3 band isolator / graphic equalizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Christopher McEwan, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher McEwan

Christopher McEwan Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've been reading pages from this forum for info for years and finally joined to contribute and ask directly.

I have a Urei 1620LE but have no way to control the band frequency of it (aside from the L&R bass and treble on the unit) . I was considering an E&S 3 band isolator but have not purchased high end audio gear since getting married (another discussion topic I think) so am unsure if the wife is going to go for me spending that much.

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives I could use without lowering the sound quality coming out of the Urei ?

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  2. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

The Schitt Loki 4 band tone control ?
    I think mine was under 150

btarr, 33na3rd, The Pinhead and 2 others like this.
  3. drumhead

drumhead Well-Known Member

+1 for Loki. Very quiet unit. Works like a parametric.

btarr, 33na3rd and The Pinhead like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Another vote for the Loki; just what you're looking for.

Exotiki, Classic Car Guy and 33na3rd like this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

LOKI. LOKI. LOKI. LOKI

Exotiki, 33na3rd and The Pinhead like this.
  6. violarules

violarules Senior Member

This had me intrigued about the Loki, so I looked it up. Why is the lowest Band of the EQ at 20 Hz? That would really be too low to be anything other than a rumble filter. There's very little bass down there. And the next band is 400Hz; certainly not what I would consider Bass frequencies, either. How does this work in reality?

7. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Agreed, Loki is the Schiit.

Had it in the loop for a while, and did not find it detrimental to the sound with my first set up from last year. Cart and phono stage upgrade basically eliminated the need for EQ.

8. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

I wondered the same about the 20 Hz but it works as meant by the designer

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

You turn those knobs until it sounds good and enjoy. I don’t think about the numbers personally, I just appreciate that it works as designed. It’s simple to use and can be turned off with the flick of a lever if desired.

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Taken from the Stereophile review, here is the action of the Cello Palette Preamp, a discontinued product at the opposite end of the price scale as the Loki, but embodying a similar philosophy -- a small number (6) of overlapping bands, meant for quick adjustment by ear.

[​IMG]

The bands are broadly peaked (low Q), so that the 20 Hz band (e.g.) has considerable effect above (and below) its center frequency.

I don't know for a fact that the Loki is designed similarly, but I'd be amazed if it isn't. It's the only sensible way to make an EQ with few bands.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

P.S. The first and third bands of the Cello have the same center frequencies as the first and second bands of the Loki (20 Hz and 400 Hz). The 120 Hz band of the Cello is missing from the Loki. If you're more interested in adjustments around there, the Loki probably won't be for you. There are rumors that Schiit is coming out with a balanced model with more bands -- but those are rumors.

12. I received my Loki last week having a 2 month wait due to Covid. I have simply fallen in love with it. CDs that sounded harsh are now a pleasure. My CD player has 3 outputs. I use one of them via the Loki. It works like a dream. Well built and looks good too!

13. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Gotcha on the low Q. Makes sense that way.

14. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Every knob affects much more than it reports. The 20 Hz goes up to over 100 Hz and the 400 ranges from 200 to 600, roughly

15. Christopher McEwan

Christopher McEwan Member Thread Starter

Ok wow, thanks ! I'm getting the Loki ordered straight away. Was expecting to pay thousands for something that didn't diminish the sound but this little EQ unit looks exactly what I need. Will report back when I have it wired up.

bhazen likes this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

How do like your Loki? I have enjoyed the JDS Labs Subjective3- 3 band but was thinking about upgrading to better control the midbass.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

This equalization has been a big dilemma on several different threading.
    I have the old urei and they are really good especially with the eventide classics and very expensive too which pays off in time.
    is it pro or hifi purpose?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  18. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Defintely the way to go. If youre happy that's all that matters.

Very good point. they might come out with a new one. of course everything especially in production has to improve. This is basically a repetition of the old equalizer all the way back in the early 70's. if youre looking for a certain frequency, you might need to look somewhere else. but like what they said if you dial it and you like the should, that should take care of the mystery. What every youre gonna get, my take is try get your hands with atleast a minimal numbers of IC chip. The urei hardly even has any of those that's why they have an excellent soundstage.

19. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with the Loki, it's so transparent when in the system.
    Another plus is your Urei accepts RCA connections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.