(3) Turntables, which one would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

dolsey01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I have a VPI but I don't have their speed controller. Maybe someone who does have one can pitch in? I'd think that getting the platter speed dead nuts would be the effect of that controller.

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

1200 for ease of use and peace of mind. Knowing that it's regularly used in sound archives is a plus for me also.

Wngnt90 and snorker like this.
  4. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I have a Classic Signature table outfitted with an HRX Pulley (with two belts) and controlled by an SDS. I use a Speed, Gyroscope App on my iPhone to determine the speed.

Once the belts have broken in, the platter speed stays "spot on". I check the speed occasionally and it very seldom varies. I like the SDS as you can also adjust the 45 rpm, and at the flip of a switch change speeds, no need to move a belt up and down a stepped pulley.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  5. Technics, mainly because I'm a "quartz-locked direct drive" guy. All of my life I've been extremely picky about a turntable spinning at the precise speed (which doesn't mean that it must have a 0.00000001% WMRS spec number either), and I've never fully trusted belt drive turntables in that regard.

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I was firmly in the belt drive camp before, but I’ve seen the light.

Wngnt90 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  7. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I like the VPI Direct Drive but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment! :uhhuh:

nosliw, FashionBoy and mreeter like this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Would love to hear a comparison between that one and the SL-1200G! I mean, check out Analog Planet and listen to how well the G acquitted itself against Fremer’s Continuum.

avanti1960 and FashionBoy like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

VPI Prime. I prefer the high mass platter, detached motor and 3D tonearm.

Blacker background/lower noise floor.

SandAndGlass and mreeter like this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'd take the VPI with a budget for speed controller. I've never worked with a VPI tonearm, so…

I like the heavy platter, but I'd rather not have a metal platter. Tough choice, really. Final call would have to do with IF I wanted to do cartridge swaps I suppose and/or if I planned on having multiple tables.

VPI wins on the isolated motor.

11. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

VPI, because I recently moved to a Scout Jr. from a Rega and love the difference. More depth, dynamics, and detail, plus it just feels better built all the way around.

Never heard a 1200 even though I own one (DJ table that I plan to fix up one day, used up till now to help clean records - should be a fun project).

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'd go with it's because most audiophiles have never heard a good direct drive table table setup correctly with a good cartridge in a good system. Instead they go off all the hype and stereotyping that was spread around in the 70s and 80s. My SL1200 sounded better than the Project tables I heard and was pretty comparable to an RP3. It took going to an RP6 to get an easily noticeable improvement. The improvements were more detail and a bigger sound. The 1200G has all that plus an instrumental realism for lack of a better phrase.

13. Belt-drive turntables are easier to manufacture than direct-drives. Add some clever marketing tactics (like "best sense of rhythm", for instance) to the equation, and premium brands can then charge premium prices without going into much hassle. A direct-drive made by an audiophile brand will cost you real big.

(Strictly my perception and opinion, of course. No facts are being stated here)

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It's a fact that the circuitry associated with the speed control and other features costs money if you don't have an economy of scale to some degree. Probably more profit in plinth/arm/motor/platter designs. Personally, I don't find having an external speed control problematic. I like it being modular because you can swap in a new one and keep the table rolling.

I also think some of the preconceived ideas about belt/dd have faded. I think people generally understand the design weaknesses of both.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Speed stability, ease of use, build quality, no mdf, serious machine looks, archival use...Yes, it's the G.

russk, Robert C and beat_truck like this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

VPI Prime. Then the Technics, then the Rega.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Oh, it wasn't clever marketing more like online opinions.

'will cost you real big'

I see - yes, the direct drive VPI is around £6,000 in the UK. But then a belt-drive can also cost big, too. Like this Linn at £23k: Linn Klimax LP12 Of course that is an exception.

But in terms of the TTs in this thread question, the Technics SL1200G listed above is actually nearly a £1000 more than the Rega RP8. Is it generally true that to get a good quality direct drive you will need to spend more?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    displayname likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is it possible that direct-drive are better sonically and quality-wise than they used to be?

19. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Great engineering, exceptional speed stability and pitch control, removable head shell for easy cartridge swaps! And great price considering the handmade in Japan quality.

20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Not sure what you’re seeing there...The VPI direct drive is $30,000, which is also about £23k.

BrokenByAudio and mr.datsun like this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I’ve owned a Scout, RP3, and still (and will likely always) own a 1200mkII. Something about the 1200 ergonomics that just makes it extremely satisfying to use. I too love the ability to easily swap carts. I did have a second arm for the Scout so it did allow me to gat that fix, but it was still not nearly as easy as the 1200. The Rega was just a huge disappointment. Not that it did not sound nice, it did, at least after some simple mods. I’m sure the RP8 is a huge step up. I hated the complete lack of torque. And I guess I am old school as I want my TT to have some heft to it.

Also always wonder why Project does not get included in these surveys. I think having a big presence in the low end gets them shoehorned into that mold, but their offerings at the $1800-3000 point are truly excellent yet get no mention.

SandAndGlass, bluemooze and Shoalcove like this.
  22. FashionBoy

Can you elaborate?

snorker likes this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You're right I was misled by the name 'VPI classic' when I looked them up in the UK. That real price is out of my dreams.

snorker likes this.
  24. FashionBoy

Also forgot the VTA adjustment!

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You had a Prime and an SL-1200G?

AudiophilePhil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.