4 Men With Beards pressing quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by draden1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

New label = 2 Women With Hairy Backs :)

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, looks like I'll be opting for the Music On Vinyl versions of Dark Magus and Agharta should it come to that. The MoV Miles Smiles and In A Silent Way LPs I've got are pretty good.

Beamish13 likes this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I would bet that that's more or less exactly what happens. This is all a complete fabrication on my part, but I don't think it stretches credulity to imagine a scenario like this:

4MWB: We want to license <some album> to release on vinyl
    Record company: We don't have a high-res master of that album.
    4MWB: Doesn't matter, we'll rip it from a CD. Here's a check.
    Record Company: You are my friend.

4. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Fyp

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I just read this conversation while imagining Michael Cohen as the 4MWB voice, and HAL as the record company voice.

e.s., Cassius, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

One Man With Hairy A$$ Records, LLC.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. Regarding their 2007 Wire reissues:

According to Mr. Blackham, EMI didn't trust him or other outside mastering engineers with original tapes when these were mastered a few years ago (they've since changed their corporate minds), so Mr. Blackham was sent 24 bit DAT copies of the master tapes. He sent back "redbook" resolution data files on DVD, so basically, George Horn cut from CD quality files at best, or from a CD at worst.

Read more at 1979 Art/Punk Classic Reissued By 4 Men With Beards! (mastering info updated)

8. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

In their defense, Fire Records did a very nice 2 LP + 2 CD Moles compilation back in 2014 called "Flashbacks and Dream Sequences" that sounds very good and has excellent packaging and artwork. Some of the tracks on the bonus CD were mastered from vinyl but that is due to their complete scarcity and didn't really bother me. They also did the Cardinal reissue which I don't own but it gets good reviews.

9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I have a few 4mwb releases of some Funkadelic records. Decent packaging, and okay enough pressings, but yeah, lackluster mastering from digital sources makes them kind of a bummer.

10. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Every time I see those Funkadelic represses it makes me wish someone else had the license.

11. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

I have a copy of The Lemonheads “It’s a shame about Ray” released by Plain, thought it sounded better than the CD and the vinyl was quiet enough. Overall happy with the purchase. Tend to stay away from 4MWB due to all the bad press here, maybe someone should start a list of all their good pressings for everyone.

12. Popworld

Popworld Active Member

I doubt that reissue labels are licensing certain types or resolution of audio sources. Unless a label was doing a straight analogue reissue wouldn't they just ask the label for a high resolution source since it's all digital anyway? Like with movie reissues, my guess is it really depends on what's available is what they get.

13. Popworld

Popworld Active Member

There must be two Hi Horse Records labels. These are not cutout titles.

Hi Horse Records

14. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

I realize I'm in the minority, but I have a copy of The Gilded Palace of Sin (Flying Burrito Brothers) on the 4 Men label, and it sounds great compared to the cd.

15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Just popped the seal on the 4 Men reissue of Jorge Ben's Fôrça Bruta and I think it sounds fine, no sibilance and smooth higher end.

16. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

Finally opened Miles Davis' Agharta today, I'd left it sealed for about 4 years. Time had come, it was all set.

A 4MWB pressing, got it at Amoeba LA.

The packaging is definitely great but I'm real bummed now, and it's not exactly because of bad pressing/surface noise.

Unfortunately, I got TWO "RECORD 1" discs instead of the obvious Records 1 and 2! Just when I was about to change discs, that's what I notice. I mean, what the heck.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but did anybody here have a similar issue?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Buddy, go buy the recent Intervention pressing. Your mind will be blown and your ears will thank you.

You’re welcome

18. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Active Member

I just Googled this label as I recently purchased a number of Wilson Picket LPs. Most of them, with the exception of one, were reissues by Music on Vinyl. All of the sounded good. Good dynamic range, good vinyl, as one would expect from that reputable label. As I was looking through Amazon and Discogs at the various offerings of Picket's LPs, I noticed that Hey Jude is currently available only by Four Men With Beards. I'm not are what's up with the label name, but that is not really my concern. I read through a number of comments here which clearly called into question the legitimacy of this label in terms of audio quality. This LP is the only one of theirs that I have, so I can't compare it to any others. I looked on the back of the jacket and it states that they are under license from Atlantic to produce this record, and the LP was manufactured by Rhino, and pressed in the USA, so I'm not sure where all of the negative commentary is coming from. As far as the dynamic range, it sounds as good as any of the others that I have, either original pressings or by Music on Vinyl. They're a US based company, so unlike Wax Time or any of the EU aftermarket companies, they would not get away with violating copy write law and simply start pressing their LPs from CDs, as many of you have suggested. So, what's with the bashing of this label? They cannot be operating under the radar. They are licensed to reproduce titles owned by the original manufacturer, so they have access to original source tapes. What's with the bashing?

19. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I like almost everything about 4MWB, the jacket quality, the flat and quiet pressings.

Except they are known, and they themselves admit, to sometimes use CDs as their vinyl source.

I have a 4MWB Big Star Radio City. I thought it was ok. Then I picked up an Ardent re-press, and realized it wasn't ok. It was a rip-off. Product for the masses who have substandard setups.

hfarrior3 and DrZhivago like this.
  20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I have few of their pressings that I bought a way back, when I didn't know or cared who they were. While there's nothing wrong with those records (pressings) themselves. The S.Q on them is an utter rubbish.

Just to name the few: Iggy Pop "Lust for Life" and Funkadelic "Maggot Brain" :thumbsdow

Regards

patient_ot likes this.
  21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I believe the overall consensus is that they are bad, not illegal. As with all things audio, we do not know bad until we hear good.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    hfarrior3, Lemon Curry and patient_ot like this.
  22. No, but I did have that happen with Prince's "Lotusflow3r/MPLS Sound set." There was no MPLS Sound.

23. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

I have the 4 Beards 180 gram lp , and the AM re-mastered cd, with Burrito Delux. Sure, the 4 Men sounds thin, but the AM is brickwalled, a bit. It depends on the tune.

24. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Like the man said check out those Intervention records reissues. They sound fantastic.

peymei4ever likes this.
  25. Philbo

Philbo Punk in the Beerlight

A few years ago I bought the 4MWB issue of John Cale Paris, 1919.
    I had no prior knowledge of the label but can say it was the worst sounding lp I've ever owned. Barely audible. It was swiftly returned!

uzn007 likes this.