4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I don't believe there are many concerts on 4K discs.
    The music industry always seems to be a bit behind.

jjhunsecker and shokhead like this.
  2. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I have to wonder though, how long ANY of these entities will stay in business.

Let me get on AOL and see what they say.

jamesc, Spitfire and The Beave like this.
  3. VUDU has changed ownership without issue.

SamS likes this.
  4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Apple Amazon and Microsoft? You're kidding, right?

The other fear people have is that the platform will lose the license to the content and have to delete it from their library, which is not unreasonable. But let's say you paid $5 for it, or even in the case of many platforms as much as $20 and watched it five times. I would consider that money well spent regardless of whether someone thought they should 'own' it forever. Lastly, the concern that if your membership at the platform ends so does your ownership of the media there. I would expect no less, and again the same reasoning holds. If I paid a couple dollars for it and watched it a few times it was money well spent.

SamS and 64FALCON like this.
  5. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Not kidding. I mean things change, companies dissolve and are bought out etc. Look at the last 20 years, a lot of this stuff in really in its infancy to some degree.

I mean I agree with you, it is fairly unlikely, but to me it is still a fear overall. Online stuff and so on, have not been around decades or are set in stone.

Look at Blockbuster or Sears. Who would have thought year ago either would vanish.

CBackley likes this.
  6. But their assets were absorbed by other companies.

SamS likes this.
  7. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I don't think it's a reasonable fear, so to speak. Technology companies aren't Blockbuster or Sears. Sure, we could get hit by a bus then we couldn't watch or listen to any of our 'stuff' again ever. Another fairly low probability event. But again, the rest of my post lays it out. Nothing is forever. Figure out how many times you're going to watch or listen to it and whether it's worth the price of buying or, God Forbid, renting it. Having a hard copy gives us certain advantages, but this business about thinking we own something forever, that stuff doesn't get damaged, that it increases in value, whatever non-reality based thinking we use to rationalize spending our disposable income, those are all tissue paper thin rationalizations that people treat like rock hard foundations.

SamS and Shawn like this.
  8. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I guess. I didn't know this was a thing.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for me it's worth it to buy dual releases 4K /BD... I have a bunch...some companies still offer BD/DVD dual releases as well.

jhm likes this.
  10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

It's a cool idea, actually. I'm not sure if organizing an online site where the you buy them and then publicly share them at a buck or two a pop is exactly legal.

11. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

UHD discs, for me, constitute the simple end goal of having a reference-quality library of films, in whatever amounts to their best original version(s), that cannot be further touched, deleted, wokified/censored, logoed, or otherwise screwed up, in aspect ratio or content.

Most things reach their peak just before extinction. UHD discs are at that peak.
    The replication plants are very few now, and the manufacturers of players are slowly drifting away.
    If you enjoy the quality, get them now while they are affordable, or pay a fortune later when someone declares them "collectable".

C.

jhm, ATR, reapers and 1 other person like this.
  12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Thinking on it further, why are these sites that rent access to downloads they bought not in violation of copyright? Yes, I could sell the passwords to my video platforms and hopefully not get caught by the platforms. But I wouldn't do it for the same reason. You can't sell copies of copyrighted material. It's piracy. And it can't be Apple or Microsoft who're doing this. If you buy a video from Vudu it's about $20. They're not buying people's download codes.

13. There are any number of potential issues with new discs too, from inaccurate colors, excessive grain management, image issues like ‘black crush’ and what seems to be an unfortunate trend: no original audio mix (replaced by multi-channel). There’s really no perfect solution, rather a lesser of whatever evils bother you most.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    Graham likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Of course things change. But until there is a credible impact to the licensed contact, I'm not living in 'fear overall'.

So far, the 'worst case scenario' of a digital retailer losing rights to a movie means you can no longer purchase it (as a new customer). I still maintain my rights to stream and download it at my convenience. This has happened literally one time out of 1,100+ movies I've purchased. Literally zero impact to me.

15. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Always read reviews and you can avoid badly done titles.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm no lawyer :) But they're not selling copies of copyrighted material. They're selling a license for usage of copyrighted material. Usually the T&Cs of the redemption process prohibit you from redeeming the code if you were not the original purchaser of the disc + digital copy combo. I have no idea how this could possibly be enforced. Think about it :)

Note - secondhand resell of codes is definitely 'a thing', but certainly not the dominant way people purchase digital movies. That's done through the traditional digital retailers i.e. iTunes, Amazon, Microsoft, VUDU. All of which have daily sales, bundles, etc. Sure you can pay $19.99 on release-day, but I prefer to wait for the $5 sales :D

17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Annoying though when one of those is a favourite title and is unlikely to be reissued again.

Shawn likes this.
  18. ...and we're not even discussing viewing distance for the eye to resolve 4K, which most people don't follow.

For instance, THX recommends a minimum distance from my 77" OLED at 7.5ft, which is a 40% viewing angle. I sit about 6.5ft away with zero pixel problems with a properly encoded disc. THX's maximum distance for the same setup is roughly 11ft. I don't know why they would recommend a maximum distance when they already set a minimum distance, but there it is (I follow THX's recommendations more because they fall more in line with Panasonic).

Still, how many people who have 4K TVs are allowing their eyes the best chance at seeing that extra detail? Not many. I've walked into many friend's houses to see their 4K TVs above the fireplace, or mounted way up the wall and/or with a viewing distance of 18ft away, or whatever long diatance.

I don't say much, but inwardly I want to rearrange their stuff. :nyah:

jhm likes this.
  19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

In some cases, films issued as 4K is more intriguing because of new transfers, which often benefit even the 2K versions of the movies (often included). This coupled with the fact that studios are getting smarter about how they clean up films (e.g. not over applying noise reduction to reduce grain) and some of the new 4K releases are just great transfers in any resolution.

20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

mdm08033 and MYQ1 like this.
  21. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

The Last Waltz is, and it’s fantastic

jhm and MYQ1 like this.
  22. saturdayboy

The both use compression codecs. The 4K discs are better now, but as streaming bandwidths increase, streaming quality could theoretically surpass the discs.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

mdm08033 and saturdayboy like this.
  24. saturdayboy

905 likes this.
  25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have The Last Waltz and there's a Clapton title (I don't have), and A Delicate Sound of Thunder - 4K but I own it via iTunes, no disc.

saturdayboy likes this.