30 years Of Sting The Great & Really Bad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Like others I like his early albums very much, especially "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles". I can say that at least until "Ten Summoner's Tales" he really got my attention, then I started to lose interest in his music.
    I respect him as a musician but I think that he somehow lost his way since the mid 90's and so far it can be said that he does not have the same charm for the great majority of the audiences that followed him.
    Although he has tried different musical approaches in a certain way he has repeated himself album after album, which is sad because without a doubt he has a great talent.
    As a person I can't and I don't want to express any opinion but somehow he seems to make it easy for people to be tired of his music and image. He is not an easy character and seems to enjoy it.

Note:
    I really like The Police, but that's another story.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I don't think anyone pointed out Sting's vanity. It very likely is real and a lifelong constant, and it seems to negatively color people's impressions of his entire personality. The verdict on Sting evidently is, If the music is good, he's not so bad, but if it's less than that, not worth the time. I don't think Sting's music has actually deteriorated into "really bad" or even that's he's lost his musical adventurous like some older artists do, but I suppose I myself have the gut-reaction disdain of the Sting persona.

3. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

But what difference does it make? If you hate someone's music, so be it, but why hate their music because you don't like their public persona? We all know that how the tabloids describe a celebrity has nothing to do with who they really are, but even if it's accurate, who cares?

4. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Isn't that true with any artist?

5. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Great: The Police:Ghost In The Machine Solo: Ten Summoner's Tales, The Dream of the Blue Turtles
    Bad: The Last Ship, 44/876 (with Shaggy)

6. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

I'm not a personal friend of his so I don't let personality influence my taste in music. I've seen far more vain and less talented performers in my life. Apparently he's proud of his accomplishments and doesn't care what anyone thinks. I'm a big fan of The Jam and Weller always seemed to have an ego the size of Europe. He alone was responsible for the demise of that group. His music speaks for itself if he's a prick so be it. Sting fronted one of the most successful bands in the history of music enjoy that for what it is and don't get wrapped up in his persona etc. Some of his solo material is great some not so great. I've been a Police/Sting fan since at least '78 and I don't even have all his solo LPs. Some I just don't like. My alltime favorite singer who I hold above all the others is Sinatra. He's been criticized (true or untrue) for not being a nice guy, and other things. I never met the man nor do I care when I play his music. Its fn beautiful. These people probably couldn't care whether we like them or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.