$3000 USD Stereo 2021, Best Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Solrac575, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I put together an almost exactly $3k system this year. I also went with a Yamaha S801 integrated amp, a bluesound node 2i, and ascend acoustics sierra 2EX. I didn't spend much on cables - I'm not a "believer" - just get something well-built and solid. Almost exactly 3k and I could not be happier :)

Duke Fame likes this.
  2. lvwashere

lvwashere Active Member

First post and I too am a Schiit audio enthusiast... I enjoy my Lyr 3 with HD6XX on my desk, so when it was time to build a system for my den, I went with a Freya +, pair of Vidars, Bluesound node 2i, Modi Multibit, Rega P2 and Mani. Currently using Wharfedale 4.4 EVO speakers and thus far, I'm extremely happy with the sound... one day I'll think about upgrading to the Elysians, but for now, I'm satisfied.

timind likes this.
  3. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

If I would have had a $3K budget those Sierra 2EX's definitely would have been on my short list. Nice system!

4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I do not have your room or ears so it would be silly to recommend something. Any good HiFi dealer in these times should be happy to loan you some speakers to try for a couple of days.

But to give you an idea maybe try a pair of Wharfedale Linton Heritage's, no need for a sub but maybe a little on the large size for your room... If you have the budget Dynaudio Special Forty...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Solrac575 likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Not bookshelf speakers then, but floorstanders.

6. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

Good grief. I still have the original Croft Micro preamp from the 80s in the basic blue and white case. One of the greatest audio bargains ever built. Their stuff looks a lot more impressive these days.

RemyM likes this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Your a lucky man, enjoy shopping

I remember spending about $3k in 1980 for my Marantz component system & Speakers. Sounds like prices haven't changed much on Stereo's & TVs, since.

8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Used Klipsch Heresy iii and a small tube amp, maybe a Yaqin or Jolida. Then throw on some Dead and keep Truckin'!

portisphish and Solrac575 like this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

@Solrac575, check for used deals. So much more for your money.

Solrac575 likes this.
  10. Solrac575

Solrac575 Active Member Thread Starter

After all of the great advice and reading reviews and tech specs all day now I'm leaning towards:
    YAQIN MC-100B
    Sierra-2EX
    Used Schiit Bofrost

This would put it just a little over budget but thats ok, I planned on some wiggle room. Not quite ready to commit yet so I'm happy to hear thoughts and opinions on this pairing.

Tim S likes this.
  11. Solrac575

Thanks I'll do some digging. The one thing I think I would prefer to buy new would be speakers. I just feel like they are the most susceptible to abuse. If there was some older person selling a pair of speakers to thin their collection though I'd probably be ok with it.

12. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I second Timind's advice, you will get a great system on the used market, much better then those listed above, actually WAY better!

13. Solrac575

Do you know any good online marketplaces for hifi audio gear? My instincts would tell me to look on ebay, craigslist, facebook market place, but if there was a more specialized online marketplace for this sort of thing than I am defiantly stoked to check it out as well.

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Audiogon and USAudiomart, there's a whole world out there. Always check sellers feedback.

PB Point likes this.
  15. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Forum Resident

That was the conventional wisdom and probably used to be true. But the thing with newer speakers is that they scale very well with good electronics. You need to allocation at least half the budget on DAC/AMP generally speaking to get a balanced system - meaning no component is clearly bottle-necking the overall performance. That is from experience of my own and those who experimented extensively.

I have home auditioned the LS50 meta and was pretty impressed, though eventually went with the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2-EX for its sound signature and overall performance. If LS50 Meta has the type of sound you like then it's a very good choice. My audition system was Denafrips Ares II and Akitika GT-102 amp and they really made the KEF shine. The DAC+amp combo only costs $1300 but keep in mind those are DIY and factory-direct prices, so they'd cost $2000 or more if through traditional retail channel. If you like Schiit then Aegir is a well-received amp.

One thing to keep in mind is dont underestimate the importance of DAC. If you go with the Modi in your OP, I can guarantee it will SEVERELY bottleneck your system. Some people think DACs dont make a difference, but it's something you can easily find out yourself. If I have to find the bottle in my audition setup Meta/Denafrips Ares II/Akitika, it would probably be the Denafrips.

Whatever you do, enjoy the journey and have fun. For me the process of searching for the next best setup is more fun than owning it : )

Solrac575 and timind like this.
  16. Solrac575

adding a DAC to my simple setup years ago was what got me into this hobby so I definitely agree with you here. When I was looking for a balanced DAC for my IEMs I tried quite a few and they were all very different in subtle but noticeable ways. I was actually thinking of adding the Sabaj d5 to the system but I wanted to get my speaker choice figured out than the amp. I'm still doing a lot of research and going to try and audition a few pairs, but currently I'm leaning towards the Sierra 2-EXs. My plan for this system isn't to upgrade it non stop but to have something that works well together that will satisfy me for a while. If I ever move out of the city and have more room I just figure I'll relegate it to the bedroom and start this process over again to find a new fun setup for the common area.

timind likes this.
  17. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

To give you an idea what can be had on the used market I picked up the following, both as new condition and boxed.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ new price: $2195 I paid $1050 for a one year old unit.
    Naim ND5 XS2 Media Player new price $3490 I paid $1200 for a one year old unit.

With covid very good quality hifi is being dumped in the used market for very good prices.

18. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Or follow the old Linn principle of "Source First" ie Garbage in, Garbage out...

I do not agree with that however, being in the hobby for a long time, getting the correct speaker for the room has always given the best results.

19. Solrac575

The only problem is that I don't know nearly enough about all the options out there to recognize a good deal when I see one, but there isn't much that can be done for that besides research on my side. On my audio journey I've always been more prone to reading technical content to understand what's going on under the hood but now I wish I had payed more attention to the equipment they used in said articles.

20. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

You need a place to start, your audio dealer is the best place to go and hear a few options. Whatever you do not buy based on youtube videos or sites like ASR, and be warry of over hyped products on sites like Head-Fi. be guided by your ears not the internet!

The other good thing about the used market, is you can generally sell on whatever you buy with no loss.

21. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

If you are in NY,NY there is a massive market for used gear. Definitely the best way to go for everything including speakers.

22. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Where did you find the ND5 XS2 for 1k?

I really want one and its a phenominal price.

23. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Local sale in Europe.

brubacca likes this.
  24. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Great idea I think. Reminds me of a system of a tape trader in Eugene, Oregon where I would visit and trade dead tapes back in the late 90's. That system was amazing. I don't think it was the Heresy model, but a bigger model, but that might be the best I've heard live dead sound outside of a concert venue.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  25. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Forum Resident

Starting from the speakers when building a new system is always the right approach. Never questoined that. My point was not to downplay the importance of DAC/amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.