40 years ago ..... ABBA's 1979 concert tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoodKitty, Sep 11, 2019.

1. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I had this t-shirt:
    [​IMG]
    Those were my record store days when I was working at the Santa Ana Music Plus and living in Long Beach.

ABBAFANUSA and GoodKitty like this.
  2. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

Chacha How bizarre that only Björn & Frida originally signed this copy. ABBA signed many copies of this album with Frida's dedication of "All Our Love" in 1977/78 I have one, as do many fellow collectors. Copies make the auction rounds every so often too. Clearly Agnetha & Benny signed this years later. It's always nice to have a fully signed "Anni-Frid" as she now only signs "Frida"

[​IMG]

3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd Thread Starter

Thanks. I've removed it.
    I was kinda wondering about the change in style design.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  4. ABBAFANUSA

Nice! There was also this one
    [​IMG]

squittolo, Juggsnelson and Mbe like this.
  5. ABBAFANUSA

There were 3 variants I believe. I'm pretty sure two were worn per show and I think it was after their solo numbers were performed that they changed into the second color. They also had the additional 'skirt' that was added on to the second pair.

aarsonbet likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thanks for the inside scoop. I assume that mine is authentic? Hope so!

7. ABBAFANUSA

Oh! Definitely!! I pride myself as an ABBA signature expert. I've studied them for years. As with anyone there are slight changes through the decades, but pressure points, angels, slants, style and flair never change.

Mbe and chacha like this.
  8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I just bought their Gold and More ABBA Gold, now I am a fan. It's really great experience finding out the talent these folks have.

9. GoodKitty

That's exactly how I got started ......
    At first I thought Gold would suffice ..... till one day when I realized it didn't have "I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do" ...... so then I got More Gold ..... then really went down the rabbit hole .... :laugh:

Jarleboy, ABBAFANUSA and MikeManaic61 like this.
  10. ABBAFANUSA

Another gem I have is a crew tour jacket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pic of Agnetha wearing her monogramed one
    [​IMG]

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow. I went to Mater Dei high school and walked by that Music Plus store every day after school (1975-1979). I worked at the Wendys down the street on Bristol and used all my money to buy records weekly at Music Plus! What a small world. Must have bought all my original ABBA albums there.

B. Bu Po likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A lot of photos of her not wearing makeup out there. Nice she felt so comfortable just being her. I wonder what that beautiful jacket is worth? No doubt priceless to you...congrats.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Has to be one of my favorite all time album covers. Just beautiful.

chacha likes this.
  14. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Well, then you likely purchased a record from me. I was there from '77 to end of '79. Amazing! Perhaps I was wearing the above shirt and we had a discussion about ABBA. Hello! I think I hit up that Wendy's a time or two.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I distinctly remember buying the Bee Gees Spirits Having Flown album (I loved that they had those brown wood stands to show the entire album covers), Grease, ABBA Arrival and ELO Out Of The Blue. Don’t know why those stick out. And those mirrored album art pictures. And a great singles dept...I bought hundreds of them. I have a couple albums to this day with green $5.99 sale price Music Plus labels including an England Dan/Coley Greatest Hits album that was new at the time! I was sad to see the chain go under.

Jarleboy, GoodKitty and B. Bu Po like this.
  16. GoodKitty

Tempe AZ 9-23-79
    ASU Activity Center
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still based out of their L.A. hotel and with kids still visiting, ABBA takes their jet to Phoenix and will return the same night ....
    This was their third show in three nights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This reviewer was "cool" on the show....
    [​IMG]

So they only did three shows in California ..... and I seriously wonder if those three added up to the size of the crowds in Edmonton or Vancouver. Canada was more like Europe in their response .....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Jarleboy, squittolo, chacha and 2 others like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Back in the late seventies when I was a concert sound engineer in Kansas City, I used to do the city sponsored concerts in the parks. The biggest ones were in Brush Creek, a stream that had been reinforced with concrete, sort of like the LA River.

And in various ones of these shows I used to see a guy with a homemade t-shirt that said:

"ABBA is the most popular group in the world. Ask me why."

18. I saw the October 6 1979 Montreal concert, it was amazing, and I still have vivid memories of the show.

Jarleboy, Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.
  19. GoodKitty

Welcome to the forum, Michael !
    maybe you'll share some of those memories when the anniversary comes around soon ....

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  20. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

And Mr @FloydMaui is inviting us all down the rabbit hole! Thank you! :)

They have been growing on me for a few years now as well. Kind of liked them in my pre-teen "Top 40" years but when I got to High School it was all about the 60's & early 70's big time. Got introduced to Led Zep music, Jimi, Cream, Doors, Floyd, Stones, Neil Young, etc etc. I left the top 40 behind...

Now I am kind of coming full circle and appreciating stuff that I more or less ignored back in the day.

Part of the reason? This Forum!

21. GoodKitty

Las Vegas 9-24-79
    Aladdin Theatre For The Performing Arts

leaving California behind, the whole entourage moves to Las Vegas for the fourth show in four nights .....
    one person calls it a "tough crowd" .....there is entertainment competition everywhere .... and the desert heat outside is considerable ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

daughter Linda joins the group of kids for "I Have A Dream" ......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  22. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Wow! She looks like a little version of Bjorn! That's cute.

vivresavie, chacha and GoodKitty like this.
  23. GoodKitty

so, I don't have it ..... but here's a "boot" that exists .....
    does it actually have anything from Las Vegas ??
    anyone here ever seen this one ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exactly!

25. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I was also at this show - brings back memories. I wasn’t particularly into their music at the time, but enjoyed it none the less.

chacha, Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.