£3 'Bat out of Hell' Mastersound CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jbni, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbni

jbni New Member Thread Starter

Folks,

Long time reader here - I constantly bow to your audio wisdom!

I was in Fopp today and noticed that they're selling the Mastersound gold disc edition of 'Bat out of Hell' for £3 (just over $4).

The only thread I could find was the one started by KeithH in relation to other Mastersound CDs:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=47990

What's the general consensus on this? It is any good audiowise?

It's barcode is: 5099748041128, with 4804112 on the spine.

Thanks for any info.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Is that new or used? The gold disc is long out of print. Regardless, £3 is a great price.

It's been awhile since I listened to the gold disc, but I prefer the original CBS mastering (e.g., the Japanese 25 8P disc) and the SACD.

3. For GBP3 a no brainer - get it.

4. jbni

I forgot to say, that's brand new, still shrink wrapped. I did buy one.

To be honest, there were loads of them. It was the gold CD that caught my attention. It's packaged similarly to AF discs (smaller cover and a see-through front showing the gold CD).

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Picked up one myself today - Fopp in Edinburgh this time. Sound okay, for £3 it wasn't even a discussion for me! Thought it was a bit bright in some ways, but that's on first listening. My only other version was an ancient disc which they'd tacked Deadringer for Love onto about ten years back....annoyed is something of an understatement...!

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The mastersounds I have heard also seemed a little too bright, perhaps it's typical of their style/sound.

7. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

I paid $30 for mine from Amazon! AGH! Soundwise, I don't like it. It doesn't sound "natural," especially during the title track. The Todd Rundgren solo makes my ears bleed during the high notes.

8. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member

Fopp often come up with these out of print bulk deals. When Sanctuary hit the rocks, Fopp bought truck loads of their stuff. They had quite a few Kinks CDs for £3.99 I seem to recall. Good job HMV saved Fopp when they went belly up.

9. tkag

tkag Forum Resident

Buy it and sell it on ebay

!!!

10. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Bought it when it came out and kept it only because "gold" seemed to be more of a value than the regular CD. I should have held on to the LP which I would have given the edge to. I would like to have Steve and/or Kevin get a shot at this on vinyl or gold as it is an enjoyable record with lots of dynamics.

11. jbni

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Where's this FOPP?

13. jbni

Culabula,

I see you're from Belfast. Me too, although I'm now living in Nottingham.

Fopp is a chain of shops kind of like HMV - they sell CDs, DVDs, t-shirts etc.

BUT, they're not in Northern Ireland. I've only seen them in England and Scotland (I lived in Glasgow too). I'm guessign there's some stores in Wales.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

15. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

17. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

In case anyone is still looking for this CD I was in HMV in Derby today and they had them on sale for £3 (they're upstairs (there were about 5 of them) on the backwall if anyone is going looking for them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.