30-disc studio & live box coming from Gentle Giant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

They live recordings improve substantially once you get past the "historically important" older recordings.

dubious title and JediJoker like this.
  2. jcarr73729

I was having another replay of the boxed set studio albums yesterday, and for this listener they are well-mastered and full of dynamic range.
    Like 'albertop' above, I think these boxed set releases sound better than the flat 24-bit transfers bundled with the SW remixes.
    However, I still turn to the 24-bit stereo SW remixes where available, for the added detail, clarity and that little extra 24-bit stereo offers over 16-bit.
    The back catalogue, before the SW releases, was all over the place, and there were some pretty poor-sounding releases.
    I had the same issue of variable back catalogue before the Wishbone Ash 'Vintage' boxed set, and for me both WA and GG now have a fantastic-sounding legacy in one box.

3. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

How so? Hi just remixed some album songs in stereo, but not the entire album?

4. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

The multi-track tapes of a number of GG songs are nowhere to be found, so far. In those cases, the stereo masters were tweaked but could not be remixed.
    The missing tracks might turn up someday. After releasing Three Piece Suite, the rest of the multi's were found for the first album and Steven Wilson remixed the alum for the boxed set.

5. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

The box set mastering of "Octopus" is better than the Japanese SACD, the Alucard CD and the Steven Wilson flat transfer? Cheers.

6. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Agree 100%,

The Live ones , I have reached 1975 now (I listened to them in chronological order), I have found that some have Low Fi , others (BBC session + New Orleans) quite good, Munster being better than the boot I have, they "sounds" better than some of the Larks 72 boxset so far.

74 St-Gallen quite good.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Just got email that my order from Collectors Choice was cancelled...

JediJoker likes this.
  8. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

My Amazon order from November was finally cancelled earlier this month. Reordered with Burning Shed and eagerly awaiting the repress.

9. Swordsandchains

i cant bring myself to pay that much from Burning Shed...it was only $278 total from CCM. From BS its going to cost $325 PLUS shipping...

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That CCM price was never real though..nobody has ever sold it that low so it was just an advertised price that they probably realized would cost them money so they cancelled the orders. The cost of this box is pretty much standard no matter where you get it..I got mine from Amazon Canada and once you factored in the tax and not having to pay the customs charge to get it into Canada it was only about a $20 difference that ordering direct from BS.

11. Swordsandchains

the only place to order the new box right now looks like directly from BS. But after all GBP to USD conversation rates and shipping this heavy ass box across the ocean, no way i can afford $400 on this.

ill just wait until i can find a deal on them after they made too many on this second run.

12. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Don't hold your breath:wiggle:

13. Swordsandchains

I wont but maybe i get lucky like on the Wishbone Ash box i found on ebay around time of release that was opened but min and only cost me $175.

otherwise i guess i save $400 for something else. I really only want the studio albums, blu ray, and book anyways. Will never listen to all the Live stuff

14. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Ugh, that's not a good sign. I haven't gotten an email from them yet, though... when did you place your order, if you don't mind my asking?

15. Swordsandchains

january 6

i checked their site, and there is no longer a listing for it either...

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Question for those of you who have placed an order with Burning Shed for the Gentle Giant set: are they charging your credit card when you place said order or holding off until they actually ship the set?

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I got a cancellation from CCM, as well. Drat.

18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Cannot say for the GG boxset but usually BS are charging from the order confirmation, pre-orders included.

JediJoker and DPM like this.
  19. jcarr73729

That is my experience too, across a number of purchases.

20. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

They charged you upon making the order.

DPM likes this.
  21. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Well now I’m getting curious since I ordered from CCM on 1/9 and have yet to get an order cancellation email from them. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time, but I can’t imagine they got so many orders that’s it’s taking them multiple days to send them out...

22. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Got my cancellation email :cry:

JediJoker likes this.
  23. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

hi, in all the pages of this thread I haven't seen any reviews of the full 5.1 mix of the debut album.

Anyone care to chime in with their opinion on it? In particular interested in views on Alucard in surround

thanks

Plan9 likes this.
  24. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Gentle Giant's Unburied Treasure | Louder

[​IMG]

A short general article/interview with Derek about UT. At first I thought it was written by Sid Smith but it's Sid Smtth, who, as it turns out, is really Sid Smith! You think it's a typo but there is another article in Prog on Amon Duul II with the same spelling. Go figure.

25. For those who get the set, enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.