30 years Of Sting The Great & Really Bad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I love the police and saw them at their height, I can’t stand sting solo, MOR with no edge, I’ve seen a few police reformed gigs on YouTube and really dig em.

Sting needs the other 2 policeman for me to listen to him.

timind likes this.
  2. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

for me he peaked at "Mercury Falling" which to this day is my favourite album of his. Everything that came after I've zero time for.

3. She's pretty powerful as a live presence and yes, he pales next to her. He's had some really good tours and some where it feels like he is going by the numbers.

longdist01 and timind like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is the US track list. Japan and U.K. had different 17 track versions of this comp.

mikedifr0923 and Pete Puma like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

She blew him off the stage at our gig too. Her duets during his set were the highlights. Mind you, this was Sacred Love tour and that album gets little love on this forum and thread (even from fans of his earlier work!).

timind likes this.
  6. Is it a case where more is less? Or are the additional 3 songs pretty good?

7. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Mercury Falling was it for me

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Love the Police, not a fan of Sting the solo artist. But if I had a really nice double A-side 45 of "All This Time" and "Fortress Around Your Heart," I'd never sell it.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

30 Years Of Sting The Great & The Really Bad - is this a new box set?
    :agree:

danielbravo and Fullbug like this.
  10. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Steve Martin once introduced him as "Stingy"

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Hard to answer as I don't think any of the track lists completely got it right. I made a hybrid comp at one time with all my favorites. Notably missing from US version were "Mad About You" and "Love Is The Seventh Wave", for instance.

12. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

I saw the two of them at PNC years ago. The Sacred Love tour certainly wasn't one of his strongest. Not the best Sting tour by far. To be honest I wasn't blown away by either one of them. I saw The Police many times in the late 70s early 80s. No contest. Those were his best days.

longdist01 and timind like this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Late 70s-early 80s were better days for a lot of us.;)

14. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I love Mercury Falling to me is on par with his best solo albums. Im so happy that i cant stop crying....

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Actually, I'd give my left nut to go back and relive the summer of 84, the year I turned 30.

jtsjc1 likes this.
  16. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Has it been thirty years already?!! That went fast!!

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Outlandos d'Amour
    [​IMG]

Reggatta de Blanc
    [​IMG]

Zenyatta Mondatta
    [​IMG]

Ghost in the Machine
    [​IMG]

Synchronicity
    [​IMG]

5 reasons I like about Sting.

Carlox, Andrew, Moshe and 2 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I loved the police, consistently great albums.
    Solo -
    I really liked blue turtles, bring on the night and nothing like the sun.
    I liked some songs i heard after that but never bought the albums.
    A friend loved brand new day, i liked it, but never bought it.
    As for sting the person? idk ... not really into trying to figure out "personalities/celebrities", it's not my thing ... if he's happy that's cool, if he's a good guy, that's cool, if he isn't, well how does that effect me ... and where am i getting the information from. i'm not going to judge anyone based on what the media has to say, because they are a waste of oxygen.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Saw that tour twice, it was excellent and he did plenty of hits. It wasn’t a Police show, it was Sting. People had ridiculous expectations if they expected hits from a different band.....

snowman872 likes this.
  21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I like the first two albums plus the live album.
    Nothing after that.

danielbravo likes this.
  22. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Think I'm like everyone else here - love The Police, meh about his solo stuff. It says a lot about how dull it all is for me when I prefer this to the original:

23. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Nice to see Mercury Falling get some love here. That and Ten Summoner's Tales are my favorites and what I consider his creative peak. Brand New Day wasn't bad. That was probably the last time we saw Sting as a relevant artist. Still hate Sacred Love. The Last Ship wasn't bad either although I'm pretty sure the show was a flop.

I've never been a big Police fan. There are some good songs and I will add that the reunion tour was pretty amazing from what I remember. I just happen to prefer his more mature work.

A Sting tour with Andy Summers and Vinnie Colaiuta would be awesome: his best guitarist and best drummer.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  24. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

the police were the first current band i loved. i was 8 when Zenyatta Mondata came out. the next summer, visiting my father in Winnipeg, I found that record amongst his beach boys and elvis records. i'd never heard reggae, i was 9 and living in canada after all, so it was mind blowing to hear them incorporate elements of that into their music.

from that point until the end of the band i was obsessed with them. i remember my family used to make fun of this band i liked so much until Synchronicity came out and blew them up into the biggest act in the world. I loved Sting but also really focused on what Stewart and Andy brought, i listened to them more than him, really.

So when Sting went solo i was enthusiastic about that first record. i played it as much as any Police record. But, in the end, I really missed the sound of the trio. The drumming and guitar playing on the solo Sting was way less idiosyncratic than in the Police. I remember thinking you really noticed the sub par lyrics once the band became less interesting. Sting is not a great lyricist, he is an excellent singer and melodicist, writes great bass lines, but his lyrics are usually not that good. I bought the next solo record and was out after it. I fell in love with the Clash around then so Sting solo records weren't what i was looking for. I haven't really connected with Sting since.

Carlox, danielbravo and timind like this.
  25. Yep. That's about when I gave up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.