$400-600 per LP? The Electric Recording Co. releases, already out and upcoming...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That you can’t look at. At least Picasso’s are in a museum for us mere mortals to gaze upon.

Hey, maybe they’ll donate sets to the public libraries of the world. That would be nice. DCC did.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That I can’t afford to hear the Electric Record Company’s pressing of Brilliant Corners doesn’t mean that I can’t afford to hear any pressing of Brilliant Corners. Just as my not being able to own an original Picasso doesn’t mean that I can’t own a book of reproductions of original Picassos.

The Electric Record Company isn’t taking away access to any recording from anyone. They’re adding 300 more painstakingly produced copies of that recording to the pool of copies that already exist. I fail to see the harm in that.

3. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

4. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Peasant! How DARE you voice an opinion with your lowly profile!

Trbnado likes this.
  5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

My mistake.

yasujiro likes this.
  6. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

He gets nearly all of his records sent to him. Not a knock or a slight, he does good work for the hobby. Most companies will sacrifice a copy for the potential revenue gain from a buyer being influenced by a review.

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yeah, but it will have a hole punch in the corner of the cover...

;)

That’s such an unsightly blemish cast upon an artisanal cover, lovingly hand crafted!

8. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

The DiskUnion "From the Original Mater Tape Series" was very well done as far as pursuit of "artistic" reproduction. Each record had different jackets (tip on, picture frame, glossy, non-glossy, etc.), different inner sleeve reproductions (blank, different year Blue Note advertising, etc.), different record label (R or no R, Lexington, various New York addresses, etc.) and different deep groove impressions to try and exactly replicate the first press releases. The mastering was done by Kevin Gray and pressed at QRP. There is (likely) difference in the equipment used, but Kevin Gray's mastering sounds wonderful (on the records I have). These records were initially sold for ¥5,500 or about $50 (which was still considered very pricey compared to other reissues at the time). They are all sold out and out or print and go for ¥20,000 ($180) or more depending on the title on the second hand market.

It is a different business model, but just an example that producing the ultimate reissue with great sound doesn't mean it has to cost $400+. That just comes from ERC limiting the number produced to create exclusivity.

Lucca90, Dubmart, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  9. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Oh, crap...you made me spill my tequila!

kt66brooklyn and lightbulb like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

No, no, the hole will be created by a special worm.

11. lightbulb

...hopefully not onto a $500 record!!!

:yikes: :faint: :yikes: :faint: :yikes:

Bluesman Mark, juanmanuel and cwd like this.
  12. lightbulb

I’ve seen records like that in thrift stores!!! :agree:

Bluesman Mark and patient_ot like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I have some really old books with worm holes in them. Will be a nice touch for a $500.00 promo copy.

14. Discogs:
    https://www.discogs.com/label/675669-The-Electric-Recording-Co?page=2
    This is great because you can check out if titles are for sale & what prices they're going for.

=======

We [the audiophile community] are way passed paying $500US for new LP's; heck we're way passed paying $500US for used LP's:
    Top 100 Most Expensive Records Sold on Discogs

It's not a single vendor nor certainly not a single person's fault, it's the marketplace as a whole [and anyone buying music new or used is apart of it].

=======

Thought ceedees would never be collectable, i'm naive [to put it politely]. Then Prince's Black Album on CD was fetching a hundred bucks:
    Prince - Black Album

Discogs 2018 top prices paid for CD's:
    Top 100 Most Expensive CD Releases Sold on Discogs

Do i like people paying astronomical prices for watches, paintings, homes, etc... no!
    It's an undeniable aspect of our lives though.

:angel:

15. lightbulb

$500 will get you:

Great sounding vinyl: Warm and Organic
    Great looking cover: Organically Wormy

astro70 likes this.
  16. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Exactly, it does not matter what you think or how dumb you find someone or thei idea, if they are profitable and a succrss, thry are doing something right.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  17. James_S888

To which I would have to say that really getting good sound from your vinyl is not cheap. A decent system, even buying stuff used is still going to cost 10,000 or more. IMO....
    I view the ERC stuff as a luxury product.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. James_S888

That and he tells it like he hears it.
    No matter what, he gives his honest opinion.
    Honesty is a rare good these days. Appreciate it.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  19. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

There is a difference of a record being sold on the second hand market as a collectors item vs. sold outright as a collectors item. I guess we (audiophiles) are guilty in both instances since we buy it if we want it (and can afford it) regardless, but personally, I can accept not being able to purchase a record since it is long out of print and too expensive, less so if it is priced $400+ from the get go. :sigh:

Lucca90 and lightbulb like this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I rather spend $600 for a dinner and wine. :D

bloodlemons, RiRiIII and FunkJazz like this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I mean, what can it sound like? I'd not pay that kind of money to have the musicians perform live in my home. I can't imagine what sort of sound would be worth that much to me.

BDC likes this.
  22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

... and imagine one can get Klemperer's whole recorded output for less than 200 dollars. Crazy...

23. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How do you KNOW this?? I used to work in the custom dress shirt industry. And have you personally seen and handled the shirts? I have (both with custom shirts and the high end $600 off-the-rack shirts).

First of all, and this may not mean much to you, but the workmanship is incredible, far better than the shirts I used to sell (that cost upwards of $175, and that was in the 1980s). The number of stitches per inch on the $600 shirts is astonishingly high. The detail on the craftsmanship is extraordinary. More than any $200 custom shirt (There are more expensive custom shirts today, depending on the company). Secondly, there's more work done by hand, and done by well-paid labor, on the $600 shirt than on the $200 custom shirt. And the fabric quality of the $600 is extraordinary, often custom fabrics made for the company in European factories, not Chinese ones.

By the way, $200 off the rack shirts will likely be of better quality than a $200 custom-made one. With custom shirts, there's a pattern to be cut just for you. Less expensive custom shirts will have a lot of the work be automated, not hand cut. Fewer stitches per inch means a shirt that doesn't handle or look as well in the long run. A $200 custom shirt is nothing to sneeze at, but it won't have the workmanship of the $600.

I had to see it for myself. My wife, who is a knitter and uses a sewing machine, was also amazed at the quality of the workmanship of those $600 ones.

kt66brooklyn, caravan70 and Ken E. like this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And you have actually heard one of these, right? Right??

All that stuff you say still doesn't address that question. YOU are not the target market for these. And you're talking out of a very dark place.

The fact is, this thread is full of people who talk out of knee-jerk ignorance. I betcha those same people understand why someone might buy a $150,000 Maserati automobile ("I mean, that's so stupid when you can get around in a $15,000 Yaris!"). But a $300 record??