2nd disc of Who's Next DE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Does anyone else think the the Young Vic stuff from disc 2 of the Who's next Deluxe Edition is some of the most potent live rock and roll ever? Jesus, Moon's drumming on Pure and Easy IMO may be his best recorded moment ever. Behind Blue Eyes and Bargin seem unfinished but the rest of the Young Vic stuff knocks me on my ass:)

Chris

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

:sigh: I guess that means I need to go buy this too. Maybe it's not too late to add it to my Christmas list. I just ordered the Canadian Hoffman Who's Next from Amazon Canada. Counting my LP and Cassette, this will make six Who's Next purchases for me.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I do like the Deluxe Edition for the add. stuff!!!

4. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

I'm planning to try to turn my 13-year old nephew onto the Who with what I'm dubbing, "A Who Christmas". Trite, sure, but how else will I later include gratuitous references to "Cindy Lou Who", their greatest cartoon groupie?

Anyway, he's a typical 13 year old with what me (and many 38-year olds) consider ridiculously bad musical taste. Enter Who's Next. I was 13 when I was "turned on to it" (I'm waiting for 18 to turn him on to Pink Floyd), so I guess now's as good a time as any.

Question, should I get him this deluxe edition (which I haven't even gotten yet), or stick with the tried and true original. And I'm also considering including the Kids Are Alright DVD in his Xmas prize package, but I don't want to overwhelm the poor kid. As it stands, I'm including historical articles on the impact of the album, various Who posters/pictures etc, buttons, patches.

I know I'll enjoy it. Whether he will, to quote Cheif Wigham of the Simpsons, "God only knows Lou, God only knows"

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Deleted - I responded to the wrong thread.

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Get 'Kids Are Alright' - The supplement that points the camera at Entwistle and plays only the bass line is an incredible thing to see, even if not all the footage was there.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Considering Behind Blue Eyes is currently in the charts, I would suggest a 2CD set is not uncalled for. Have a listen to the second CD. A bit much NoNoise I suspect (although the first disc is OK in this regard), but it's a great concert and sounds better than Isle of Wight or Live at Leeds disc 2

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Without a doubt! I particularly love the version of Young Man Blues on it. That being said, some of the later songs on the disc (notably, WGFA) are a bit tepid by comparison. Even Pete says on the disc some of the new numbers come off a bit "lame." But lame Who kills most other live bands!

The fact that Jon Astley resisted the temptation to edit the tracks as much as he did on the '95 remaster is a good sign too.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I know that the Deluxe Edition of My Generation is not well regarded here (that's O.K. because I have the SACD), but how is the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next? As I recall, people here said that the mastering is better than with My Generation. If so, then how good is Who's Next? How do the original album tracks compare with Steve's version?

By the way, does anyone know if Universal has plans to release the Who's Next Deluxe Edition on SACD?

10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Keith
    They're definitely working on a surround SACD of Quadrophenia and I believe I read somewhere that Who's Next was also in the queue for SACD. WhiteFang and others have rated the disc 1 of the WNDE as one of the best sounding ever.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Ere, thanks for all the information! I thought I had read good things about the Who's Next Deluxe Edition. However, I'm thinking I should wait for the SACD, if it is in the works. Hopefully they would provide a good CD layer on the SACD.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It is the perfect companion disc to Live at Leeds. Of the gazillion live version of Young Man Blues out there, the Young Vic version is my favorite.

Regards,

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Has anyone here purchased the 3 LP vinyl version of Who's Next DE??
    If so, how's the quality of the vinyl and how's the sound?

Thanks,
    Joe L.

14. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Great set IMO. Who's Next is fine, a worthy second-place to Steve's, and the Young Vic stuff is essential, especially (as everyone else has said) "Young Man Blues."

15. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Joe, there's a detailed discussion on the LP here.

The packaging is nice but I would have preferred they had put the original LP on disc 1 by itself instead of cramming (as I recall) one of the live tracks on side 2 after WGFA.

16. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

This is by far a great live recording. It sounds brutal. I just wish I could get my hands on a boot of the New Orleans show from '71.
    I think it was worth getting, and I enjoy the bonus tracks on the first disc like the alternate "Won't Get Fooled Again" which sounds a bit more rocking. But they are both good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.