25 years ago Kate Bush did Fruitopia commercials

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THANKS! that was great... first time seeing this. : )

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no way! ; )

Moshe and c-eling like this.
  3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I have no problem with an artist contributing work written and aimed at a certain product or TV series. It’s when work previously released or already well-known becomes an advertising slogan that I dislike.
    Obviously in, say, Pete Townshend’s case he can do whatever he wants with his copyrights. Perhaps the erosion of sales royalties have prompted that kind of activity with Pete’s songs.
    There’s many ways of looking at this.

Lemon Curry and Exit Flagger like this.
  4. giumag

giumag Forum Resident

such beautiful short clips that I've always wished could be structured as to create proper
    songs. And then she did 'The Red Shoes' instead....

5. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I agree. Original commercial music and jingles by popular artists can be fun.

I would certainly prefer that to, say, hearing London Calling selling high priced luxury vehicles in prime time.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

25 years later I wouldn't know a Kate Bush song if I heard it. :shrug:

7. Once I learned that Eno had made the Windows 95 clip I sought it out and played it over and over. It didn't sound quite right so I slowed it down by 50% and suddenly it was clear as day that it was Eno, his unmistakable signature. Wish I still had that clip, short as it was.

-s1m0n-

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Thanks heavens they at least gave the option of buying it in cans...I've heard Kate sing notes that could shatter glass...:yikes:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I remember these ads and loved them. Never knew it was Kate, but didn't start listening to her seriously until about 10 years ago.

I still don't understand the stigma of artists using their music for commercials, when the fans (ie: the consumers) are not judged for buying the same products. At least they are making money, while the rest of us are spending it.

Whether or not you (the general fan base that is) want to view music videos or radio play as a commercial for the physical album product, they are; and artists are in sales whether you like it or not. That they make a few extra dollars selling their music to someone other than for your personal pleasure is your hang up. That's my take.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

What I love about this is it gave Kate the opportunity to make a collection of little thirty second tunes. She didn't have to license out of her existing catalog, knowing that her fans had emotional connections to those songs.

11. Chris DeVoe

The Red Shoes was an attempt to create music that could be played on stage by a live band. She apparently really did intend to go out on tour, but wound up getting involved in making The Line, The Cross and The Curve instead.

Moshe likes this.
  12. giumag

giumag Forum Resident

Yes, she did.
    but I've always found The Red Shoes totally out of place in the context her career, musically.
    I was so disappointed when it came out, and it's remained the only one among her records I almost never listen to... :(

13. Yes, with Tetra Pak tip-on jackets.

14. Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

By the way, the podcast I linked to has an additional song from a Fruitopia commercial that only aired in Mexico.

16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Well, that was certainly embarrassing — and not because of the fruit. :doh:

17. Chris DeVoe

Kate considers The Line, The Cross and The Curve "a load of old bollocks" these days, but I like quite a lot of it, this song particularly, as well as Moments of Pleasure.

majorlance likes this.
  18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Can this girl get more cool, don't matter what she does it's just cool. Was trying to think of something outlandish, like voting Tory, she has denied this so she will be forever cool.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Agree. It's all about integrity.

All music is ultimately commercial, so I don't have a problem if an advertising campaign is approached as an expression of art. It transcends the product itself, ultimately. As opposed, like you say, to repurposing older work for a payday.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Like Graeme Thompson wrote, this was a way of using those little bits and scraps of music that she hadn't been able to work into a song. That said, I'd love to hear her explore some of these ideas further.

Yovra likes this.
  21. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I like quite a few of these snippets! Thanks for finding and sharing these!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

My only problem with some of these songs is the 8-bit sound of some of the Fairlight parts. She eventually purchased a higher bitrate Series III, but most of her work was done on a IIx.

ries likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Here's the one that only aired in Mexico:

GoodVibrations47 likes this.
  24. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I thought about Eno, too, while listening to them. We can think of doing commercial jingles as a sell-out, but they can be refreshing (pun intended) for the artist. It gives them a new context and the time limit can engender new creativity.

It made me think of The Residents' Commercial Album.

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I don't know if Kate is familiar with the Residents, but I do know that she loves Captain Beefheart.
    Glad to. Thanks for listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.