27" TV for under $200.00 Question/Help

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Hello All,
    My Son has $200.00 of Birthday money to burn on a 27" TV...That's what his heart is set on and I'm hoping you guys/gals can make some suggestions for him...I've been searching around and haven't found much. All help will be greatly appreciated! It has to be 27"...:)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Have you tried refurbished? I bought my RCA/Proscan many years ago that way. Perfectly fine, saved a lot of money.

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Michael, Sckott's idea may be the best. The cheapest acceptable 27" TV in the latest Consumer Reports is $290.

mud-

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Buy a brick....

KIDDING!!!

TV for $200.00 in Florida?

I have no clue.... pay the tax for him? Give him an advance on his allowance?

:confused:

Good luck, Michael!

(You have a son!?!? Wow!)

5. Michael

What Brand? Does CR have a comparative website?

6. Michael

Sure do, I have a kind, wonderful, musical, intelligent, talented, handsome SON...He's my WORLD...:love:

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Sharp 27U-S600

mud-

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

How about a paper route for the extra 200 or so he'll need to buy a new one!!

9. Michael

Re: Re: 27" TV for under $200.00 Question/Help

WOW! What a great suggestion...:D

10. Michael

We thought of that route...for some reason there isn't much in the way of USED TV's around these parts??...

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This may seem wacky (and please be careful to what you buy when you hit a rock bottom price like this) but the local Pennysaver newspapers sometimes have a local guy who fixes 3-4 year old TV's and sells them cheap....

Or maybe he can settle for a 13"? :)

12. Michael

He now has a 13" with his PS2...He's content with that setup and he is really greatful with what he has...but...Since getting the PS2, He's getting into DVD's and was excited about getting a larger screen size for veiwing Movies...Thanks for you suggestions! :)

13. James RD

James RD Senior Member

There are two or three 27" TVs listed on Best Buy's website for under $200. I would don some body armor and put in some ear plugs and wander on down there if I were you.

14. Michael

I'm going to check their website out now...Thanks James!

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Here's a list from ePinions. Looks like it can be done after all!

27" under $500

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Pricescan.com only shows one under $200, and that is an RCA on sale at Radio Shack for 199.99.

17. GabeG

GabeG New Member

18. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Check CC for the Panasonic CT2713, a good buy @ $279.00, it has s-video and component video inputs. Also the Samsung previously mentioned is an excellent choice. Both are above his budget, but in the long run he'll be happier than he would with an Orion or Apex set which are below $200.00, but as far as I can tell from people I've known who have bought them they are fairly trouble prone.

19. Michael

Any opinions on SANYO?

20. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Yes, Sanyo sets are good, and you can usually find them at Wally World for cheap. My mom has one that is going on 12 years now, of course she is just now starting to have problems with it so will be buying a new set shortly. I'm personally partial to Panasonic and Samsung sets as I like the warmer color temperature these sets have. Sony and Sanyo run a little cooler, but some folks prefer that, to each his/her own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.