25 Worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees: Cleveland.com article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Let them all in. Rock and Roll is about anybody that can do the music well, and anyone that appreciates it.

Mr. Wenner, tear down that Hall Wall!...

Suncola likes this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I can't help thinking that Cat Steven's religious conversion may have helped him into the Hall, because "diversity." On the other hand, he's much more deserving of the honor than many of the others in there.

Bon Jovi? Ugh.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well you're not going to create another hall of fame and it have anywhere close to the notoriety this one has. Are people going to show up to get inducted to a second rock and roll hall of fame? No one will care about it. That being said, I don't see why this institution of such narrow focus needs to exist.

In baseball, they let people vote for an all star team, even then, only the starting lineup. The hall of fame is voted on by baseball writers.

Hep Alien and Oatsdad like this.
  4. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The explanation is straight forward. Dave and Jann think they are cr@p, so they’re out.

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Dave and Jann need to listen again. They are out of touch with todays youth who love The Moody Blues. :cool:

6. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

I always thought if you wanted to make the RRHOF relevant, you should have to take an inductee out for every one that goes in.

7. Veni Vidi Vici

If rock wasn’t dead, the Moodies would play outside the induction and have their outraged audience popping their statins in defiance.

8. Veni Vidi Vici

And by “take out” I hope you mean by the kind of enlightened management that Don Robey was known for...?

9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Is that a joke that The Moody Blues fans are old? Also, Rock is alive and well and the Moodies played inside the induction while you were outside selling hot dogs.

10. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The framework seems unnecessary to me. This list could just as easily have been written as, “Since A is in the Hall of Fame, let’s also induct B.”

It’s not as if a mechanism exists to kick artists out of the Hall of Fame anyway, so what’s the point of framing it that way, if not to just be provocative?

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Besides, some of the choices might yet get in, such as King Crimson.

KJTC likes this.
  12. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

To me, the best thing about the Hall is that it started early enough to honor pioneering artists while they were still with us.

goodiesguy, Suncola, 51IS and 8 others like this.
  13. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

While I don't disagree with some of the thoughts here, this extremely arbitrary and subjective article is basically a molotov cocktail meant to stir things up. Don't we already have too much of that in this world?

Hep Alien, Jarleboy and Vic_1957 like this.
  14. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I would love to see all of the artists get in that the article mentions. I’m all for a big tent. So many genres and styles have evolved out of Rock and Roll, and it’s really the only way to honor musical artists beyond the very biggest who get things like Grammy Lifetime Achievement awards and Kennedy Center honors.

15. coot

coot Forum Resident

Some of the choices are lame for sure. Omissions and waiting to long is also issue as was the case with The Moody Blues. Ray Thomas died before before they finally got in...20 years to late:tsk:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

Same with Jon Lord w/ Deep Purple. 23 years too late.

Also, both original bassists for Purple and the Moodies were snubbed. >:tsk:< Is right.

17. JackS

JackS Then Play On

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was a great idea and it got ruined along the way .

18. MikeVielhaber

How does that equate to relevance?

Comet01 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Strange article. If they're already in, why not just let it be? Why denigrate Ritchie Valens and Del Shannon? Why do the Small Faces and Dave Clark Five get disrespected here?

This is also the first time I have seen the Moody Blues compared to the Jam. I love both bands, but that's like comparing apples and noodles. Makes no sense.

20. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

Completely agree than Stevie Nicks shouldn’t be in on her own - as part Of F.M., sure.

Cannot disagree more about # 12 Chicago though...not objective at all, I know, but with some of the hacks that are included in the HOF, Chicago surely deserves a slot.
    IMHO.

Retropsych, Hep Alien, coot and 5 others like this.
  21. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Well, given their tendency toward pomp and pretension and orchestration, which are hardly hallmarks of good rock 'n' roll, they were an odd choice for people to get so worked up about being excluded from the RnRHoF. Now that they're in, I'd disinduct them mainly to drive the classic rock partisans apoplectic. :)

That said, while they can get too AOR/MOR for my tastes they do have their moments.

And as you say, the kids do love 'em: "I only listen to Li'l Pimp, Cardi B, and the Moody Blues".

Geee!, Hep Alien and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  22. MikeVielhaber

Yeah, I can agree on Stevie Nicks. She’s deservedly in as part of Fleetwood Mac. I don’t think she had a second career independent of Fleetwood Mac that was hall of fame worthy.

23. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I agree with those who have suggested that the bar is too low and the range is too broad.

There are a lot of artists in the HOF that I like quite a bit, but who haven't really done anything to put them at the very top of the heap, which is what you would think a "Hall of Fame" is for.

And I am not questioning the brilliance of hip hop, or claiming that the fan bases don't overlap, but it just isn't rock and roll.

Hep Alien and GMfan87' like this.
  24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Neither should be there. Just not enough of a body of work, though they were both very good bands.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The Moody Blues have exactly one album that is c0nsidered a classic, by anybody who is not a big Moody Blues fan.

The Moody Blues (along with ELO, Roxy Music, Deep Purple, Faces) are perfect examples of bands that achieved a certain level of fame and influence, but not enough to be considered upper crust. None of them should be in the R&RHOF, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.