30-disc studio & live box coming from Gentle Giant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironrod94

ironrod94 Well-Known Member

i was wondering about the sound quality of the studio albums on this box set? how do they compare with the line versions counterparts, terrapin, or one way?

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They sound flat, very laid-back, but in a good way. I think they have taken a minimalist approach with mastering, but still corrected the "problems" a few albums had (In A Glass House and Giant For A Day sound good here).
    Overall the box is great if you want all the discography with good sound all at once.

pulpo, ParloFax, ironrod94 and 2 others like this.
  3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Somehow, mine made it all the way from Merry Old England to the end of the Oregon Trail in two days. It arrived so fast, I wasn't even around to sign for it! But why is an "adult signature" required for a box set? o_O

Norco74 likes this.
  4. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

It's fun to read the posts of folks that are starting to receive the second wave of this great box set.
    Your apparent joy is a nice antidote to all the covid stuff on the internet.

It's a great set from a great band. Enjoy!

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  5. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Listeners can decide for themselves, however in my opinion the boxed set CDs of the studio albums are the best digital versions of the original master tapes I've heard.
    I do prefer the Wilson hi-res stereo remixes where they are available, but I am still very impressed with the boxed set studio albums sound quality.
    I have yet to read or hear of anyone who believes that previous CD releases of the original stereo masters are better than the ones in the boxed set.

6. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Sound quality is fine - I mean I'm not really an audiophile, so it sounds okay to me. No excessive brick walling anyway that I can hear. You'll be pleased if you decide to pick one up.

ironrod94 likes this.
  7. ironrod94

ironrod94 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your answers! It seems this is a great chance to have all gentle giant plus the rare live cds shows.

Plan9 and jay.dee like this.
  8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

A policy for some stores is to require a signature for more expensive items. I guess a $300 box set would apply!

JediJoker likes this.
  9. Trainspotting

Mine was just left in front of my apartment door. No signature required.

10. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Odd. FedEx?

11. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Just received it.
    Opened it up and took a quick look before I have to go to work.
    Wow......this looks exciting!
    I'm stoked to do some listening to this beautiful box set tonight.

GreggF likes this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

This box is just incredible! Saw GG live on the In A Glass House tour best concert I ever been to hands down! Ray Shulman blew my head off with the violin solo! Kerry Minnear’s keyboards sound we’re so awesome and Gary Green what a guitarist and John Weathers blew me away with his drumming. Derek Shulman was the consummate frontman and all the instruments these guys played was really hypnotic what a show what a band what a box set! So happy more people are experiencing just how good Gentle Giant were.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If I could pick a tour to have seen by them that would be the one!

old school likes this.
  14. I saw them live just the tour before that one, that is in the spring of '73. It must have been nerve-wracking for them to have just turned from a 6-piece band to a 5-piece one - given the back catalogue they still needed to perform on the stage (which included some new a capella singing parts non-singer Gary Green had just inherited from Phil Shulman!) and how stylistically/instrumentally demanding their new music had remained and would need to remain still for a while... And yet - yes - they nonetheless delivered a helluva show!

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    jay.dee and old school like this.
  15. noname74

Do you guys think they lost something they never quite captured again after Phil left?

16. old school

old school Senior Member

Not me, In A Glass House is my favorite studio album by them. Derek took over for Phil on sax, cello could play the bass and other instruments. Phil left because he could not handle the road and lack of commercial success and missed his family to much being ten years older than the rest of the guys.

JediJoker and GreggF like this.
  17. noname74

Yah, live I think they were ok without him however I personally missed his 2-3 songs on the albums.

old school and ParloFax like this.
  18. I do too. But they turned into something different in a way, say by "The Power...", more funky/in your face sonically, in the studio.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    old school and noname74 like this.
  19. old school

old school Senior Member

Phil Shulman will be 83 years old in August. He looks great!

20. Sandy Dee

Sandy Dee Forum Resident

Just received my copy , alas no band photo...:cry:

21. The Czar

The Czar New Member

I was wondering if there are any lyrics in the books or cd packaging?

22. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

The book that details each album includes the cover art, and any lyrics that were printed on that cover art.
    There is no separate listing of the lyrics included:
    Lyrics on cover art: GG/ATT/TF/O/TPATG
    No Lyrics: IAGH/FH/I/TMP/GFAD/C

JediJoker likes this.
  23. Trainspotting

I really enjoyed my box. Still slowly making my way through all the live stuff too. Played Wilson's 5.1 mix of the first album again a couple of days ago and I liked it so much I ordered his 5.1 mix of Power and the Glory which will be here next week.

24. The Czar

The Czar New Member

Do you have the Octopus 5.1?
    I liked that a lot

25. The Czar

The Czar New Member

Thanks for the info.
    I decided that there's too much repetition in the box set. I already own every studio album except for civilian and that's just because I can't find it for a decent price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.