$400-600 per LP? The Electric Recording Co. releases, already out and upcoming...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Mok

Mok Has Potential

I agree with the context of what you're saying. I just don't understand the aforementioned "dad rock" alignment with this, when specifically the Silver Series had almost nothing of Dad Rock in it. B-52's, Yaz, Ricky Nelson, Cyndi Lauper … dad rock? For whatever it's worth, I see MoFi going quite a way in bringing a very varied complement of genres. They always have. The ones that seem to sell more are the traditionally favored among the "dad" set, but only because of a long-in-the-tooth historical inequity in the home music "hi-fi" market (based on a rather terrible history of trumpeting to the middle age male set while simultaneously second-classing female music appreciators - ever hear of the gross acronym WAF and what it insinuates?). You are right that many still succumb to this trope and favor marketing directly to men while alienating women (if that is what you are getting at - don't want to put words in anyone's mouth here). We can hope that with the surge in vinyl sales, it should come that these labels take bigger swings now that they can afford to. Just hope they don't market a 'pink' label for 'audiogals' - please be beyond that!

2. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Mo Fi, Elec co, know their market and what they like. So they give it to them. That’s their niche. Other labels do other kinds of music. Room for all.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Oistrakh Encores is now sold out.

vinylshadow likes this.
  4. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

You called it...Classical takes a bit more time.

So when the Coltrane Giant Steps and esp. My Favorite Things are released, the mono issues are the ones to get?

Did I read here that the stereo cut of My Favorite Things was a bit wonky?

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Some people will do anything to avoid using their money meaningfully.

6. Carl Swanson

An independent endorsement would be even more valuable.

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Loaded word. Some people drink alcohol. I find that pastime utterly meaningless and, with increasing research, unhealthy in even smallest doses. Others think fine wines and spirits are beautiful things imbued with spiritual qualities that enrich one's life. Re ERC, now that, with the announcement of a second Oistrakh title, we may surmise it will be doing for Oistrakh as it did for Kogan—and the former is the superior player, no slight against Kogan who is still among my top 5 fiddlers—I think there are few more meaningful pursuits in my life than to obtain each and every one of these painstakingly produced AAA reissues. Can't afford originals. Musical medication. Exclamation point.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  8. Carl Swanson

Not I.

9. giantleech

I don't know anything about the mix/surviving tapes history of those two titles but I imagine that the mono LPs, when issued (if indeed they are to be), will each reach sold out status within an hour's time of ERC's pre-order email notification.

vinylshadow likes this.
  10. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

These titles and mono vs stereo was discussed in this thread earlier so I assumed they were in the queue..... I was too lazy to search!

11. Alan Bumstead

Alan Bumstead Forum Resident

I applied quotes to my use of Dad Rock perhaps to signal a broader perspective on the epithet, which takes in the quality of nostalgia. The likes of B-52s and Yaz are not being marketed to millennials. Anyone who remembers such acts in their heyday and who buys this stuff (and hey I buy some of it too) is going to be gen x or boomer. Consider the proposals above: our MoFi "Odd Series" (for want of a better title) to me is not about nostalgia or age or generation. It's about digging into the past and extracting diamonds we hardly know about. Fresh discovery for all, not rediscovery for some. And of course there are lots of labels doing this already, but the point is to have some of this stuff released in audiophile quality.

giantleech and Mok like this.
  12. giantleech

Exactly on point and well articulated.

13. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

No ERC Chet review ?

OE3 and AaronW like this.
  14. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

Yes you’re 100% right. Everyone should stay away from thrift store records. They’re all garbage. Anyone reading this message should stay away don’t even look in the bins. Waste of your time.

15. Greenalishi

I literally have 1 buck thrift store copies of Brewer and Traffic. Both sound awesome

richierichie and zbarbera like this.
  16. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

I have a stone mint Miles - Sketches of Spain 1st press stereo and an unplayed Clifford Brown Mosaic box that I totally didn’t pay $1 and $5 for at a thrift shop. So nobody think you could ever find something like that at a thrift shop.

I repeat. Stay away. Don’t waste your time or money. Even if they look perfect it’s all a ruse. Don’t buy it, leave it behind for the suckers.

Shawn likes this.
  17. Greenalishi

Come over and listen some time. I might blow your mind

18. Alan Bumstead

Alan Bumstead Forum Resident

Any bets on what's about to be dropped at the end of the week? Am hoping the JC rumours come true...

19. Greenalishi

I voted for you guys in the expensive stuff poll. I hope and know this exclusive club will thrive. With lp s eventually ending up at goodwill.

Sorry about your philosophical leader Madoff passing away.

Groucho was right, hah

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Johanna Martzy? Overrated or nah? Some (moi included) find her playing a bit too straight-forward and interpretively bland and her tone somewhat hard, especially in louder passages. Good technique, but not dazzling. Her English Columbias are Holy Grails for some, but in the days when eBay permitted knowledge of bidders’ home countries, winners were always from Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Why?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  21. giantleech

Lucifer Sam thread had me thinking that, if ERC was to continue to pursue "rock" (was Love just a fluke?), Piper (At The Gates Of Dawn) in mono (with ERC's treatment) would make for an interesting curveball and sensation-causer.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  22. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

an ERC Coltrane is not a rumour. it is definitely happening

23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Due to work and family I have only just got round to playing the ERC Chet. I don't have an original but I do have the AP45, the AP33 and Craft release from the recent box. I like the ERC best. Played on an all valve system it just works better. It is more relaxed, more real, more of an experience.

I have 3 ERC titles - Chet and the 2 Forever Changes. Every time I play one I wish I had all 60 titles.

I will buy more if a title I can't resist comes up and John Coltrane fits into that category.

kt66brooklyn, giantleech and Lucca90 like this.
  24. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I have one - Ryan Adams' Love is Hell. It sounds quite good. Bit of a cult album.

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Could part of your preference be that the ERC Chet is mono while all the others are stereo?

kt66brooklyn and Jeremy B. like this.