4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Interesting, and on reading that review further in this case at least the reviewer confirms no discernible difference between it and other releases.

I guess we do have to be careful to see through the marketing, back to 4k's in my collection there are certainly some that I just don't see the point in them being done, but others are great - perhaps it's an excuse/reason to give some old films a good restore as the 4k market presents a return for doing the job. But the marketing thing to watch for is all of them proclaiming HDR in use when some reviews show this barely to be the case in some releases.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Serious fans having to own multiple copies of the same isn't unusual, even now. 4k Elephant Man disc from Europe plus the US Criterion blu. 4k Crash disc from Europe plus US Criterion blu. Stuff like Sweet Charity on Kino and UK Indicator having unique worthwhile bonus stuff.

Another annoying thing about some 4k disc releases are remastered blu rays of the same movie that are forced bundled and not available separately. If I want a nice blu-ray of Unforgiven I have to get the 4k package(twice what I want to pay in Canada) since the stand alone blu is the old HD master. This applies to a few other movies.

I haven't gone 4k for a couple reasons. Aside from $$ and gear upgrades, the big reason is there's still less than 20 movies or so I'd pay USD$25+ to buy. I've gone thru the blu-ray.com 4k disc list several times. I don't go for superhero/CGI stuff and classic movies are stuff I've seen to often to get excited. I refuse to stream. Boutique labels getting into Suspiria/Elephant Man/Crash is starting to get interesting for me. I'm still floored by deeper cut newly done 4k mastered blu-rays by Criterion/Kino/Warner and vote with my wallet in that direction.

supermd and Speedmaster like this.
  3. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

If you need a new TV what you gonna buy? 4k of course. 4k player is to follow or you already had one. 4k movies then will be no brainer.
    At least it's how it worked for me.
    I only like very few movies, and buy them when they are on sale. In Canada it's a challenge sometimes. The 4K I have are great, and as a bonus bluray movies shows much better on 4K gear.
    But if I didn't need a new TV I would not bother.

4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Worth it to me. I just got the Mad Max 4K and it is gorgeous. The regular Blu-ray is nothing to sneeze at, but I am glad I got the new reissue.

mj_patrick likes this.
  5. They may be using older masters but those that have been up scaled usually are because the film was not finished in 4K or are go(ng to be limited due to the format it was shot/finished in. Some projects are going to be forever trapped in a lower resolution and upscaling IS the only option.

6. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

That's fine, but they need to be *completely* open about what master they are using. If I own a movie on Blu-ray, why would I pay for a 4K copy if all they are doing is a slightly better upscale from what my TV and/or UHD player is already doing?

Scowl and PH416156 like this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some releases would be dead in the water with that info, and deservedly so. Online reviews have killed many project who try to use inferior masters or wonky color timing.

jbmcb likes this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Which is why I was stunned that my Spider-Man 2 Superbit had a bonus running commentary track with Tobie Maguire and J. K. Simmons that they did for a simulcast.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I understood the reason for the lack of video extras on Superbit titles, but there was no reason to omit commentaries.

Those take up very little space and wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever in terms of picture quality.

I continue to assert Superbit was a scam: a way Sony could sell you less for more $$$ and pretend they're doing you a favor...

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

FYI, Spartacus 4K disc can currently be had for 10 bucks on Amazon.

11. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

A great 4K title too.

jjhunsecker, alan967tiger and Manapua like this.
  12. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

They may very well be worth money in the future.

13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The challenge in the future will be finding any drives that can play/rip them. Probably wise to buy a couple spares if you are young.

14. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have over 75 4K UHD films on disc so far, I buy them not as an investment but to enjoy them.

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My biggest issue with streaming is lossy sound. I’ve been listening carefully since 1981. First on vinyl, then CD. Video sound distracted me with VHS via a linear Dolby Stereo VCR with an onboard stereo tuner. Then the big leap to laserdisc. Slightly better picture but lossless pcm stereo sound. Boy did that LD soundtrack distract me from a deficient picture. DVD was a disappointment to LD lovers. I was thrilled with lossless Blu-ray audio.

Why in the world would we accept compressed sound on streaming video?

Slightly off topic. I helped a friend buy a surround and projection system from a big box shop. I upgraded his system to 7.1 Atmos and I supplied the Paradigm timbre matched in wall, in ceiling, rear box, and powered subwoofers. Perfect sound but the big box upscaling Epson projection was horrible. They swapped out for a Sony 4K HDR and a light rejection screen.

Wow. We watched a $2 1080p Blu-ray rental of Tenet last week. Blacks are black. The Atmos receiver extracts overhead information from a 5.1 track. On a 120” screen sitting 14’ away, I don’t think Steve has to visit a theater again. The bar, dart board, pool table a powder room are steps away.

I gifted him my cheap Blu-ray library and two new 4K UHD titles. I’m looking forward to UHD Skyfall and Incredibles.

The downside, no audience community and his fiancé is an early bird who falls asleep when the lights are off.

hvbias and hi_watt like this.
  16. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I have over 30 4K UHD discs now. I would say that only half of them look significantly better than the Blu-rays and maybe six of them are so much better that I would qualify them and being a different experience than the Blu-rays.

There's a reason why so many films were mastered digitally in only 2K. That's the absolute best you could expect from a projected 35mm film print.

Aleksander86 likes this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

:agree: This started happening to me around a decade ago and is one of the reasons I stopped going to the movies. Lights out and I'm gonna have an expensive nap.

mdm08033 likes this.
  18. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

It's up to $17 now.

They're also selling a VHS tape of it for $17 so that'll be a hard decision.

Speedmaster likes this.
  19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

To the OP thread-opening question, I don't know. But the screenshots of the new Rollerball 4k restoration look mighty impressive: Rollerball 4K UHD - James Caan

It's hard to believe that a film released in 1975 looks impressive with a 4K restoration.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. I enjoy them? Are they worth investing in? No. That’s what the stock market, gold and 4o1k’s are for.

CDV and mdm08033 like this.
  21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why wouldn't a movie from 1975 look good? :confused:

CDV and Scowl like this.
  23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:bone:

24. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I have started buying movies on the format, if I do not already own it on Blu-ray. They usually always include a regular, 1080p Blu-ray and digital code with it anyway. I just don't think it's worth it to me to go back and re-buy everything again in 4K unless the 4K remaster is such an improvement over the original Blu-ray that it is warranted. I suspect at some point soon, studios will quit making 1080p Blu-ray discs and just stick with DVD, 4K Blu-ray and digital/streams.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I suspect that the studios will quit making 4K Blu-ray and just stick with Blu-Ray discs, digital streaming and DVDs. Sales of 4K discs and players are very small. Blu-ray has a much larger catalog that 4K will never, ever see.