30 years Of Sting The Great & Really Bad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yeah, there's a pretty strong correlation for me between if Sting is playing bass and if I like the music he's making.

phillyal1 likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The album about his dad's death (Soul Cages) was about my last straw. Some good songs, sung with passion, but he was losing touch with rock music. Field of Gold was awful, just MOR faceless pop.
    He's done some interesting stuff on Tribute albums and soundtracks, but I couldn't tell you anything he's done in the last 5-7 years.

3. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Like many - I was a huge fan of Stings work - right up until 1994 - and then oddly - I simply stopped following him.

Never had any interest in anything he has done since.

I do think there is one more great rock/pop album in him - hopefully he feels the same.

VP

4. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I disagree. I think that it's a very pretty song, and it especially works in the context of the album. The rest of Ten Summoners' Tales doesn't really sound like that.

dcincinci and Szeppelin75 like this.
  5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I enjoyed everything up thru Sacred Love. I call myself a Sting fan. But everything since has been a waste of money. Labyrinth, symphonicities, winters Night and Last Ship were all big missteps to me. I wish he would do another standard pop album.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Anything after Brand New Day is pretty horrible so it's been over 15 years of bad.

progrocker likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I liked three songs: the alternate version of the Lethal weapon song, Heavy Cloud and that boogie number that is way too short. Personally, I think field of Gold (melody wise) would have fit better on Soul Cages

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This

9. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

He's been hit or miss for the last 10 or so years, loved the reunion show. I heard that song with Nicole from the Pussycat Dolls in a restaurant and nearly choked on my breadstick, he must have lost a bet. The thing with P. Diddy on the Grammys sucked. I hope somebody hid or gave away that damn lute. That Dowland was pretty dire and dour. I'll give him this, he'll try to expand his repertoire and doesn't seem to mind if he comes off as a pompus ass in the process. Hopefully he'll wise up and get a rock band again.

Mark L. likes this.
  10. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I like Sting, but prefer The Police a little more. That said, I do enjoy The Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun immensely. Every album after that has numerous good songs, though I think by Mercury Falling it all dwindled out a little bit. His most recent stuff looks interesting and more earthy though I haven't listened to it that much. He really takes care of himself and I am thrilled he's still here. Hope to see him live one day. Superb bass player, hell of a singer too.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

His 2nd solo album (Nothing But The Sun) holds the distinction of being the 3rd cd I ever bought and the very first one I ever traded in for something else.

Man at C&A and troggy like this.
  12. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

He makes it easy to dislike him.

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

This basically describes my experience. I liked a few cuts from the 2 albums after (Mercury Falling and Brand New Day) but it's really all about those first 4 albums (solo-wise).

The Soul Cages is my favorite... it's a downer album but I love the songs.

And I'll never tire of The Police.

mikedifr0923 and danielbravo like this.
  14. JRColvin

JRColvin Forum Resident

A new one went up this afternoon with the caption "Tracking guitar"...

[​IMG]

15. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

So this was the best possible thread you could have bumped to give us this information!? :confused:

ARK likes this.
  16. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I saw him with Paul Simon last year and it was good. I thought they'd maybe done it as a gimmick to fill up the conert halls but they had a nice chemistry. They sounded good together. I have every Paul Simon album to date while my last Sting album so far is "Nothing Like the Sun". Not sure why but me and Sting seem to have parted ways in the 90s.

17. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I got completely off of the Sting train after Mercury Falling. Actually it was due to Mercury Falling itself. I really enjoyed the first 2 albums, particularly SUN; it has a depth to it that speaks to me somehow.

Fields Of Gold was an OK single, but it has been given eternal life on lite FM and other such stations. I think I want to pick up an automatic weapon EVERY TIME he sings "upon the fields of barley".

Dan

Max Florian likes this.
  18. JRColvin

JRColvin Forum Resident

It was the most recent one that wasn't a poll. Sorry to bother you today.

jpmosu likes this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

holy ******... this is funny.

20. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I know a fella or two he should call....

21. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Almost everything The Police recorded - fantastic - IMO. I got into them early on (just before Regatta De Blanc was released) and felt they were about the best thing I'd ever heard, which was for a long time. I still love a lot of their work and their first two albums mainly. The others are very close by.

I was disappointed when I heard Sting solo, in the early days. Played the first two albums but found them 'lacking.' Further plays couldn't convince. But he did come out with some nice songs here and there and I like Ten Summoner's Tales a lot, as I did on first hearing. That and the Fields Of Gold (albeit obviously having duplicates) is about all I really need, except I heard and liked If On A Winter's Night; it was around Christmas a few years ago which might have something to do with it. :D Oh, and I got a cassette of Brand New Day recently (for 20p!) Pleasant enough, if the contents hardly leapt out at me. Which is what I do miss from his post-Police offerings...

danielbravo likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've never liked him. Some of his rhymes are truly atrocious (the one about Oppenheimer's deadly toy and his little boy springs to my mind).

My mother (aged 73) thinks he's really hot....

wrappedinsky likes this.
  23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Dream Of The Blue Turtles
    Nothing Like The Sun
    (Bring On The Night - 'live album')
    The Soul Cages
    Ten Summoner's Tales

These are all excellent IMO.

After that it gets spotty on record. However he always remained a great "live" performer and he is to this day.
    His recent tour with Paul Simon was really terrific to witness when it hit Toronto in early 2014.

24. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

Yes....Things kinda went south after Ten Summoners Tales...

Burning Tires likes this.
  25. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

"Ten Summoner's Tales" was the last album I bought. Got off the train after that dreadful number with Rod Stewart and Bryan Adams...."All For One"...? Has had a bunch of "yes" men in his bands ever since IMO. Nobody to challenge him musically. It has shown through the years....

danielbravo and Keith V like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.