25 Worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees: Cleveland.com article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

The Jann Wenner Hall of Fame is just that.

2. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

This post made my day. :laugh:

freddog, Paul J, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I couldn't bring up the article but it's probably right! :nyah: Except for the Zombies who still rock! :edthumbs:

4. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

All I'm going to say is that I'm glad Joan Jett was inducted. I don't care a heck of a lot about the Hall but that was one of their better decisions.

5. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Joan Jett is venerated over the Go-Gos, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kate Bush, B-52s, Joan Armatrading, Slits? What a sad and mystifying selection process.

Bob J, goodiesguy, Retropsych and 9 others like this.
  6. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Nah, the real joke is that someone with such a slim resume is in there. I'd dis-induct her, along with Chicago and the Moody Blues.

7. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

All artists must have prizes! And all albums a super deluxe box set!

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thanks! To be honest I had a little chuckle to myself as I typed it.

9. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

That’s great idea in fact. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Shame.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Much as I like the New York Dolls, there's no way I'd replace The Small Faces/Faces with them. That's insane. Why not have both?

goodiesguy, freddog, TGH7 and 15 others like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't see what they have to do with each other. New York Dolls were fantastic, very influential and really should be in there, but I prefer Small Faces & Faces. As others have said, the bigger problem with the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, aside from it having everything to do with corporate marketing and very little to do with the spirit of Rock 'n' Roll, is the bands that are missed out. But they have to go through the self congratulating backslapping parade every year, so of course not all deserved acts are in.

12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Chicago and The Moody Blues certainly don't have slim resumes.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's what I thought!

51IS, Bruno Primas, lukpac and 4 others like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I find the HOF's refusal to consider Go-go's to be mystifying. They were the first really successful all-female rock band!

goodiesguy, J_D__, 51IS and 5 others like this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

If Ringo Starr deserves a solo induction, then by all means why the hell not Stevie Nicks?

Geee!, ti-triodes, laf848 and 8 others like this.
  16. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Aye. Still, I'd personally take E.L.O over Tull any day. But heck, they inducted The Cure (fine by me), but no Joy Division??? Very strange.

17. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

I may be partial because they are two of my favorite bands, but I don't understand why the H0F and some people bash on them. They are/were two extremely talented bands who were pioneers of their particular sound. People don't like them for whatever reason, fine. But at least judge them on their merits... and there are many.

18. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

my guess: Except for the smug smirk of Bon Jovi, everyone in the hall right now is Chuck Berry compared to what we're about to see in the next decade with the new boss.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    goodiesguy, Huntigula, Gumboo and 4 others like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the rock and roll hall of fame powers that be made their biggest blunder when they first inducted james brown in 1986 and then marvin gaye and aretha franklin in 1987.

and yes i understand that R&B or soul or whatever you call it was in total co-existence with rock and roll back in the 60's and early 70's but they should have kept it pristine with only rock and roll acts.

once the rap came (grandmaster flash in '04) it opened another door (which closed the door on many classic rock acts that will probably never get in and sure as hell should be.)

only a matter of time before the country artists start getting in, there are already cries out there for patsy cline (who is as much rock and roll as tupac)

the solution:

2 things HAVE to happen

1 - the rock and roll hall of fame has to change it's name to the modern music hall of fame, or contemporary music hall of fame or the like, and then re-invent the whole concept of what it is and where it wants to go. then they can let sinatra and dean martin and perry como in.

2 - someone somewhere has to open a REAL rock and roll hall of fame.
    A - rock and roll artist ONLY
    B - no soul, R&B, rap, country, bluegrass etc.
    C - the people vote, literally, just like baseball does it. do it online, by email, by regular US mail, in stores, anywhere they can get ballots.
    D - the nominating committee HAS to members of the institution (after the first year, and the first year should be easy)
    E - no more than 5 acts per years, avoid saturation, how many are in there now, over 300?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It's all about preference.
    Sure I can agree with some of those alternatives, but then I disagree with others ... It's a crock

Pete Puma and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Are you volunteering? :cheers:

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is one of those clickbait trash sites that run ad-infested slideshows like "you wouldn't believe what these child actors look like today", right?

What a waste of time.

Say It Right and Vic_1957 like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i would love to, if i only had the wherewithal to do it.

i'm too old and too poor to undertake such a project.

no, it has to be backed by money and put together by someone with a bit of power and prestige and name recognizable.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You mean like Elvis?

25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Why the Moody Blues? They have hits in 3 different decades, and seven albums in a row that are considered classics. I don't get the hate. A really unique and gifted band of musicians.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.