3 Body Problem (Netflix new si-fi series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pdxway, Mar 22, 2024.

1. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Takes a few episodes to get going, but overall am enjoying it.

Agreed. Some of the effects are surprisingly iffy considering the squillions they've spent.

The "impossibly gorgeous" scientist (as I think someone referred to her earlier) is the weak link acting-wise. Otherwise the casting is pretty solid.

Curious as to why the aliens are incapable of lying. Is that explained in the books? Lucky that they can't or there wouldn't be a story, I guess.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  2. gabacabriel

Can someone answer me this?:-

If a sophon can be instantly expanded/unfolded, why don't the aliens expand them in scientists' heads and literally blow their minds ie murder all the top scientists and send us back to the dark ages before they finally show up? Are they trying to give us a chance to defend ourselves!?!

Maybe I just don't understand how Sophons work :D

3. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate

I think that at this point the aliens are not necessarily planning a war of conquest. Could they do it later? Maybe, but the physics of how to unfold higher-dimensional objects into 3D space a little beyond me.

4. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Netflix once again proves that they are masters of wasting large amounts of money.

Daryl M and the no guy like this.
  5. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The third book of Three Body was a glorious mess IMHO). I struggled through it at times and was fascinated at times. I am slowly going through the Chinese version of 3 Body (27th of 30 episodes) and binged the 8 episodes of the English version. I find it remarkable how the two versions complement each other and bring into focus the important pats of the book.

6. gabacabriel

So I finished Season 1. Overall it was .... ok. The final couple of episodes tailed off, for me at least.

Can't say if I'll stick around for the next series. I'll likely have forgotten all about it by the time Season 2 rolls around.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

There’s an official podcast if anyone is interested. On the first episode, the show runners talk about hoping to get a second season, because there is an episode they think will hook the audience a la “the red wedding”.

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Could you explain what you mean by this? TIA

DLD likes this.
  9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Of using nanofibers to shred the ship into a complete mess to find evidence? Were they even thinking they'd destroy this evidence easily with such random destruction let alone trying to find anything in the wreckage afterwards?

10. Anaplian

IIRC in the book they do discuss the risk of destroying evidence by using nano fibres - but they decide that it's unlikely to happen

robertawillisjr and mr. steak like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the hope was, the alien evidence would survive no matter what, and they'd always be able to retrieve it somehow. (Not that much of a reveal: they didn't show too much about what happened to the children, except for one shot... and that one was pretty sad and gruesome. I want some of that nanofiber stuff.)

I got a good laugh out of seeing a pocket-sized alien hard drive that had 100 Petabytes on it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mr. steak likes this.
  12. the no guy

the no guy Cat on the moon

Another plot hole:

How did the aliens communicate with the Chinese woman back in 1977? They seemed to be in instant communication despite the 400 light year difference.

And this is years before the invention of Whatsapp.

13. Anaplian

…it’s not 400 light years - it's 4.21 light years. IIRC the book makes it clear that Ye Wenjie was at the Red Coast base for a *long* time. This isn't so clear in the TV series.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it's kinda clear...they give dates before the flashback scenes. but if you're not looking at the screen at that moment you'll miss it.

15. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I thought the series was interesting and well done. The acting was inconsistent, some of the actors did a much better job then others. It had some good plot twists and stand out scenes. Hopefully it continues for another season.

pdxway likes this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It hit most of the main story beats from the three books. I like that they've brought in plots and concepts from the second and third books.

Looking forward to the next season.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I got to the third episode and was pretty disappointed to find that
    they killed off John Bradley's character. I guess they wanted a Game of Thrones-style unexpected death, but did it have to be him? And so early on? He was the only fun character in the show.

ubiknik likes this.
  18. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Best SF series in decades , on par with 'Devs'.
    More please.

DLD, tman53, Anaplian and 1 other person like this.
  19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Kind of spoiler-y. It'll be explained later, I think. But it's a alien ploy. Wikipedia has a good overview.

dougotte likes this.
  20. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I started it and got to around the 6th episode. Follows the books more closely, but it's a struggle reading the subtitles. They flash by too quickly. There are different actors playing different characters. (I like the male character playing the main role in nanotech firm, vs. the female one in the Netflix version), I may return to it after I finish the Netflix episdoes.

EddieMann likes this.
  21. Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius Well-Known Member

I prefer a picture dubbed, no subtitles because if I have to read it I spend less time watching the visuals and maybe miss something important.

Morpheus, EddieMann and drgn95 like this.
  22. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Some scientist smoke weed. Google it.

nutsfortubes and Anaplian like this.
  23. the no guy

the no guy Cat on the moon

I am a scientist, a real one, and do not smoke weed.

RockNRod likes this.
  24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

But you are not the 'only' scientist in the world.

Kevin j and Anaplian like this.
  25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I am now on episode 9 of the Tencent version. Slower pace for sure, and I too wish it was dubbed. But I am enjoying it.