~$2500USD turntable/cartridge budget (yet another one of these threads)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rocannon, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocannon

Rocannon Forum Resident Thread Starter

A little history...I started out with an AT-LP120 then moved to a Rega Planar 1. The rest of my system is slowly being upgraded, and I'll be receiving a decent phono pre with MM/MC support here soon. The Rega is the weakest link, and I'm looking to upgrade to a better turntable/cartridge.

My budget it ~$2500 for both turntable and cartridge. I'd prefer to purchase new, and am quite skeptical of used with the exception being Vinyl Nirvana restored Thorens.

Here are some turntables that seem interesting to me and would also leave budget for a decent cartridge:

Technics SL-1200/1210GR, $1699

Mofi Ultradeck, $1999

Vinyl Nirvana restored Thorens, I've seen prices range all over, but nothing significantly out of my budget.

Clearaudio Concept, $1999 with Satisfy Black tonearm

Rega Planar 6, $1595

Sota Comet V, $1750

Marantz TT-15, $1499

Analogueworks TT Zero w/Jelco SA-750 tonearm, $1850

And something a little out of my budget that I'm wondering is worth saving up for:

Upscale Audio's VPI Super Prime Scout, $2899
    Some things that are important to me: quiet backgrounds, no motor noise, inner groove distortion minimized, cartridge swapping, ability to use my own RCA cables.

I'm having a hard time deciding, and could really use some guidance. I know there's a lot of people here with more experience and knowledge, and that's why I'm asking for help in my quest for analog bliss.

2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Lots of good choices within that budget, sonically-speaking.

If it were me, I’d probably go for the Rega Planar 6 w/the excellent Exact 2 cartridge... Rega offers the combo for $1995, IIRC. Fixed headshell arm though, I think (i.e. non-easy cart swapping).

Also good would be the Technics SL1210GR (‘good turntables wear black’ :) ) with the Nagaoaka MP-200 cart and removable headshell arm — all told that’d run about $2,200.

Another option would be the Merrill GEM Dandy Polytable, which I think is now $1995 w/arm. But, may be hard to find a dealer near you.

Nothing wrong with the Clearaudio or Marantz either. Am not a fan of SOTAs. Haven’t heard the AnalogueWorks.

Try to hear at least a couple of ‘tables before you buy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  3. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Well......I'd say that it depends on the rest of your system..........with your budget I'm tempted to recommend a (R)P8 / Apheta 2 or 3 on the used market since that table is way better than the P6. But buying such a sophisticated turntable only makes sense whit a matching phono pre amp that is able to make it shine, not to mention the other amp(s) and speakers.
    When using a phono stage in the sub 800 dollar (give or take) I wouldn't buy a new turntable including MM cart that is more expensive than 1500 dollar.

I bought the Planar 8 / Apheta 2 and hooked it up to my phono pre amp the Arcam Rphono. Although it did sound wonderful things really improved to a whole new level when I connected the table to the Rega Aria.
    You can buy great gear with 2000 dollar, but it can be tricky to figure out which investment is the most rewarding one.....
    But of course it's not only about quality, but personal taste preferences come into account as well. Good luck making the right choices.

Rocannon and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’m not an engineer but if I wanted the least amount of motor noise I’d get the one that has the motor detached from the plinth.

but since this is the SHF I’ll just set my hair on fire and say technics.

5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

At the $1500 to $2000 price range, I really don't think you can wrong with any of the tables you listed. I'm a little partial to the Rega and Marantz options you listed (which is why I sell them), but all of those are great choices. Of course with the Rega, you would have to use the built in the RCA cables.

Rocannon and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  6. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Well Tempered Simplex 2.

Rocannon and Apesbrain like this.
  7. Rocannon

The plug and play of Rega is appealing. Like you said though, no easy cart swapping. Technics GR appeals to me the most right now because of cart swap-ability, and speed accuracy. My friend has a Nagaoka MP-110 which sounds really good. I can only imagine the 200 sounds that much better. I know it isn't a fair comparison, but I heard motor noise in my Lp120 which is a knock off of the 1200. Is motor noise audible in the 1200GR?

GEM Dandy is an option I haven't considered. It looks like a well engineered turntable, and it is made in the USA. Lots of upgrade options as well. Only thing that throws me off is the looks, but that doesn't matter if it sounds great.

There is a place near me that I believe I can demo some tables. That seems like a must with so many options.

Rega P8 would be a huge upgrade, and the Apheta carts are excellent I've read. I would like to hear an MC cart, MM is the only type I've heard/owned. I did see a used one on Audiogon for $2499, but that is without cartridge unfortunately. I'm drawn to buying new though after having some previous bad experiences buying used turntables.

I'll be getting a PS Audio Stellar Phono here soon. I hope that it will bring out the best in most cartridges/turntables. As far as the rest of my system it is okay, but I believe the turntable will be the most noticeable upgrade, and then probably speakers afterwards.

Personal tastes as far as music goes: rock, jazz, ambient, world, and electronic mostly.

Thank you, I hope I make a good choice in the end that I'm happy with!

That exact reason is why I was considering the Analogueworks TT Zero and/or saving up for the VPI Prime Scout. I'll be honest these forums have swayed me towards the Technics. What would you go for though?

Rega is appealing for the ease of setup, included cartridges, dust cover, and overall package. Only things that concern me are the built in RCA cables, and more difficult cart swapping.

Woah this seems really unique. A golf ball in damping fluid, and also what looks like a string to drive the platter. Very cool. What worries me is having no cue lever. I trust myself, but I absolutely don't trust others to not handle the tonearm carefully.

trd and GoldprintAudio like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think this forum can be a bit of an echo chamber that repeatedly screams “Beatles” and “Technics”. Some members only swim around like sharks to take the opportunity carry on endlessly about both topics. I’d say good bit of the passion has a lot to do with Romanticizing the past.

That being said, the choices at this price point are more similar than different and it’s hard to make a bad choice. If noise floor is your biggest priority, I’d go with the VPI. The platter, plinth and detached motor are all exceptional at removing mechanical sounds from the signals. If swapping out carts is something you would like to do frequently or you would like to be easy, stay away from the VPI.

jonwoody, trd, Rocannon and 1 other person like this.
  9. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I just bought a mint condition VPI HW-19 jr with an Audioquest PT-6 and a mint Benz Micro Silver cart for $690 incl shipping and taxes in the original factory shipping box. There’s great deals to be had.

Rocannon and MCM_Fan like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I sure don’t have any motor noise with my SL-1210GR.

I sure don’t have any inner groove distortion with my AT-VM95ML cartridge.

jonwoody, csgreene and Rocannon like this.
  11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Ditto (sort of). Less than a month ago, I picked up a VPI HW-19 Mk3 with an AudioQuest PT-6 arm and a Dynavector 20x2L for $800. I got it from the original owner, with the shipping box and paperwork. It's in like new condition. Truly a wonderful table and cartridge.

The OP didn't mention what he plans to use for a phono stage and if that's included in his $2500 budget. Personally, I'd try to save some money by going for a used table so I'd have enough left for a really nice phono stage. To me, of all my upgrades, the phono stage made the biggest improvement in sound quality.

Pythonman and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

True enough. However, that is the option that actually checks the boxes for the priorities he listed.

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you are basing this purchase on the strength of the cartridge that comes mounted, the Marantz is the winner. That cart by itself cost $900 last I checked.

but....wouldn’t buy a car based on the tires it comes with.

also...just look for any of these tables used on us audio mart or other online marketplaces. It’s a segment that is ripe with upgrade fever. That $2,000 table become $1,000 and you will have a $1,500 budget for a new cart.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s not a bad option at all. My experience is really with the original 1200’s that could once be had for $400 and now sell for $800 with 30 years of use. That table has been painfully over rated and argued about on this forum since the beginning. Many times, those are the same voices that praise the new one. Enough reasonable people like yourself have offered good user reviews that I don’t doubt it’s a fine turntable.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Vpi Prime Scout - $2500.

Put a couple hundred dollar Grado or Soundsmith cartridge on there while you save up for Hana EL or SL.

Just had my traveler fitted with Hana EL and its glorious.

Rocannon and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The only thing on your list, Rocannon, that I would buy (and did) is the Technics. Zero noise from the motor, built like a tank, can normally be had for about 15% off of retail (Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center) at various times of the year. Some people don't think it looks *audiophile* enough or that it's a DJ table (it's not but DJ's realized how bulletproof these would be for the stuff they do). I use the VM95ML with excellent results on my vintage collection of records, most of which I purchased new in the 60's-80's. Very easy to set-up and the only modern turntable I'd own. I am, absolutely, a Technics GR fanboy and for very good reasons. Good luck in your search whatever you end up with.

Rocannon likes this.
  17. andruw000

andruw000 Forum Resident

I currently use a 1210GR, which is probably my second favorite turntable I've owned (after a Technics SL-10). Despite their sound, I certainly don't miss the anxiety of owning vintage linear trackers, but I digress. My point is that many of us go through multiple turntables, so keep resale and ease of sale in mind. Some of those tables hold their value much better than others and are a lot easier to unload quickly.

Rocannon likes this.
  18. Rocannon

I'll abstain from making a wall of quotes again...

@Dennis0675 what makes swapping out carts difficult on the VPI? And like you said, I'd like to have a good turntable as a foundation and then be able to upgrade to better carts down the line. I just browsed us audio mart and audiogon, and saw a couple of deals that are really good. It is tempting to pull the trigger on some of these....

@Pythonman yes, after looking at us audio mart and audiogon, I'm rethinking my choices now...still hesitant about used, but I am seeing some great deals on new stuff as well that I wasn't seeing before.

@Big Blue that's good to know there's no motor noise audible, I just confirmed with a local dealer and they said the same

@MCM_Fan I haven't heard of the VPI HW-19 before, but I'm assuming that's a killer deal. I'm upgrading to a PSA Stellar Phono

@brubacca I've been considering a Hana EL or SL, Soundsmith Carmen, and Ortofon Quintet Black. What kind of music do you listen to?

@csgreene awesome to hear more confirmation of no motor noise. I'm not concerned with looks at all (or I wouldn't even be considering the gem dandy polytable) and even then I think the GR looks a lot better then most of the tables out there.

@andruw000 that's a great point on resale value. I plan on keeping this next table for a long time, and from the prices I've seen of old Technics, it seems they maintain or in some cases go up in value like Dennis0675 mentioned.

Overall, I think I've narrowed it down to the GR, Prime Scout, and Polytable. VPI has b-stock Prime Scout on sale for $2000, and I see a Polytable with Jelco TK-850 MKII 10in tonearm for $2195 on US Audio Mart.

What about cart recommendations in the ~$500-700 range? I listen to rock, jazz, ambient, and electronic. My phono stage is going to be the PSA Stellar Phono which handles both MM/MC. I've heard many rave about the Hana cartrs.

19. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

just an fyi: If you decided on the VPI, there is a brand new Prime Scout available for $2k on audiogon with free shipping and no tax, and you could get a cart in the $500 range for your budget

Rocannon likes this.
  20. Rmbottojr

Rmbottojr Forum Resident

I’ve been extremely happy with my polytable and it keeps getting better as I upgrade components of my system.

Dennis0675 and Rocannon like this.
  21. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Music Hall mmf-9.3
    Built in speed control, 3-layer isolation plinth system, detached motor housing, fully adjustable tonearm, use own cables........about US$2200, probably less if you can speak in discount language.

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 and Rocannon like this.
  22. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

It's a discontinued model. The HW-19 was what kind of put VPI on the the map. Many still use, and love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's an HW-19 Mk3. It has a 12 lb lead filled acrylic platter. The HW-19 Mk4 has a thicker 20 lb. lead filled acrylic platter and larger bearing.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

This takes about twenty minutes to set up, there just isn’t much movement in that headshell. The headshell pops off and if you have a second cart aligned in a second headshell, it’s like changing a light build.

With the VPI the headshell is part of the tonearm with no breaks in the wire from the leads, some would argue a sonic advantage. It’s the fine adjustments and positioning in that headshell that can drive you nuts. Then you have very fine adjustments for the VTA, VTF and azimuth. It requires tools, a ton of patience and wanting to do it too get it done. Setting up the koetsu in that first pic took me about 4 hours on the VPI. The arguable advantage to that would again be better sound. You have a lot of discretion to pick your geometry and set it to what sounds good to you.

[​IMG]

Mad Dog, jonwoody, Rocannon and 2 others like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s a really good looking table. My Thorens 125 has that same kind of floating platter. I wouldn’t ship it or buy one that needs to be shipped unless it was being packed by a pro.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  25. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

That’s a killer table to this day! Heck the cartridge is $1000 all by itself. The Audioquest/Jelco 250ST is supposed to be quite excellent. Haven’t gotten my Jr yet but I’m all setup for it.

Dennis0675 and MCM_Fan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.