4k Power Amp/Speakers Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ptrlhd, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptrlhd

ptrlhd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi guys

I'm going to be relocating my 2 channel system to another part of my living/dinning room area in my condo... The "listening area" will be about about 8'x18' with 10' ceiling, there is a 4' opening to the hallway next to where the speakers will be located on the right and rest of the whole open floor plan concept on the left.

So I'm looking for suggestions to audition (if available locally) for both a power amp and speakers (good for low-moderate listening volumes) that have good synergy with a Schiit Freya+ preamp. Sources will be TT/CD Transport/Streamer/DAC. I have a Rel T/7i sub that I can use as well, so I can go with bookshelf options for the speakers instead of floorstanding ones.

I was looking into maybe either Focal Aria or Sonus Faber Sonnetto lines for speakers. For the power amp, I was thinking of either the Schiit Aegir (as SS mono blocks) or Willesenton R8/Muzishare X7 as tube amp.

Music genres I listen to are all over the place, mostly though, Trip Hop/Downtempo (like Nightmares on Wax/Air/Zero 7), Jazz, Deep Funk Revival, Soul/Funk, Classic/70's Rock, little bit of Pop/Hip Hop/R&B.

I'm not sure if I should be considering bright/neutral speakers if I will go with a tube amp to match with the tube preamp as well or go towards warmer sounding speakers. I don't really need speakers that are too revealing or analytical. Looking for something that will give good imaging, soundstage and detail and non fatiguing

My total budget is around 4,000 for both amp and speakers. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Hello ptrlhd,

I do not know the amps your suggesting, but if you like a speaker with superbe soundstage and detail without being fatiguing You should audition Kef R 3 or R 300 used. Especially in offering a realistic soundstage and detail without over emphasizing the high frequenzy range they are hardly to be beaten.

Scratcha likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

REL is a fine brand, but an 8" cone can only move so much bass. And the Focal 906 didn't grab me too much, though the setup we heard that was crude. The 936 has a dedicated midrange so it's NOT the same sound as a 906. 936 is lovely, have a set in a 5.1 setup at another house (936, cc900, SR900), have played everything from Jimi Hendrix to Grieg to this cool item Harmen Fraanje Quartet Featuring Nelson Veras - Sonatala . 936 don't really need subs at all, though we added an SVS SB2000 Pro which added a nice dimension to the lows. Now a set of 936 used to be your whole budget, but I think they have come down now. The speakers will make far far FAR more difference to the sound than the amps. You could also do 926 I guess, or another fine spekaer at $2k is the Monitor Audio Silver 300s (not even live Motorhead fazed those things). Personally I'd rather get the great great best speaker with a used amp or whatever and save up over time.

I'd also note that since main speaker positioning is seldom felicitous for bass, and room treatments don't work at the lowest frequencies, room EQ is really something to think about. We were pretty startled when before/after bass sweeps showed Audyssey was really smoothening the bass response in that 5.1 setup. If you don't want room EQ in your main line, consider sub(s) with EQ built in.

4. ptrlhd

I was checking specs of the Focal 936 and it mentions the 50-300W of power. Looking at the tube amps I was considering, their power output is 45W per channel, has anybody tried tube amps with these speakers or the Sonus Faber?

5. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Forum Resident

If you're deciding between Focal and Sonus Faber, it shouldn't be too difficult. Chances are you probably won't like both: Focal is usually on the brighter side, while Sonus Faber is more musical/very easy to listen to. That's my personal experience and many reviewers are saying the same thing. Since you don't really need speakers that are too revealing or analytical, Focal is an easy pass. I like Sonus Faber speakers a lot and I dont like brighter speakers either.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. ptrlhd

Yup that's what I'm leaning towards too. Now got to decide between bookshelf (Sonetto II and 2 subs) or floor standing (Sonetto III) and what power amp is a good match for them

7. Shangri-La

Floorstanders all the way if you can..

8. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

936 will run fine with lower watt tube amp. I have a pair and run them with a Primaluna Prologue 5.

I think you can get these new for about $2400 from Upscale Audio or Music Direct if they still have them in stock.

9. ptrlhd

The Aria's are 8 Ohm speakers so tube amps won't have too much of an issue powering them I think. But the Sonetto's are 4 Ohm and I'm worried if they dip lower than that and will the tube amps be able to handle them.

10. ptrlhd

Has anyone tried the Schiit Aegir in monoblock with Sonus Faber speakers? The Aegir is rated at 80W but at 8 Ohm, the Sonus Faber speakers are rated at 4 Ohm, will they be capable of speakers with low impedance?

11. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I think that's called "live music." ;) You might consider Harbeths, which are good on the specfics you mention. I also really do like the Sonus Faber satellites with a good sub.

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

SFs all the way unless you’re not afraid to go DIY. The new Sonetto line is one of the best performance values in big brand speakers. It seems all these companies play leap frog against each other in this price bracket, and SF currently holds the crown IMO. Doesn’t hurt that they look nice too.

13. Shangri-La

I had auditioned the SF Venere S which I think is the predecessor of the Sonnetto line. I liked it so much that I almost bought a pair. And yeah SF speakers all look beautiful.

14. ptrlhd

I'm pretty much set on getting Sonus Faber speakers, just trying to find a good power amp to match them and the preamp. Problem is most tube amps aren't happy with low impedance speakers

15. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

It depends. I used to drive Magnaplanar 1.6 QR with Quicksilver Silver 60 monos and it sounded very good. I auditioned much more powerful SS amps on the speakers and still preferred those.

16. ptrlhd

The Sonus Faber are at 4 Ohm and require 50-250W, most of the tube amps are rated at 20-40W and that's usually at 8 Ohm. That's why I'm having a hard time looking for something that will match power wise and sonically with them

17. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

What is your budget for amp? Plenty of tube options with enough power.

18. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I’d recommend a valve preamp and a good SS amp with the Sonus. Many integrated have that in a one box design, so you don’t need separates. I wouldn’t go near a tube power amp in this price range, especially with Sonus.

Mad shadows likes this.
  19. ptrlhd

Budget is up to 1,500. I will be using the Schiit Freya+ preamp, so I'm just looking for a power amp that will match both the speakers and preamp. I've never tried tube amps, so that's why I'm tempted to try one over SS, but still open to both types of amps if it is a good fit.

20. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

At your budget I’d stick with solid state.

21. Shangri-La

A pair of Aegir in mono mode. Almost within your budget.

22. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

23. ptrlhd

That's what I'm thinking of going with, but I'm worried they might not be enough to power the speakers. They don't mention what is the power at 4 Ohm in mono

24. DanPDX

DanPDX Well-Known Member

Have you look at the Parasound A23+? That could be a good option for you to pair with the Schiit Freya. I'm considering that pairing now that my deal for a Hegel H-190 didn't work out.

Parasound A23+

Monty12 and bgiliberti like this.
  25. Shangri-La

You can always email them to ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.