3000+ used cds to sell - looking for some advice on a particular problem

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by eddiel, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

It isn't his company.

2. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

anything you do in the course of work for a company can come back on the company. The company usually has the deeper pockets so they are easier to go after, whether it is logical or not.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

Here you go:

Photo by edlomb

starfieldroad likes this.
  4. eddiel

I finally managed to get them out of storage and into my office.

Turns out about 700 of the cds were some stock music library discs stock music companies had sent us over the years. They aren't viable as sellable cds so they're destined for the bin (but I am offering them up for their cases on here - free. Add places in classifieds for anyone interested).

We have about 2200 after the removal of the above cds so not bad.

I did a test with some extra strength goo gone we had in our office and the stickers are removable without affecting the spines, which is good news for anyone who buys them. I expect lighter fluid will work as well.

I got a few things that I need to sort out this week so this will go on the back burner for a couple of days and then I'll get back on it. I'm hoping I can get them sold rather quickly as well.

starfieldroad likes this.
  5. eddiel

So I listed them today at 2:40 on a local selling site, Kajiji.ca. 10 minutes later I had a message and 60 minutes later I was loading them up into his car!

I got three message right after the first one as well.

Basically went to someone who does this as a hobby/part time job. He said he has clients who he basically calls whenever he buys a collection. I was quite surprised at how fast it all went.

tmtomh and starfieldroad like this.
  6. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Stock music library discs have their own little cadre of fans; you might be able to get some interest in these as well. I would imagine they're not the "cool" ones from the go-go-60's, but don't sell them for a song - do some research!

tmtomh likes this.
  8. eddiel

Definitely not anything "cool". Mostly stuff organised in moods, or style and dating from the last 10 years or so. We didn't sell them for a song though, but then again we didn't sell them at all. They all went into the rubbish bin. I did list them on here for free in case someone wanted the cd cases but there was no interest.

We shouldn't really be selling those library music cds anyway. We still deal with the company (it was mostly from one company) on a business level and although they probably wouldn't want those back, they probably wouldn't be happy with us selling them to the public either. Mind you they probably would never have found out about it anyway. In any case, the money we would've made would not have compensated the company for my time and I didn't have the personal time available to deal with selling those off.

I had spent about as much time on all this cd stuff as I wanted too.

I was lucky I listed on a Friday that we had closed earlier otherwise I might have been meeting potential buyers on the weekend. I was glad to not have lost any weekend time to this.

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.