3 Years ago today... Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyldad62, May 18, 2020.

1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I was just listening to Audioslave yesterday, and a bit of Soundgarden. Never realized how depressing (but great) his Lyrics were, till I thought about his death.

RIP, great singer/songwriter

2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Happy Birthday Chris!:sigh:

Bingo Bongo and GoodKitty like this.
  3. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Miss him :cry:

Chrome_Head and GoodKitty like this.
  4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I wonder how much stuff like this they have. I know there's stuff the Soundgarden guys want to finish/release. Not sure if "Patience" is something he recorded randomly or as b-sides for Higher Truth.

Spastica likes this.
  5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I read somewhere that he may have been doing a covers album. I hope everything in the vault gets released....first off, release like 10 Songbook or Higher Truth solo shows. I'll eat all of them up. He did some amazing stuff live. I don't want to milk his legacy, but if stuff like this is in the vaults, release the hounds.

6. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

It says he recorded the song in March 2016. Stylistically I'd say if sounds with Higher Truth album vibe for sure

Boomy likes this.
  7. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Thanks! I guess I glazed over that information.

Yeah, sounds like that point in time.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Me too. I saw some merch was released today. I don't actually care about any of that. If it's new music, stuff that was meant to be released one day, I would definitely love that.

mattdm11 and Soundslave like this.
  9. Power Windows

Power Windows Forum Resident

Even now I am still shocked about his cause of death. I just was not expecting it at all. But maybe some signs were there if you listen to some of his lyrics.

He was one my favourite rock vocalists of all time. I would only put Elvis and Layne Staley along with him in my top 3. It is difficult to choose a favourite.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I'm not wearing a tin foil hat, but I'm still not convinced of what happened that night. No one tries to get their Apple TV to work and then says 30 minutes later well, I guess I'll kill myself....in Detroit....in the middle of a tour. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me.

11. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Doesn’t make sense with me either. Apparently Chris and Chester Bennington from Linkin Park were working on a documentary about child sex trafficking called The Silent Children that is coming out soon, however Snopes.com says it’s false, but funny how they both end up dead not even two months apart though. Also, when I first heard Chris had “committed suicide” the very first thing I thought of was his comment he made about Kurt Cobain’s death in the Pearl Jam 20 documentary. He says something along the line of “he didn’t have to go ahead and blow his ****ing head off” at first I thought of Chris as a wicked hypocrite after hearing that he killed himself but then I saw TMZ posted the crime scene photos from the hotel he was in and from where his body supposedly was there’s no way he could’ve strangled himself with the elastic band, and then there’s the excessive amount of blood on the floor as well. Then finding out recently about that documentary him and Chester were rumored to have been working on was the nail in the coffin for me.

Here is a Twitter page dedicated to pointing out discrepancies in the crime scene photos and bringing forth information about people that Chris knew personally who were also friends of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.

EXPOSING THE DEATH OF CHRIS CORNELL (@cornelldeath) on Twitter

WHMusical and mattdm11 like this.
  12. Power Windows

I always felt that his death was very suspicious. Calling it a suicide never sat well with me. It is just a felling that I always had.

ebro likes this.
  13. Power Windows

After watching that video I remembered that he was supposedly on some kind of drugs. I guess he wasnt in his right mind when deciding to take his life. Or maybe it was an accident. He could have been fooling around with the rope because of the drugs.

14. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

We will probably never know......I've heard about that documentary as well, but that doesn't make sense to me either, I mean who is Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington to do that kind of research and to get involved? It's like randomly saying that Michael Stipe is working on a documentary on Chinese sweat shops....it's just so random, I guess I don't know the history there.

We tend to not want to believe the simplest answer, and I hate being conspiracy guy, because you can have a conspiracy about everything. Hell, I did a speech in college on how Kurt Cobain was murdered, because you read the facts of that case and there's almost no way he could have done it. The amount of heroin he had in his system, the different handwriting on the second part of the note....all this stuff you go down into the rabbit hole on if you want. What kind of man in his right mind with no chemicals or drugs in his system just gives up on life like that? You don't know what was going through his head but it sure seems like an odd set of facts. At least Chester did it at his home, which to me makes sense, but the fact he did it on Cornell's birthday....were they that close that he thought it was poetic, or was that someone's sick idea of irony? Someone out there knows, but it sure isn't me.

ebro and Power Windows like this.
  15. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

When I woke up that morning and saw the alert, I told myself it had to have been a heart attack. When I heard it was the rope, I thought it was accidental.

16. Power Windows

I read that he spoke out against billionaire elites during a concert a few days before his death. So that gives us something to think about.

ebro likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

18. Power Windows

I have done some more reading and to me it makes more and more sense that he was murdered.

mattdm11 and ebro like this.
  19. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

This came up on my phone as something I'd like.....umm, I know he released some songs acoustically (like Scream itself).....did not know about this one. Was this released audio only, like on his website? I mean, if he made a video, I would think so? I can't find anything about this online.

20. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Tonight is the fateful 4 year anniversary of his and Soundgarden 's last concert in Detroit. Tommorrow is 4 years gone...:cry:

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This time of year again already?

I've been renovating my new place with some friends, and made some playlists that I have been blasting which heavily favor Soundgarden and some Chris solo stuff. How does the stuff seem to sound better and better over time, all these years later?

miller_time22 and AlexDelarge like this.
  22. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I have been playing Temple Of The Dog a lot lately.

That's a f***ing great album!

Rest In Peace ... can't believe it's been 4 years now.

23. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Really? In a million years?!?

Ever pay attention to his lyrics? He was in a very dark place throughout his life. Depression and rage with drug addiction fueling it.

Blow Up the Outside World
    Boot Camp
    Black Saturday
    By Crooked Steps
    Taree
    Worse Dreams
    Bones of Birds
    Fell On Black Days
    Mailman
    Fresh Tendrils
    Worried Moon

We're lucky he didn't off himself during the recording of Superunkown. Only album from the 90s that might be darker is Mad Season's Above.

Only thing surprising is the timing of it(after a show). I also don't think we got the full story on that. That phone call with his wife was probably much worse than we were led to believe.

I don't believe any of the conspiracy nonsense. Every celebrity death has to be a conspiracy now.

Drug user who's dealt with depression and is in a ****ty marriage kills himself after a phone call with his wife.

I see no grassy knolls in the distance.

I was hoping Fascination Street was going to be on the covers album.

Maybe on Vol. 2.

Where does the time go?

I had been at CA Great America (amusement park) all day/night. When I got home that night I heard the news.

It hit me really hard. It still does. That voice silenced forever.

Cantrell hit the nail on the head....

That's not how the story was supposed to end.

Zomax, WHMusical, stax o' wax and 4 others like this.
  24. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Room a Thousand Years Wide!

Soundslave and miller_time22 like this.
  25. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

I know man, this is not how it was supposed to end. I'm aware of all of the songs ( you forgot Pretty Noose btw) with the "doing myself in " theme. I have just always thought something was off about the whole thing, if for no other reason than because he had three kids he surely loved more than anything. I can't relate to being that selfish and then there is the whole Chester Bennington thing that's weird. I don't know, it just sux. I think the following lyrics he wrote for "Through The Window" from Higher Truth are some of his best ever...

I wish that I could find a seed and
    Plant a tree that grows so high
    So that I could climb
    And harvest the ripe stars
    For you and I to drink and
    Spit the ashes from our mouthes
    And put the gray back in the clouds
    Send them packing without bags
    Of old regrets and sorrows
    Cuz they don’t do a thing
    But drag us down
    So far down

Miles1968, vinyldad62 and Chrome_Head like this.