managers....count on it.

7. Vritra

Vritra Forum Resident

Well, I'll need two seats for the Shrine Auditorium in LA, seats on the floor are going for over $700, and I need a couple - tack on ticket agency fees and we're looking at north of $1500.

I don't feel comfortable paying that much, but who knows if Radiohead will ever tour again - I want to see them one more time.

8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Don't wanna bust into this without info, but if you haven't gotten the tix yet, look at the arena seating chart, those seats on the side and just in front of the stage can be better than most floor seats as you are elevated and the audience may stand the entire time on the floor.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Seems a bit steep .

10. Vritra

Vritra Forum Resident

Thanks, I will look into this!

11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

remember, if you're going with your girlfriend/significant other it can be a real drag to be seated behind someone 6'4" and they're standing. Unless you and they are about 6' 5" :)

12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I paid almost $300 for my ticket to see one of the Dead Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago last summer. Easily 6x more than I'd ever paid before (excepting festival tickets), but still in my mind well worth it. I never got to see the original Dead and seeing the core four + Trey was well worth it, even if a poor substitute for the real thing. When I heard there was going to be more Dead & Company touring, I felt a twinge of regret creeping in - until I saw that the formula was minus Trey and Phil, plus John Mayer - then I felt much, much better.

13. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

If you feel a passion for an artist, chances are good that whatever you pay will be worth it. You don't want to be thinking of taking out any mortgage of course:)
    but I've found that even times I paid crazy money to see an artist I loved, every single time it was worth it! Of course mild sacrifices may have to be made, but no takin' food out of kids mouths and not being able to pay the electric bill! Then you've gone too far:)

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

As I've said before here, the ticket price is usually nothing for me compared with the cost of getting to the city that has the concert in it and booking a hotel for the night. Turn that around: if you're going to, say, Manhattan on vacation and already have a lot of chips on the table, how much extra is too much to go and have a memorable night at a concert?

Well, I think that we can agree that £24K, or even a tenth of that, seems like an insane amount to pay to go and see anyone, but I could see myself dropping a few hundred per ticket to see one of those once-in-a-lifetime concert opportunities. I kind of regret missing Kate Bush ... couldn't get regular tickets and the VIP packages seemed on the steep side at the time, but less so now.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

It must be great having money to burn.

Jimmy B., onionmaster and Imagine70 like this.
  16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have a hard time believing the 24k price would ever be paid, except perhaps by some Sheik or something that owns half a country...:)

It really does come down to how much you care, or how much it means to you to see an artist.

17. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

The article is actually about ticket reselling/scalpers in the U.K. and what prices they're charging for tickets. A point a few commenters here seem to have completely missed.

Adele, as one of the most popular artists in the world, is leading the fight in the UK against the secondary tickets market.

She famously took on the touts, banning thousands of them from buying tickets, but as she prepares to kick off her long-awaited UK tour on Monday, Adele may have to concede she has not yet won the war.

The four main ticket resale websites are offering seats for her 20 UK arena dates for more than 290 times their face value. Fans wanting tickets for the sold-out London O2 concerts are being asked on Get Me In – the resale arm of Ticketmaster – to hand over as much as £24,840 for a seat with a face value of £85. That figure includes a cut taken by Get Me In. Rival resale website StubHub is offering seats for Adele’s eight London shows for up to £23,600 each, including fees.

Fans of Adele – who won four Brit awards last week – aren’t the only ones left frustrated by ticket touts. On Friday, hundreds of followers of the indie group Catfish and the Bottlemen, who won the Brit for best British breakthrough act, voiced their anger on Twitter. Tickets for the band’s tour sold out instantly – only to appear minutes later at vastly inflated prices on ticket resale websites. The Observer found examples of tickets for the band’s shows, which originally cost around £27.50, being resold for as much as £328.90 hours later on the website Get Me In.

The band’s management company said: “We watched the presale and the general sale for the Catfish and the Bottlemen April tour dates very closely. The demand for tickets was truly exceptional, however we were really disturbed to see a very large proportion of the total tickets available in the pre-sale appearing for sale within minutes on secondary ticket sites priced at up to five times their face value.

“There is no way this is down to genuine fans attempting to resell unwanted tickets, but rather organised touts, automated large-scale ticket purchase programmes, or worse, tickets never reaching the primary market in the first place.

“Artists’ pre-sales are intended to reward a band’s most loyal fans with an early opportunity to buy tickets, not for professional touts to profit. We will be taking what further steps we can to prevent this for future Catfish and the Bottlemen shows, but this is a problem on an industry-wide scale and it requires an industry-wide solution.”
    “We must make it clear that these secondary ticketing companies are not providing a service to fans but are systematically ripping them off.”

Lauren Paton, 19, a student in Fife, was unable to get tickets through either a pre-sale on Wednesday – which was made available to fans through the band’s newsletter – or through the main sale on Friday. She claims that at 10am no tickets for the Glasgow show appeared on Ticketweb, one of the outlets purportedly selling them, and that those she got for Doncaster became “sold out” as she was still entering her details. “Something definitely needs to be done – it’s not fair,” she said. “Most of these people buying tickets are probably just buying to sell on for three times as much.”

Rachael Dowd, 21, a student based at the University of Westminster, was online waiting for the sale of the Catfish and the Bottlemen tickets at 10am on Friday only to find the shows had sold out. “Ticket touting has been going on for so long, but I feel like lately it’s just gotten so out of hand,” she said. “It takes the excitement out of going to a live show because it’s so hard to get tickets. It’s just really unfair to the fans who actually want to go to these shows.”
    Adele – who scooped four Brits at last week’s ceremony – is one of a number of high-profile stars who have attacked the ticket resale “rip-off” and demanded the government clamp down on the activities of secondary market ticket websites. Others who have waded into the row include Sir Elton John, Prince, Mumford & Sons and Coldplay.

So keen was Adele to ensure that fans were not fleeced by profiteers that her management teamed up with a British company called Songkick to identify and exclude more than 18,000 “known or likely touts” from the ticket-buying process for the singer’s tour. This begins at the SSE Arena in Belfast on Monday before visiting Manchester, London, Glasgow and Birmingham. Fans had to pre-register, and the touts – most of them based in the UK and Europe – were eliminated from the process before they even had a chance to buy tickets. On top of that, Adele’s website carries a prominent warning that “resale of tickets … will not be accepted – you risk having them cancelled and being denied entry to the show”.

The only company given permission to facilitate resales of Adele tickets is Twickets, an online fan-to-fan exchange where the price is never more than the original face value.

Despite that, there were plenty of tickets available last week at hugely inflated prices on Get Me In, StubHub and the other two big players in this market, Seatwave (also owned by Ticketmaster) and Viagogo.

A spokesman for Ticketmaster said: “Ticketing marketplaces react to demand and the willingness of fans to pay. With high-profile events, such as Adele, tickets are sometimes listed at prices higher than the face value. Tickets very rarely sell at these elevated prices though, with many selling at face value or below the original price.”
    Seatwave alone was listing more than 2,700 seats for sale for the UK dates, while Get Me In was listing more than 2,800 - though of course some tickets will be listed on more than one website. Viagogo said that demand for tickets rose by 163% following her performance at the Brit Awards.

Seatwave had seats at the London shows for sale for up to £4,999 each, though Get Me In topped the price league with its four tickets for the 21 March show available for £22,000 each, excluding fees.A family of four buying those seats would pay £88,000, plus a £4,040 “processing and administration charge”, to give a total of £92,040.22. For that price one might at least expect to be sitting in the best seats in the house (or perhaps even up on the stage) but these are “nosebleed seats” in row R of the O2’s upper tier.

The Labour MP Sharon Hodgson, co-chair of the all-party parliamentary group on ticket abuse, told the Observer: “It is dismaying to find that tickets to Adele’s hotly anticipated tour are now being resold at significantly marked-up prices on secondary ticketing platforms. While artists and their management can have all the best intentions in mind to end the profiteering by ticket touts on their events, what we need is the legislation in place that supports artists in doing this.”

Last October the government launched a review of how the secondary ticket market was working and whether consumers were sufficiently protected by new rules introduced last year to make it easier to identify touts. The review panel, chaired by Prof Michael Waterson, is due to report by late May.

Finding it hard to get a ticket for Adele? There’s one on sale for £24,000 »

//

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Ridiculous. That's way too much money for me.

driverdrummer and Jimmy B. like this.
  19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

It's so obvious that Adele cares about her fans or she wouldn't be doing this tour at all! Singing the same 18 songs 105 times has got to be wearing!
    She really does hate what the touts are doing. This tour is a gift for fans and face value, excluding the packages, was more than fair and she could have asked much more and gotten it! I wonder if all the people who paid the touts actually got to see the show! Ticketmaster resale outlets sure, but the others?

20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

^^
    The article is actually about ticket reselling/scalpers in the U.K. and what prices they are charging for tickets. A point a few commenters here seem to have completely missed. I guess it helps if you actually read the article !

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Got lucky and snagged 2 floor seats when it first went on sale last December. At $150 each, I thought it was a tad expensive. But my wife is a big fan of Adele and it was the perfect Christmas gift for her.
    7 months later, the seats turned out to be a bargain as we were seated right next to the small middle stage. My wife was so suprised and beyond excstatic that she got to see Adele really up close. Not a fan but I have to say, her voice is amazing! And she does put on a great show.

[​IMG]

22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I don't personally rate her but I think £24.84 is quite reasonable.

23. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

[​IMG]

stunner2020 likes this.
  24. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

steady on ...

Scope J likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is the Guardian trolling. Nothing more. There are still hotel packages available for her Wembley shows. You can get two in the best stand section plus a 3* hotel room for 639GBP. Figuring the hotel is crappy and worth about 100GBP, that puts you at about £250 a ticket. Don't believe everything you read.

Her website is confusing, but travel packages are still available for certain nights in certain sections depending on the date. ADELE - Wembley Stadium , London 2017 - Make Your Own Way Hotel inclusive Packages

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    moj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.