$400-600 per LP? The Electric Recording Co. releases, already out and upcoming...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Apr 28, 2020.

1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Some people will buy dog **** in a bag if marketed well.

2. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

If ERC reissued the Rolling Stones ˋ60ˋs catalogue, at ERCs prices, Iˋd still jump for the lot of them.
    Iˋd want Sticky Fingers and Exile included too.

3. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I'm going to start a "go-fund-me" account to purchase these.

4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Doesn't seem like a sustainable business model, but only time will tell I suppose.

5. faskenite

faskenite Forum Resident

I think highly of Michael but he gets them for free. Given the quality of some reissues out there for less than three figures I’m not thinking seriously about the ERC’s anytime soon. No disrespect to them, but I am just not in.

ted321 and Tommyboy like this.
  6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Anyone stoopid enough to spend this kind of money on music DURING A GLOBAL PANDEMIC deserves to part with his money. And I say "his" because audiophiles tend to be male.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If Fremer is getting them for free, he shouldn’t be. Not at limited pressing run of 300. He should shell out the money like everyone else.

8. I see you've accessed my equipment profile, which is in need of updating, although not in any exceptional way.

Way to pull rank, but I've heard a lot of gear. And I've owned VPI and Thorens 165 and 125 tables, Grace and Premier arms, Grace, Shure, half-dozen other brand of cartridges, half a dozen tube preamps (my favorite being the Fisher 400CX, since sadly "discovered" by the wider market), half a dozen different power amps, lots of different speakers, AR/JansZen, LC1A,, custom sub/satellite system, etc. I'm aware that I've downgraded the audiophile quality of my system, but given my present listening room limitations, there's only so much to be done.

And few buyers of a Sugar Cube 192k/24 bit processor are using it with a 1980s Pioneer amp (got rid of that thing, it had little to commend it) or a $500 analog setup (although my Kyocera punches way above its weight, and doesn't program me to pay constant attention to it- it even has controls outside of the dust cover. A cover which I use, to keep dust off of my records, even with its liability of producing Vibrational Mojo Reflections that upset ultimate resolution.)

I'm familiar with the point of diminishing returns. I think $400 for one newly pressed record is well into the point of diminishing returns. Whereas $1500 to clean up semi-trashed vinyl with a 192k/24 bit digital processor sounds like a lot of bang for the buck- even if it were to veil music down to the level of a mere 44.1/16k mid-grade CD player, which I doubt that it does. Because yes, busted, I really haven't listened to one, or purchased one. But I haven't heard any terribly scathing amount of criticism from anyone who has. So I'm assured that it's in an entirely different league from a Burwen 7000.

Martha's Vineyard real estate is singular purchase, with singular attributes. Vinyl records are mass production merchandise, an artifact subject to technological limitations and quality constraints, and hence diminishing returns. Which are an actual thing that isn't to be outrun by spending the most money evar.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s too bad.

The OP gets off on pulling rank. It’s been pointed out to him numerous times in the past that making derogatory comments about other people’s systems that do not meet his snobbish standards is inappropriate. It’s insulting and thoughtless.

He doesn’t get it and never will. Nothing but an ego trip.

10. yeah, well. Busted, I guess.

I do think that equipment profiles can serve a worthwhile purpose for the members of this Forum. They provide some possible indications, like, about one's audiophile "journey." A jumping off point for discussions, or maybe helpful suggestions. (No one should stuff Harbeths or Quads into a 10' x 16' room, etc.) But no one should take them as probative evidence of superior perceptual acuity or discernment. And no one should assume too much from a person's profile. Which they could be faking, after all.

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm sure these sound good, but I don't think I'll be purchasing.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

An endorsement can be just as valuable, if not moreso.

Lucca90 and Tommyboy like this.
  13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Quick Math:
    You could snag 15 different CDs at that price...
    ;)

Phil Thien and Bingo Bongo like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Very true

Thievius likes this.
  15. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

:laughup:

starduster and Panama Hotel like this.
  16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The fact that these are extremely limited runs intended only for the collectors market is probably a strict stipulation in the contracts. The labels don’t want anything that directly competes with their own product. Clearly most of us don’t have shelves full of records like these, nor are most labels producing anything like it.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You guys have short memories. Remember the MFSL and DCC Compact Classics LP's? Licensed from the owners, used the master, made well, $30 each.

What is up with you dudes?

18. I'm putting together a Telecaster, Mr. Potato Head style. So I was considering wiring up the pickups and controls with silver.

Then I said, nahh...

19. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

A snob is born every day. Some smart dudes learned how to clean out the snob's pockets. The snob pays a lot of money just to join the club of "the only 300 owners". I think the music doesn't matter for them. Their collection is like the medals on the chest of the operetta generals.

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

With all due respect Steve, MFSL and DCC didn’t approach their licensed reissues the same way as the Electric Recording Co., and didn’t share a lot of the same production costs. The scope of their product doesn’t start and end with just the record, there are incredible costs associated with the way they reproduce the packaging as well. Even the “deluxe” packaging seen on MoFi Ultradiscs and Analogue Productions UHQRs don't approach the level of complexity or the costs associated with an artisanal product like this.

Don’t get me wrong, I will probably never own any of their records. But I can still appreciate the craftsmanship despite being priced out of their market. This is no different to me than a McIntosh amp, Leica, or a nice Rolex. There’s always going to be a market for a higher end option, and likewise there will always be those who choose to yell at clouds simply because somebody successfully put something nice into this world. Sour grapes.

We live in a world where Taco Bell can coexist with a 5 star Mexican restaurant. Neither is going to put the other out of business. Both are valid options. Sure, for the price of a $40 fajita platter I can probably engorge myself on an entire bucketfull of Fiery Doritos Locos Tacos and still have enough to last me for the next week, but that’s not the point. There will always be those who demand quality over quantity.

It should be noted that ERC’s reissues often still cost less than clean originals on the used market. So, you really can’t even complain that there isn’t a more affordable alternative when they are the more affordable alternative. Other labels have done plenty of cheap reissues of the same titles as well. Sure, not to the same standard, but as with anything you get what you pay for.

I simply can’t agree with the pessimistic attitude some have towards this type of product. If anyone can do what they do, for significantly less money - I welcome it. Consider me your first customer, let’s start seeing those reissues.

21. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

True, but how more analytical would one be if they spent as much as these guys are charging for their LP's? I've taken plunges on L.P. Pressings and audio equipment spending high dollars with my expectations being high in comparison to how much I spent.

22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

The MFSL pressings of the late 70’s/early 80’s were great and quiet. Loved that JVC vinyl. How I miss them. QRP? The opposite. My White Album was noisy.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Nearly every single one of their pressings has sold out instantly. They’ve been in business for eight years. How much longer do they have to stay in business to be deemed a success?

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea right! O' that's funny! and correct...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

bandage it!