30th Anniversary of BACK TO THE FUTURE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The trilogy is also getting a theatrical re-release in October.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Finally, my book came in the mail! I am anxious to read it but trying to save it for a dull or rainy weekend day. Maybe if we go to the beach this weekend it will give me a chance to read while the kids play. The strange thing is that I bought it from eBay and it shipped from Amazon. So I wonder if someone if selling books they dont have then ordering them for you from Amazon. It said it was a "gift" to myself hahaha. And it took about 14 days to ship. Either way, I am glad to have my hands on it and plan on reading it as soon as time allows. I am just afraid I won't be able to put it down when I have other things I need to tend to. (The name of the book is "We Don't Need Roads" mentioned earlier in this thread).

3. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I got myself a copy of We Don't Need Roads as well.. Another Hoffman forum purchase, curses!

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Just picked up the book at B&N. Thanks!

5. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

The first has been my favourite film since I saw it back in 1985. I love the trilogy overall, but the first certainly ranks above the sequels. Makes me want to dig out my old BTTF tshirt, which no doubt won't fit. :)

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Gotta dig this out...

[​IMG]

Apparently there were 4 issues (but I've only seen the one)
    IIRC, it was the same company that put out the long-running Star Trek Fan Club Magazine.

Darryl

7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Just finished We Don't Need Roads, good little book, gives brief but nice background on all three movies and particpants. A breezy easy read. They also talk about the 4 published fan magazines (one pictured above this post) and who was behind it all.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

A perfect film, as far as I'm concerned. I just got to share it with my nieces (8&10) for the first time. They loved it as much as did when I first saw it, just a few years old than than them at the time.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The sequels are easier to criticize, but I love the characters and overall storyline so much that I'm totally happy to ignore their flaws.

Billy Infinity and Vidiot like this.
  10. MikeInFla

Over halfway thru the book now and it is hard to put down. A quite enjoyable read. When Part II was released I could tell that "upside down George" was NOT Crispin. I knew it was someone else instantly. However, in the 1955 scenes I just assumed they used original footage. A while later I learned it was Jeffery Weissman. Here is a photo of the two as George:

[​IMG]

I just read the section where Jeffery was excited to be in the movie but felt shunned by everyone else because they called him "Crispin". Even Lea introduced him to her mother as "the actor who plays Crispin". It isn't his fault he got the role, I think I too would be excited if I was an actor to be involved in this film series. I get the impression he had no idea (at first) that he was going to be actually cast as George McFly. And I feel bad that he was in some form "blacklisted" and labeled as a scab for taking the role. First of all, there was no strike so he didn't cross a picket line. He was just an actor excited to be in a historic film. I kind of feel bad for both him and Crispin. So did Crispin really ask for a million? While I think the sequels are excellent I think they would have been even better if Crispin came back to the series.

Vidiot and Mr. H like this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Crispin Glover is killer as George McFly.

12. MikeInFla

Interesting interview with Crispin:

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

He is, but at some point if the real-life actor is so nutty and difficult, and won't take direction from the people writing & directing the movie, it just isn't gonna work out. At some point, they just have to shut up and do what they're told, or get replaced by somebody who will. There is a reasonable back-and-forth where the actor is justified on asking questions about his or her character, about motivations and attitudes and plot issues, but eventually there's a line that's crossed where all they're doing is delaying the production and causing trouble.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I guess some just don't realize how lucky they are...

15. Vidiot

I do agree that the movies and Crispin's career would've been better if they could have had a compromise and found a way to allow him to be in the films.

Mr. H likes this.
  16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I wasn't aware that Crispin Glover wasn't in the sequel until fairly recently. They managed to sneak that one past me.

17. Michael

The Business of show business...it's all about money which makes people blind to reason.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Too often, actors and other hired people don't understand it isn't their movie. It's much more the writers', director's, and producers' movie. And in truth, the studio owns it.

driverdrummer and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Michael

yes, exactly...what a job! fame and fortune...well for some anyway.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's October 2015, and the Cubs are in the playoffs. This is, of course, very relevant to Back to the Future, particularly Part II. So, we didn't get flying cars, but the Cubs are in the playoffs.

mmars982 and Mister Charlie like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2015, yes!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  22. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

It's funny, I was watching BTTF2 the other day, and the phone bit I noticed was in the home - they kind of got it a bit right with sunglasses that gave them call notifications (a la smart watches), but it was for calls on their home phone, not their mobile phones :laugh:

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I still don't see sneakers in the stores that are able to tighten themselves after putting them on.

No self-drying clothes either, when you get them wet, while still wearing them.

;)

24. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Any Hoffmanites going to any of the "We're Going Back" 30th anniversary events? I'll be in Burbank for all the fun. If I'm not mistaken, the screening of "Back to the Future" that takes place on Sunday, Oct. 25 at the Puente Hills Mall will be open to the public. Last time they did this, it was set up outdoors in the parking lot exactly where the mall scenes were done in 1985.
    There's a "flash mob" planned at the parking lot this Sunday, where a replica of the Doc Brown truck that carted the DeLorean has been on display for a few weeks (also at the location where the scenes were filmed back in 1985).

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But at least Blowdryer in a Briefcase has been around for years!

Dudley Morris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.