4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

List of UHDs that utilize 4K or Higher Masters - Blu-ray Forum

4K is just like any other format. Some are hits, others are misses. Sometimes the 4K is a marked improved over a really poor BD transfer of a great DVD and we end up like before with compromises. Other times like in the case of the Kubrick titles released so far we end up with the best editions hands down.

Check out Gladiator if you have not as yet. Avoid Terminator 2 at all costs. Watch T2 on VHS through a telescope while riding your bike up and down the street looking in your living room window. Better experience.

jamesc, hi_watt and SoCalWJS like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The 3D of T2 looks good to me and I think that’s the reason for the problems in the 4K. I suspect the transfer was done to be best in 3D with the 4K an afterthought. I’d imagine a lot of grain (I like grain btw) doesn’t look good in 3D so they stripped it. My guess anyway.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A little grain management is fine, but too much is bad.

"T2" can look good in a superficial way, and the disc has some real strengths, but the DNR and the altered colors make it a disc I'd avoid...

budwhite likes this.
  4. Phillip Walch

I agree. I saw it in 3D and I am not a fan of the format but I must admit I really was surprised how great it was on the big screen. 4K, hmmm not so wonderful.

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

First there was laser disc which progressed to dvd then short lived super bit 8? which I have one it's very clear
    Then Hd dvd and Blu ray funny how a lot blu rays end up at big lots and dollar tree...
    Now 4k they basically hit the wall now.. I feel it's the last ditch effort to save higher formats.
    All movies are filmed hd for awhile .. so what are we missing..?

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is "super bit 8"? In between DVD and HD-DVD/Blu-ray, we almost got some traction with D-Theater D-VHS - Wikipedia

7. Phillip Walch

What do you mean? On both points?

8. Phillip Walch

I must be out of the loop with that format. I know Super 8 Bit, the short lived video game format but not in the home video market.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

hi_watt and Phillip Walch like this.
  10. Phillip Walch

Oh yeah the Columbia high bitrate thing.

hi_watt and PH416156 like this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hat-tip to the marketing department at Columbia TriStar Home Video, because Superbit DVDs are definitely not a different format from any regular DVD.

:shtiphat:

CDV, hi_watt and mikeyt like this.
  12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Same format but taking advantage of a double layer DVD including the movie only, basic menus and no bonus features.

A Look at Superbit

I only have one superbit disc and it's "Dracula", and I liked it better than the regular and horrible early DVD.

There's a 25th anniversary edition that must be terrific. I haven't seen it, but I have the FHD Blu ray derived from its 4K master and it's great indeed.

So, since this is a 4K discs thread, fans of the film might consider purchasing it

Bram Stoker's Dracula - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Ultra HD Review | High Def Digest

13. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I had a few superbits where I could find them, did seem to be better from what I recall. I still have one (Gladiator or Fifth Element I think??) will have to dig it out and see how it looks nowadays.

14. Oatsdad

Superbit was a clever scam.

Back when DVD buyers clamored for lots of bonus features, Sony found a way to sell totally bare-bones discs... and convince fans they were better.

And some of them were, but that was more due to improved encoding and superior transfers.

Yes, a 2-hour movie on a DVD with zero extras will enjoy higher bitrate - and probably stronger quality - than the same movie on a DVD with an hour of extras, but there was no reason Sony couldn't have included a DVD with extras, too!

CDV, BrettyD, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  15. Oatsdad

"Gladiator" was a different studio - never was a Superbit of it.

There was one for "Fifth Element", though...

16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

3D looked great. I’m extremely happy with it and that matters more to me than 4K. I’m not planning on getting the 4K disc due to the understandable complaints. Did you see the 3D version?

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I bought a couple boxes of DVDs(110) the other day for 50 cents each. The Superbit Mask of Zorro looks/sounds good when up rezzed on my blu ray player. It had a bonus disc for extras

Al Kuenster likes this.
  18. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I had a look and found......Gladiator in Superbit :) The Fifth Element one I have was a special edition box not Superbit.
    Gladiator Superbit DVD Review

19. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Not sure I'd say it was a scam, I'm no expert but if bit rate was doubled as claimed on the packaging then it should allow for better quality, depends on lots of other things of course and I'm no expert. Point taken on no reason not to include extras on a separate disc but back then wasn't that reserved for special editions and seemed to become more of a thing when blu ray came about or am I mistaken? Anyway if it's clear what it is then not a scam as the buyer knows what they are getting, but maybe not such a great deal if they have to buy the normal release to get any extras.

Wes H likes this.
  20. MartyTem

MartyTem Forum Resident

This looks like a Region 2 (UK) release issued by Sony/Columbia. In the U.S., this title was released by Dreamworks as a 2-Disc Signature Edition. See Gladiator DVD Release Date November 21, 2000 . There are other U.S. editions but none appear to be classified as Superbit.

21. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Yes mine is R2, comes in a silver case with the artwork framed by the superbit logo/colour, has an insert with notes from the director and some marketing on other Superbit titles, seems less choice in there than I recall perhaps I didn't buy many after all as not a lot on that list I'd have purchased.
    I think the other thing with Superbit was all would have DTS which wasn't guaranteed at the time on DVD.

22. Oatsdad

Nope - it didn't have a US release and I wasn't interested enough to spring for an import!

23. Oatsdad

I stand corrected! Obviously the movie had a different distributor in the UK!

Well, we didn't have a Superbit "Gladiator" in the States! :)

24. Oatsdad

No - Superbit DVDs came out in the era when bonus material-laden DVDs were a big thing.

That's what made it a scam. DVD fans would get upset if DVDs didn't include bonus features and they'd complain about "barebones" discs.

So Sony found a way to sell them barebones discs and make it sound like it was special.

But there was nothing about "Superbit" that couldn't have been done with any other extras-free release. There was no "Superbit" process or whatever. Sony simply marketed it that way!

25. Oatsdad

Yeah, there were a couple Superbits that included the extra disc. The vast majority didn't, though...