SH Spotlight 45 RPM mastering "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section", one of THE greatest albums of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I too have the Grundman version of Way Out West, and it is very nice indeed - a fine example of what CD can do when handled with loving attention

2. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Steve Hoffman posted:

Listen to the "rhythm" channel only (should be the right channel); in other words, the channel without the saxophone in it. The music should be dry as a bone, no echo. AND there should be no echo bleed through from the saxophone channel when the sax is soloing.

I just got this on the Analogue Productions 45rpm by Kevin and Steve. What a treat!

I have not listened to a tremedous amount of jazz. This is a stereo LP, was it the norm at the time to cut it lead instrument one channel, rhythm section the other channel?

By mistake I left the setting at Mono from the previous LP the second time I put this on. Sounded great, but different, then I realized what I'd done, and this question of how they cut it occurred to me.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Contemporary Records was the first jazz label to record in stereo.

In the early 1950's they were using Capitol's Melrose Studio to cut all of their "Good Time Jazz" (Firehouse Five Plus Two) and "Contemporary" records. When Capitol switched over to the Tower Studio in July of 1956, Contemporary didn't follow over there. Instead they bought their own Ampex 350-2 portable tape recorder and started recording in the back storeroom of the Contemporary/Good Time Jazz offices. The two engineers, Howard Holzer and Roy DuNann just set up their three or four microphones and let her rip, live to two track. They also had a mono machine going for the mono feed.

At that time the idea of "binaural" sound meant (to them) a very obvious left/right deal, with nothing in the middle. They actually had not heard any stereo recordings before they started recording in the medium so they just guessed that it was the correct way to do it. The reason they did a binaural recording at all was because of the open reel audiophile tape market. This had nothing to do with stereo LP's which didn't come along until 1958. Of course when stereo records were finally perfected, Contemporary found that their backlog of stereo master tapes could be utilized. Therefore such groundbreaking works from 1956-7 such as "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section", Sonny Rollins "Way Out West", Shelly Manne and Friends "Jazz Impressions Of MY FAIR LADY" and the great Brown/Kessel/Manne "The Poll Winners" exist in true binaural form and they sound great. I've listened to the mono master recordings of these albums and they sound a bit pinched compared to their binaural counterparts. The mono tapes had a bit of compression and EQ done to them during recording (like any major studio would) but the two-track tapes were done pretty much neutral and uncompressed. I love all of the Contemporary label stuff. I even love the FIREHOUSE FIVE PLUS TWO. Their Dixieland stuff really sounds amazing from that era.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I am actually just discovering Art Pepper, and believe it or not have never heard this album before. I'll hear it the right way and get your version, Steve.

You are a lucky man indeed to be able to do what you love for your work.

Evan

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Sonny Rollin's Way Out West definitely has that binaural sound and the liner notes on the MFSL aluminum issue mention that Ampex 350-2 recorder. That was MFSL's first ever CD in 1984.

6. Angel

Angel New Member

Re: Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of all time?

This sounds very wonderful. Is there no way to hear "your" version without buying the expensive 45 RPM edition?

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Would this explain why A&M's tapes were so consistently bad? I own nearly a dozen, and they are washed-out, noisy beasts. Another engineer mentioned to me that it depended on what A&M would have sent to Ampex as a source to be duplicated, which makes sense. I have had A&M reels from a variety of sources, and in different conditions, even buying one or two that were still sealed. And yet I bought a couple of Verve reels that, while sounding good (a lot better than A&M's), still has all the hiss that comes with 7.5ips reels.

A Stan Kenton reel of "West Side Story" on Capitol, a Fantasy reel of Cal Tjader's "West Side Story", and...heh....the movie soundtrack of "West Side Story on Columbia all do sound quite good...the A&M's seem to be the runt of the litter IMHO.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thanks for that last post, Steve. Very enlightening. Roy DuNann knew what he was doing and his work surpassed that of just about all of his peers. This seems evident despite the reissue version or stereophonics, at least to me. His recordings were a cut above.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Would this apply to Fantasy as well? I'm listening to Cal Tjader's Greatest Hits CD, from his early Fantasy era. The album "Mamblues" is from is presented in mono on CD, and yet the song is "stereo" or, rather, "binaural" as you mention here. Apparently Tjader's West Side Story may have been binaural also, as the song "Cool" on the same CD is binaural as well...no center information for either recording. Although I do hear reverb leaking from one channel to the other, as though they were trying to make the stereo impression fuller.

I have West Side Story on reel, but my deck isn't hooked up. It IS two-channel...whether or not it is binaural or true stereo I can't verify, but my bet is it's binaural like the version on Greatest Hits.

Edit: the "Ginza Samba" with Stan Getz is also binaural.

10. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of all ti

Well, not really. All of the versions in print out there, either on LP or CD or whatever have too much echo and the channels have been "folded in" through a solid state recording console; ruins the intimate sound for me.

The original MoFi silver disc might be dry, but I've never heard it. Also, I believe there was an original JVC Japan issue way back when that might have been dry as well. These are out of print and very hard to find....

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Here's a scan of side 2 of 4 from the 45 RPM....
    A beauty if you ask me. :D

Attached Files:

• artp.jpg
      artp.jpg
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Steve Hoffman

Very nice. That's the first issue label that Contemporary used in 1958---"Stereo Records". Catchy name, eh?

I've only seen the TP's. This is the first time I've seen the actual label recreation.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I don't own a turntable But Bernie Grundman and Doug Sax also remastered this session for Analogue Productions a few years back on
    Gold Disc. Both versions Bernie's and Doug's versions of the remaster sound excellent.

If Steve was also mastering it to CD I would pick it up without another thought.

Steve did remaster Art Peppers Gettin' Together for DCC on a Gold disc and to my ears it is musically and sonically at the very very top of a very long list.

14. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Just burned DCC Gettin Together for the Car, and have been enjoying it mucho Lately!

15. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Re: Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of al

Gary,

You must not have read my above post.....

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Meets is the only Audiophile Art Pepper I'm missing. Have both DCC's and the AP golds of "Smack Up" and " +Eleven". All are very tasty. "+ Eleven" sound fantastic too, as good as a DCC IMHO.
    Just have to decide if I buy "Meets" in gold or hybrid SACD. (Don't have an SACD player....yet)

17. Gary Freed

Steve,

I thought something was lacking.
    For the record. Pardon the pun. Bernie and Doug's version of Meets the Rythym Section do not hold a candle to your mastering of Gettin' Together or Intensity. Maybe it's that SS console.

You are in another league. Please tell us that you are also doing a CD of Meets the Rythym Section!:agree:

All the best,

Gary

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Gary,
    You seem to like, understand, and appreciate a lot of fifties music. Wouldn't it be interesting to own a TT?

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

In my computer monitor I see a bit of yellow in the lettering. In reality it should be faint gold. Sort of like the Parlophone Black/Gold Please Please Me.

20. Gary Freed

Hi Ben,

I would like nothing more than to have another turntable. During the
    70's I owned a vintage Fisher tube amp with a vintage scott preamp and some really great KLH speakers. You know the whole shooting match.
    My front end was the top of the line Thorens TT that was available during that time period.

I went away for a weekend with some friends and came back to find everyone of my beautiful lPs were destroyed by a 5 year old cousin who was visiting. He apparently thought they were neat frisbees and they were all shattered in pieces quite methodically. Almost 100 LPs total.

I have two youngsters of my own now and the memory of what happened way back still haunts me.

A turntable is definitely in my future but for now I'm playing it safe. I have a
    really great CD player and only use back-up copies of my discs. The originals are safely locked away.

21. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear about your LP disaster. I have a five year old and she's stayed away from the LPs so far (she's got a small CD player boom box of her own).

I always say "LPs are not for everyone". I understand lifestyle choices, circumstances and individual preferences can make LP playing more of a pain than it's worth.

22. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thanks Steve, I been waiting for the release of AP Meets the Rhythm Section for over a year. It was definately worth it. Philly Joe's Drum sound is awesome, very sharp. I was blown away to be able the hear the pads hitting the notes on AP's sax. I know that his sax was dried out and hadn't been played for a while. I've never heard this sound so distinctive in a recording. It really brings you into the Contemporary mailroom.

Any chance that you'll be doing this treatment on more Contemporary Recordings? I sure would love to hear Benny Carter's Jazz Giant in this format.

23. Steve Hoffman

Wait until you hear the 45 RPM cut of "Art Pepper + 11"!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  24. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I suppose +11 will be in the next batch. You mentioned that "Monk's Music" was coming out, thats one of my favorites, love hearing the Hawk and Coltrane playing together. When will Chad announce the next batch?

25. Steve Hoffman

I guess when he is done picking the full 25...

kt66brooklyn likes this.