$400-600 per LP? The Electric Recording Co. releases, already out and upcoming...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Apr 28, 2020.

1. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Ha!! YouTube of course...But I just know his reputation. Not this particular album though.

This would be my first ERC....I never would have guessed it would be a classical title as I don't listen to all that much classical. But do love the violin and like Heifetz.

On edit: Purchased. I surprised myself. I thought my first ERC purchase would be the upcoming Coltrane My Favorite Things>>> get the mono version right?

Hope the Oistrakh is off the charts amazing!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    AaronW and OE3 like this.
  2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

MFSL tried something along those lines with their Silver Label series but that pretty much fizzled out.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    OE3 likes this.
  3. Alan Bumstead

Alan Bumstead Forum Resident

I don't know about "fizzled out" but the Silver Label series was based on a 'next best' theme as far as sourcing is concerned, not the actual material, so not a good comparison. If it has fizzled out, it must only be due to lack of enthusiasm for an audiophile pressing that doesn't really add much excepting that annoying post-90s loudness wars staple; extra bass. I agree with giant leech in this respect. An oddball series triple AAA rated would be fantastic and at 2000 copies they absolutely would fly out the door, because MoFi fanboys is now a global phenomenon. I mean, even I'd be down for one of everything in that (imaginary) series. Someone send a petition to Jim Davis. Consider my signature added.

giantleech likes this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Ol' Al here has pretty much nailed down all of the main points that I also had in mind regarding such matters. MOFI, known for "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING" status and source for their masterings and final product pretty much rendered (and might as well have just openly declared) their "Silver Series" (implying "silver medal" a.k.a. "second place" a.k.a. "first loser") absolute LOSERTOWN right from the get-go. Who is going to get all worked up and thrilled about a second place status sources release series from a label that we basically expect nothing but the absolute best from? No one, that's who (especially when considering the fact that master tape utilized first/original pressings of the titles they released were already plentiful in the used bins around the world.) Two thumbs down from Siskel and Ebert on Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's Silver Series project. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Now, an AAA series of "rare," and "in-demand" items of "offbeat" and "cult" status, issued in strict limited and numbered editions (I say 2000) has all sort of possibilities of expanding MOFI's profile, market and awareness to new and "untapped" areas and populations of the worldwide record collectrosphere. Norma Tanega's excellent (according to me) second album, released five year after her "novelty hit" known/driven first album and released only in the UK (and New Zealand, apparently) fits the bill for exactly the type of "Left Field" series that I propose for MOFI. MOFI would provide us with what would more than likely be the best possible quality mastering/reissue of any such rare and well-deserving album that any of us could ever reasonably hope for and we would reward MOFI with wicked fast sell-outs of these titles. Guaranteed ROI for MOFI and actual new, unusual and exciting records beyond the typical and endlessly recycled "warhorses" being issued in magnificent style, bringing more eyes, ears and interest to the "hobby."

The MOFI label "Dad Rock" collectors (or which I am one) and the members of the "Oddball Record Underground" (of which I am one), not to mention the FOMO Punter Brigade, would all coalesce to make this series and smashing success and breathe new and fresh life into a presently stale and stagnant audiophile canon.

5. giantleech

As well, if ERC decided to tap into some of these unexpected, out of left filed titles and labor of loved them into spectacularly mastered editions of, say, 150 numbered copies, even those very expensive editions would vanish from their stock sooner than later.

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

How MFSL described the Silver Label series:

"Future releases will continue to stretch stylistic boundaries, as the MoFi Silver Label continues to explore music from many different genres. The majority of Silver Label titles are sourced from the original tapes, there are some exceptions where the best available source is used."

7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

8. Combination

Never thought I'd see an audiophile lift a phrase from a lousy t-shirt company, but there's a first time for everything!

[​IMG]

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I really don't understand why you want a record you appear to love that has been almost impossible to find for fifty years to be available in tiny numbers and only available to a few wealthy collectors who happen to get their orders in quick enough, perhaps to you record collecting is about rarity and status, for me it's about music and wanting as many people as possible to have access to that music on vinyl, there are plenty of labels using original tapes, mastering and pressing properly who don't artificially limit their runs or charge huge premiums, they may not have the same cachet as ERC or MoFi, but would be a better choice for almost everyone.

10. giantleech

The whole "Silver Series" effort just comes off as as bush league, second hand, also ran, and etch-a-sketch in excelsis. In other words, lame (ymmv.) "Sourced from" is a roundabout obfuscating way of saying "not the" ('nuff said.)

11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Silver Label Vinyl Series

I looked up the Silver Series not sure if these are really tasty lost albums. Lots of 80s pop. But fits the audiophile taste. I think other labels fill the niche of interesting lost music just fine. Mo Fi and Elec co know their demo and how to fill their wants. Pricey limited middle of the road stuff.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. giantleech

I'd rather see MOFI stick their necks out and tackle areas outside of their "comfort zone" and release other great albums outside of the dad rock canon. I've already made my case for the benefits of this approach several posts ago. MOFI will have the capacity and likelihood to do a much better job in master tape acquisition, mastering and pressing than almost any other label that would bother to take on such as project. That is a fact. I'm not interested in other labels doing a lesser quality job than MOFI is likely to do. Period. And 200o copies of such a title is a reasonable number to press for a label like MOFI, that would be uncertain and cautious about such realms outside of their general wheelhouse and it would supply at least what I believe to be a solid number of people who would be interested in acquiring such titles for themselves (and one need not be "wealthy" to shell out for a copy of one of MOFI's standard issue 33 1/3 single LP productions.)

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

This was the post I was referring to, very different from 2000 copies by MoFi and a very different price as well, I'd have no problem with MoFi doing a normal priced run of 2000, though as a label they do seem to like to play safe and don't seem to do so well when they stray from their chosen path.

14. giantleech

Right, because I'm sure that a t-shirt company came up with this phrase and that it has not been a common colloquialism for decades prior or even longer than that.

How 'bout this for a tagline slogan for MOFI's "Silver Series"?: "WARNING! Not as good as Original Master Recording, so don't get your hopes up, cheese."

15. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Well, Ostraikh hasn't sold out yet. ERC titles seem to sell out quickly. I guess maybe not one of their most popular titles.

16. I’m going to assume you’re being facetious, but that saying has existed long long before it was put on a t-shirt.

giantleech likes this.
  17. giantleech

The Classical titles generally tend to stick around in availability for about a week's time before selling out. This Oistrakh joint will disappear soon enough, that I can assure you.

vinylshadow likes this.
  18. Combination

Why not send your thoughts to MOFI themselves, as opposed to this website?

19. giantleech

Whatever banter about MOFI that appears here is sure to be received across the transom at the intel department of MOFI headquarters, bet on it.

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I got a response back from Real Gone. They said, they tried to do the 2nd Norma Tanega album, but apparently someone beat them to it. So maybe this will be coming out. Nothing on discogs. I still like the idea of Norma songs Dusty did. Along with any other covers.

Dubmart likes this.
  21. Combination

Please do keep us all informed about what kind of action they take after reading your cogitations.

22. giantleech

I'd submit that it would even be ideal (outside of the other two labels I already mentioned) if Rhino was to take a whack at this one (and I'm sure that they too would be capable and likely to do a fantastic job) but, as it stands, from what information I have been able to glean, this 2nd Tanega title is more than likely going to get the hack-job treatment (a shame, really.)

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

First time I have ever seen Leonid Kogan, Carl Schuricht, Johanna Martzy and Magda Tagliaferro referred to as MOR.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Mok

Mok Has Potential

It’s laughable to deride what MFSL did with the Silver series as has gone on in this thread without citing exactly what issues you could have with these. They were often the best pressed versions of these albums to be had for very reasonable prices, and try finding them today - very popular and sold out. And any that are still in print sell wildly any time they are repressed. Give me the quality of a Ricky Sings Again or B-52’s self titled for what was it $25? I will take those any day.

25. Alan Bumstead

Alan Bumstead Forum Resident

There may have been some hyperbole directed at the silver series in the above comments, but the place it stems from is less a concern for SQ and more a distaste for the safe “dad rock” selections that are so regularly wheeled out by the audiophile labels. It’s aimed at a certain market & it’s kinda boring. It’s nostalgia for the big hitters of old, which is tedious when there’s so much unsung genius out there.

giantleech and Greenalishi like this.