30-disc studio & live box coming from Gentle Giant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

I meant that the Bicentennial doesn't sound as good as the soundboards in the box. All of them. Bicentennial has some distortion, as i recall, and unpleasant harshness. I didn't hear that in the soundboards in UT.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And now showing as unavailable again! Looks like you chaps have snapped up their allocation! :)

3. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Thanks, but my question is which shows from the box are soundboards. As far as I have understood that all of them are sourced from audience tapes except for Playing the Fool multitracks.

4. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Unburied Treasure
    This should provide more details.

jay.dee likes this.
  5. agn

agn Forum Resident

You won't be sorry. It is amazing. So much to listen too. So much to read. And I highly recommend John Kelman's brilliant and expansive write up here: Gentle Giant: Unburied Treasure

6. agn

agn Forum Resident

It comes in its own box and mine came from England with no issues.

DPM likes this.
  7. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Yes sir, I have read that review, great stuff as usual. And John's review is partially responsible of me pulling the trigger, but I won't send him a bill:tiphat:

8. John Kelman

No, not true, the following are soundboards:

New Orleans 1972
    Torino 1973
    Cleveland 1975
    Chester 1977
    The Roxy, 1980

Four ‘76 shows are multitrack sources, so that leaves seven of a total of sixteen live shows ( to including the ‘77 Pinewood Rehearsal or ‘72 BBC recordings) source from audience recordings.

Hope this helps.

9. John Kelman

Thanks for the shout out!

10. John Kelman

Thanks. If you did I’d just have to give you the same reply I give anyone who tries: the Cherie is in the mail.... :D:D

alakulju likes this.
  11. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

For those of you that have this box set, are the Power and the Glory and Octopus cd’s in this set the Steven Wilson remixes or are they the original mixes?

12. John Kelman

As per my review (sorry, but had to say it!), these are all remasters from the original master tapes by Pete Reynolds. The only Steven Wilson remix is of the first album, and only on the blu ray disc, where it also has instrumental mixes. None of his remixes are on CD.

13. John Kelman

Hm/ I thought I typed cheque :yikes:

14. RustyStatic

RustyStatic Forum Resident

Has anyone spent time with this set yet? I am certainly an amateur, but I can't get over the feeling that this latest remaster of the first album is just super muddy and lacking definition. I know the album itself kinda suffers from that overall... but when I A/B it with the Vertigo 842 624-2, the latter just sounds a lot brighter and less murky. But I don't know if THAT itself is artificial? Wondering how this latest remaster is hitting folks who have more experience with this album than I do. (I feel like it hits me most acutely on "Giant"... I'm sitting here listening all the way through again and I mean, this album is GREAT... but I'm asking myself, is this the single best copy I can own?)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I am a huge fan of GG and was seriously thinking of not ordering it for the same reason as you coupled with the high price. However, I am now really glad I did buy it. I was focused on the music included and thinking the CDs I didn't have didn't really amount to the cost, but oh my, the books included are incredible. They easily helped to make this box worth the price. It is a beautiful set, and now that I see it, I really can't complain.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My recollection of the old Vertigo CD for the self-titled is that it is thin and hissy. So it's possible that the treble was boosted. But it's been 15 years or so since I have last heard it.

17. Vinylboenk

Vinylboenk Well-Known Member

I have had the time to listen to some of the studio albums "GG" up to "In a Glass House" and i must say that the are very near the original vinyls. Very natural sounding and great dynamics, just as the Original Tapes must have sounded. (au naturel .....)
    Sure one could argure that earlier cd versions sound brighter but that's just not what the original vinyls were like.
    These Unburried Treasure Masters try to stay very faithful to the original sound.
    I'm In heaven

:D

18. John Kelman

In different words, but absolutely my impression of Pete Reynolds’ remasters. Very true to what I have always imagined the masters to sound like, and certainly my favourite remasters to date (in order to distinguish from Steven Wilson’s fab remixes, which are another thing entirely).

19. RustyStatic

RustyStatic Forum Resident

@Plan9 @Vinylboenk @John Kelman

Sincere thanks for your opinions - I am really enjoying what I’m hearing; your comments have put my mind at ease that I’m hearing the studio albums as they ought to be. That helps me to shut off the “questioning brain” and just dig in and have my mind blown by this outrageous catalog of music. Cheers!

20. Magic_Rainbow

Magic_Rainbow Forum Resident

I waited a lot for Amazon.ca to come through and they didn't. Got worried I end up overpaying for those independent online shops that stock a few and sell them for double when this goes out of stock. Ended up buying from burningshed. They shipped the next morning, now I wait. My pre-order price from amazon.ca was attractive, ended up paying another 50 dollars for burningshed, plus that FedEx will charge me for clearance when it gets here. What did you end up doing?

21. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

No, they don't in this case. When in the middle of the ordering process — which I didn't complete — this came up:

Sub-Total (exc. VAT): £208.33
    VAT (20%): £41.67
    Total: £250.00

So naturally, as Burning Shed's own FAQ states, "“As a UK company Burning Shed charges VAT to all UK and EU customers on physical products,” and has been the case in the past, I expected when I got to the make payment page, it would be £208.33 plus about £30 shipping to the US. However, it came up as £250 plus £30 with the next step to go to Paypal or use my credit card. I removed the item from my cart and called Burning Shed. Here is what I was told: "In the UK and EU, the price is £208.33 plus the VAT. For all other customers not in those areas, THE RECORD LABEL (MADFISH) says the price is £250."

Asking the logical question, I said, "So, literally no one in the world can actually get it for £208.33." His reply: "Correct." Sorry, but this is a blatant ripoff to juggle the figures that way. I expect that on my phone and satellite bills with all sorts of fees tacked on, but when you order anything from Amazon.uk — and usually Burning Shed — the VAT is deducted, but since Madfish have decided the price is a flat £250 worldwide, there is virtually no way for anyone to get it at the non-VAT price.

It is cheaper from both ImportCDs and Collectors' Choice, but ... both list it as "Back ordered," and given the supposed one-time limited pressing of 2000 copies, who knows if either will actually get any more copies. I'm tempted to order from one of them, but am afraid "Back ordered" will turn to, "Sorry, item is unavailable." That extra £42 translates to $56, and that's not a drop in the bucket. Madfish? Smells more like Badfish...:mad:

ti-triodes, JediJoker and KCLizard like this.
  22. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Just tried it myself, same result, I was on the fence, for that one, but now, I guessed , they called the shot for me, I will not buy it. I do not subscribe to this kind of commercial behavior. Thanks for the info.

Geof likes this.
  23. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

24. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

They should have made the number of discs in this set to be pi to the last digit.

25. John Kelman

Normally, BS does remove VAT but, like you, I've run into rare occasions where it is not...and it's invariably a label demand, not the site itself. So yes, Madfish is the culprit.

That said? It's still worth the price ... at least, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.