300B Amps - Are they really the best?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Sep 3, 2022.

1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Are the front baffles angled compared to the sides? Or does it just look like it?
    I was thinking those speakers are expensive...until I started thinking what it would cost me to DIY something like that. With rectangular more plain cabinets, maybe less. With that level of cabinetry, it would probably cost as much or more.

zeitlos likes this.
  2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Unison Research Max 2 Horn Speakers

jonwoody, zeitlos and Richard Austen like this.
  3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Those Unison Research speakers look interesting. They appear to be an update of two-way horn systems like some Altec designs. I like many speakers that employ woofers with pleated fabric or paper surrounds like these woofers. Does anyone know what is behind the horn-is it a compression driver?

jonwoody, zeitlos and Richard Austen like this.
  4. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

Untill now, exactly untill yesterday, I wanted to try out amp with 300B or 2A3 tubes, collecting infos in the Wide Web Net for long,

but hearing my "modest" two tube amps * I have with what goes well with them, I don't want 300B/2A3 anymore for "trying out".
    This would destroy (maybe ?) the balanced gear I was after for quite long time.

Then for days, weeks or months to come, I will enjoy my "balanced systems" with pleasure, so good for a while.

* all local made, one with EL34 and one with EL84

note (for myself :cool: ) :
    some weeks ago, when I got hooked by my pair of P3, going to order the C7, talking with my hifi dealer, he toll me some customers changed their minds
    having the 300B amps and bigger speakers (sake of efficiency) sold for small SS or tube amp to drive Harbeth smaller speakers.

second hand in this shop (maybe nothing related to former customers),
    300B preamp + 300B amp SE/PP Manley for a mere €9,000
    [​IMG]
    +
    Manley Neo-Classic SE/PP 300B — Manley Laboratories, Inc.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Thanks for the info.. I gotta try horn low frequency in the future. My question is... If I use a horn style bass, would it affect or minimize the output of the 100hz and below frequency of the speakers?
    But yes when I added a horned tweeter speaker in my 300b setup, I'm experiencing a newer more pleasant 300b 3D sound world. I just love the sound of it especially if positioned correctly in a bit of distance. Distance or not, youll hear the big difference right away just from the speaker itself. WoW!
    .... I also heard a 2A3 in the pacific audio fest. That amp has a very clear natural sound. It sounds like a whole different ballgame between the 300b.

Ampexed likes this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

I heard there are amps today that you can switch 2a3 and 300b via switch on the same amp. Regardless they have the same tube wirings with the lower voltage in the 2A3.

7. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Different horn low frequency cabinets will have different low frequency cutoffs, but generally horns will have less bass extension than a direct radiator on a equal cabinet size basis. That's the price of efficiency. The Klipsch La Scala for instance goes down to 50Hz. So you will need to use a subwoofer or two to fill out the rest of the low end.

The 2A3 is even more sweet and liquid than the 300B which is why I use it for the high frequency part of my system. The high frequency horn has 107dB/w sensitivity, so the 2.5 watts from the amp is more than enough to slam the room.

8. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

The filament on the 2A3 is 2.5 volts, while the 300B is 5 volts.

9. Classic Car Guy

Okay that's great to know. So using a horn lower frequency requires subs....
    sweet.

10. Classic Car Guy

I thought its a speaker box...:goodie:

11. P3ESRXD

12. Classic Car Guy

If you can get a 300b amp with 4-8 ohms speaker output, that would be a plus unless youre settling for an 8 or 6 ohms speaker. On the klipsch, I enjoy running it in 4 ohms tap. But on the jbl and Rauna the 8 ohms sounds more appealing.

13. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love Thread Starter

Having read your valuable input so far (thank you very much again), I decided to give 300B a try and bought a second hand FEZZ Mira Ceti for 1600,- Euro. So really cheap for 300B. But it seems bo e a (very?) good product, given the praise it got both from official reviewers and owners in forums.

I think I can’t really go wrong with this one to get a first taste. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    rischa, jusbe, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  14. zeitlos

I think you can see the answer here in this review. There’s a picture: Unison Research MAX-2

15. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

looks good!
    Let us know how it goes. The toroids are interesting.

jonwoody likes this.
  16. zeitlos

17. zeitlos

18. Classic Car Guy

Congratulations with the new amp. Should be a great new world for you. Do you have a matching high sensitivity input speaker?
    I remember when I hooked up my first 300b. I was listening to the Mr. X - Ultravox. At the end of the song he was whispering the lyrics and I thought it was something else. Besides it was dark and 1:30 am. I jumped out of my seat like a scared rabbit.... The 3D holographic sound got me really good and I though it was real. :doh:
    Welcome to the 300b world.............:shtiphat:

theflattire and zeitlos like this.
  19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

They are fine with the right speakers. A lot of people get way too ocd in the audiophile bubble and I was one of them. It's kind of funny to read all the buzzword descriptions people have used over the years like lush, bloom, air, sparkle, romantic, etc. No longer use tubes and my hearing's deteriorated quite a bit compared to when I was a big tube fan in my 20s, but my favorites may have been EL-34 which had a pretty good ratio of power and enjoyable sound signature. I didn't like having to listen to specific styles of music such as chamber or go with particular speakers like horns that worked well with lower watt SET amps. 300B will at least give a little more headroom compared to say 2A3. Speaking of, some of the tubes have really gone up in price compared to when I was in the market for them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Bananas&blow and zeitlos like this.
  20. zeitlos

Thank you! I’m really excited :) My speakers should do I think/hope: 300B Amps - Are they really the best?

Still I think that my Simply Italy is hard to beat even though it’s ECC82 + EL34, but we will see :)

jonwoody likes this.
  21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Car Guy there's like 5 pics of his speakers and 20 posts about them try and keep up my friend. ;) And @zeitlos congrats on your amp looks interesting with toroid opts I hope it sounds amazing with your Max 2's!

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

Ooops right on. :-plnktn-:

jonwoody likes this.
  23. P3ESRXD

24. zeitlos

Yes, only three months old :) I will keep you informed. Just picked it up.

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have not heard amps with the 300b tube. I do have a very simple 2A3 single-ended amplifier which was built by Handmade. I prefer using it with my Omega Super 3 single-driver speakers. In fact, I am listening to it now playing some opera recorded in 1950 at the Bolshoi. It sounds fresh, immediate and clear with great tonal qualities. It works with the Lascalas as well but I think( contrary to general opinion) those speakers sound better with more power even though they will work with 2.5 watts per channel. BTW-I am using Sovtek 2A3 tubes right now but I have some vintage RCA black plates in my stash.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022