$400-600 per LP? The Electric Recording Co. releases, already out and upcoming...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Apr 28, 2020.

1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Well, that was fast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  2. giantleech

And they still don't have it pictured on their site? Am I living in a time warp or something?

FWatty likes this.
  3. giantleech

I think I wriggled under the door just in time and wound up with FWatty's copy when he backed out.

[​IMG]

Gordon Johnson and FWatty like this.
  4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Got mine today 295/300. Won't get a chance to play it until tomorrow. I have the AP45, AP33 and Craft 33 - will be interested to see how this stacks up.

giantleech, Echoes Myron and AaronW like this.
  5. giantleech

So are people at the point where they just pretend to own records now? Here is a quote from the very first posted comment on the Discogs page listing this Chet Baker title on ERC:

"My first ERC and this edition is truly remarkable and exceeds my expectations. As though Chet is singing in my room."

As I said in reply:

"You might want to check your closet or under your bed if you hear someone singing because this album is entirely instrumental."

BSU, SAMAUL, Wounded Land and 7 others like this.
  6. "I'd like to see the receipt for the proof of purchase for that product, please."

7. The phrase "free market" is a fnord. An oxymoron that people are conditioned to not notice.
    Instead, they're supposed to assent to it as if it made coherent sense as a verbal construction.

8. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Brilliant reply :laugh: . Perhaps the 'singing' is a reference to Chet's playing, hence the subtitle of this record as "The Lyrical Trumpet of Chet Baker"?

giantleech likes this.
  9. giantleech

Here's my "from out of left field" pick for what I think would make for a good future title (in the "folk and rock" realm, if the label continues to pursue such) on ERC.

[​IMG]

10. giantleech

^^^ Has the candidacy attributes for being released on ERC for being "great" (in my opinion), rare (never had a US release, which contributes to its elusiveness... along with allegedly having very few copies issued in its original pressing run) and expensive on the second-hand market.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Far too obscure for ERC to bother with, their Rock, Pop, Jazz titles may in some cases be scarce at least on original press, but they've all been well known and in demand, as have many of the Classical titles, now just maybe ERC are at a stage where a Norma Tanega reissue will sell out straight away, but I think that's far from certain and they have lots of safer material to mine, perhaps Light In The Attic would be a better fit for a Norma Tanega reissue or reissues especially as the music would reach a far wider audience.

AaronW likes this.
  12. giantleech

If not ERC (and I know that would be a real long shot), I'd like to see a label like Mobile Fidelity take a stab a such a title. They could initiate a "Left Field" niche-series (outside of the endless Miles and Bob) of worthy yet relatively obscure rarities highly deserving of high-quality AAA reissues. Cap those oddballs at 2000 numbered copies and just try and tell me that they won't fly out the door.

Alan Bumstead likes this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well, as I often say on here, I like music to reach as many people as possible, so I'd still suggest LITA, who could potentially reissue her other albums, have a track record of treating the catalogues of female artists with respect, generally produce well mastered decent pressings with good sleeves that are reasonably priced and would reach the widest possible audience. Having said that 2000 copies would probably be more than enough for existing demand though as you already know MoFi are hardly adventurous in their choices. Option three is contact the estate or Sony, depending on who owns it, licence the album and select the mastering engineer and pressing plant of your choice though that will cost even more than buying an ERC.:laugh:

Jellis77 likes this.
  14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I emailed Real Gone about this one. They put out her other album. Hope they do this one and a comp of songs Norma wrote for others. Especially Dusty. They did Dustys stuff so it would fit. This would not fit Electric R co at all. Not elitist. Too true.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. giantleech

I'd still rather see this album get a bonafide top shelf level AAA release, which I'm not sure either of the above mentioned labels would be willing or likely to make happen (I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, especially if either of these labels were to truly "step up their game" across the board.)

As I said before, Mobile Fidelity could expand their reach (broaden their awareness and visibility beyond their "dad rock" zone clientele) by having a sub-series of "out of left field" releases that they could cap at 2000 numbered "units" and they would vanish. At least I know that MOFI has the capability to "knock it out of the park" in the mastering department and I think this album deserves such treatment.

16. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Who's buying the David Oistrach?

Ironic that I just bought his Violinkonzert D-Dur Op. 61 2 days ago as I saw his live concert...How does this ERC "plays Encores" album rate.

17. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

"ERC070 - David Oistrakh Plays Encores accompanied by Vladimir Yampolsky" is available for sale on their website now.

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Would Mofi be able to move 2000 copies of a Norma Tanega release? It's a serious question, as I have no idea what sales are of their "dad rock" titles.

19. giantleech

:wave:

20. giantleech

Yes (I believe so.)

21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Sounds like you invented a cool, timely idea for a new record label. Go for it :)

Superior Viaduct might fit. I’m a real Gone fan. Interesting releases. Varied and reasonably priced. Cool blue collar philosophy in an music atmosphere that is more Bloomingdales nowadays. Superior Viaduct does high quality varied releases too. Got their Forbidden Planet reissue at Amoeba. Great sound and packaging.

The BlackJazz stuff on Real Gone is high quality. Great packaging, pressing and sound. Cool notes. They stepped it up on these.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Dubmart likes this.
  22. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Have you listened to this album before?

I know he is one of the greatest but is it a remarkeable performance? I obviously only saw 1 performance for Beethoven violin.

23. giantleech

It's possible.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. giantleech

Don't think it would be AAA with them. I'd like to see this Tanega album get the top shelf treatment. It's gotta be AAA.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

You saw Oistrakh in concert?

I bought the Encores LP. It’s a great one, of course. Goes without saying. All of the classical selections on ERC are so, to a title.

AaronW and giantleech like this.