4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Distracting? :eek:
    I love the added detail/colors, but I also love 3D which can be distracting.

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I find that a really good upscaling Blu-Ray player and/or 4K television gives 4K discs a run for their money.
    We aren't comparing DVDs to Blu-rays here. That was a big improvement. 4K? Less so...
    YMMV

FACE OF BOE and jamesc like this.
  3. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I have quite a few 4k discs and an LG OLed Tv. As with audio, a lot depends on the actual mastering and how the film was shot. The biggest improvement I've noticed is with films that have a lot of deep blacks. I recently watched the 4K release of David Lynch's Lost Highway. I though it finally came close to how it looked on 35mm when I saw it.

Stencil likes this.
  4. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

If there’s a 4K version available, I buy it. Very little difference to me versus Blu-ray on my 4K tv though.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, to me. My attention is so distracted by the fine visual details that I can't concentrate on the storyline. This is why I actually like B&W movies and TV shows.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

If the Blu-ray has the same mastering it's not going to be a big difference if your player is set to upconvert to 4K.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

Any current updates on 4k? Are sales declining? I know Best Buy isn't selling them anymore.
    OTOH studios keeping putting them out.
    Criterion is coming out with a 4k of "I Soy Cuba"

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As I understand it, BB is dropping physical media period - no DVDs or BDs either. Not just 4Ks.

9. jojopuppyfish

Thanks BTW I started this thread and I'll tell everyone I ended up getting the OPPO 4k player and the most recent Sony 4k (OLED)
    Those David Attenborough films that are filmed in 4k are by far the best media I've seen on the 4k.
    Blu Rays are great but 4k is magic to me.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I should get those Attenborough productions but I've held off as they don't appeal to me for repeat viewing. I bet they're incredible eye candy in 4K.

It's amazing what an improvement 4K and OLED screens can provide. I didn't think any upgrade would be worthwhile after going from NTSC to 1080p. It took me a couple years after 4K was introduced before diving. It's as big an upgrade as the original advance to HD--not just because of the resolution but the dynamic range. And Atmos is an important upgrade too.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

4K Discs? are worth it if your player is up to the task, my Sony UBP-X800M2 has a very annoying habit of the image freezing on 4K discs (it plays everything else flawlessly). Software is up to date, did a factory restore this morning, will see if this resolves the issue.

12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I ordered Carrie this morning. Criterion announced a Bela Tarr film I haven’t seen coming out in April.
    For all the concern I see about streaming platforms dropping titles it’s far more likely that movies disappear than music, and streamed content even in 4K is a bit of a crap shoot with video. I recommend getting well reviewed titles that you love while they’re available. I paid top dollar for Wicker Man steelbook on ebay a couple weeks ago, and it was well worth it.

jhm and Aleksander86 like this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My Oppo 205 has this problem if I let the dust build up around it, and I need to get it serviced every year or two. The data on 4K discs is so dense that if there's even a minor problem with the player's optical unit or smear on the disc it will cause the 4K playback to freeze and skip. The problem doesn't manifest with regular blu-ray or audio discs.

Deuce66 likes this.
  14. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Yes, The Wicker Man is an amazing release.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

My player is new and the 4K discs are mint so that's not the issue, Blu Ray.com has a huge thread about 4K players and their "sensitivity" to just about everything.

64FALCON likes this.
  16. jojopuppyfish

Planet Earth III is coming out in 4k this Feb
    Amazon.com

jjhunsecker and Aleksander86 like this.
  17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I have two: X800 and X800M2.
    X800 used to freeze once in a while. Had to unplug it to fix. Awhile ago it stopped doing it for some reason. I did mod for region free playing, but not sure if it affected it.

Deuce66 likes this.
  18. jojopuppyfish

I'ver never had a problem with my OPPO reading 4k discs

aroney, audiomixer, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  19. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

How do SACDs sound on it (if you use it)?

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sound is very good to excellent, but there are better options for those not needing to integrate their HT and stereo system.

jhm and Boomy like this.
  21. Grant likes this.
  22. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I'm actually surprised Best Buy is still in business at all. :sigh:

audiomixer likes this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Make sure your 4k player is sitting on a solid surface that won't allow wobble on both the piece of furniture you have it on and by putting your hand on the player as it is spinning the disc. Just make sure you feel that the spin isn't creating a noticeable jittery vibration. It should be so smooth you can't even feel that it's on or spinning.

Deuce66 likes this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Good advice!

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If you visit their stores in major cities, they are quite busy.