$5.00 Bin At Walmart (1/26/12)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Yeah, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

As everybody here at the Steve Hoffman Forum knows, I work at Wal Mart. You should see what DOSEN'T make it into those $5.00 barrells. :laugh:

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd actually be sort of interested to know.

3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The $5 dollar bin at WalMart right now is full of titles from Warner Bros. Some of the discs are remasters, but many, like the ZZ Top records, are the original cds. Some good titles in there if don't already have them.

4. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

My last find there was the self-titled album by Dire Straits. Most of the selection seemed to consist of Blink 182, Britney Spears, Sublime, and random country artists. They have two sections at mine: one on a shelf (which is a lot easier to look through, but only a small selection) and then a large selection that's in a bin, so kind of a mess to sort through, maybe one day I'll go during the week when it's not so busy...

5. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Do tell!! :)

6. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I know it's not Changin' Times, but is that Curb comp considered a good source for "Wichita Lineman"?

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Glen Campbell Early Years Curb compilation is highly recommended. It sounds very natural without any compression or NR applied. I also recommend the Bellamy Brothers GH Vol 1 and Hank Williams Jr GH Vol 1 Cub compilations, also in the $5 dollar bin.

8. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Walmart has their $5 bin AND Hastings has their $3.99 bin. Both are decent scavenger locates for me.
    I recently picked up Mott The Hoople's All The Young Dudes and two Dylan titles for $3.99 each.
    Today I will be ABXing my Walmart James Taylor find with my AF version of the same title that is due to come in today! Mud Slide Slim. I'll post my findings later this afternoon.

9. driverdrummer

Those early Warner cd pressings sound good! Full of tape hiss and great sounding even at top volume.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes

11. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Thanks to you and driverdrummer. :righton: buying it tonight.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Curb Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Greatest Hits" comp is also worthwhile.

13. Col Kepper

The Cars debut in HDCD is in the $5 bin at Walmart.

14. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

So this bin may contain many unremastered titles? I looked at a few on the top layer and saw 1999 and newer copyright dates. Perhaps I need to revive the old collecting mode and go deeper. In my day I dug with the best of 'em, believe me.

15. driverdrummer

Some of the remasters sound really good Foreigner 4 is one in the bin

16. Col Kepper

I've been tempted to get those Rhino Foreigner titles, but my lone Rhino Yes title put a bad taste in my mouth for remasters from that label.... even though I do enjoy the Chicago remasters.

17. ElevatorSkyMovie

Yes, it's a mix.

The ZZ Top cds I saw (3 or 4 albums, can't remember now) were all the original cds. Some of the other titles were the remastered versions, such as the Van Halen titles.

18. driverdrummer

Warren Zevon-Excitable Boy, Classic Yes, Bad Company 10 from 6

19. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

I went back today and looked further, I picked up the Classic Yes as well, along with a 10 track Association disc.

20. ElevatorSkyMovie

Classic Yes is the Gastwirt Remaster. I was about to run off with it thinking it was Barry's version, until I looked at the back.

21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Got billy Joel, Linda ronstadt, America, Jim Croce, and joe cocker from the bins. They have John Mellencamp remasters and Madonna remasters too.

22. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

HMV in Canada has a fair amount of $5 items, including some Canadian/European Sony/Camden best ofs for Santana, the Bangles, Mott the Hoople and many others. I got Kiss's debut for $5, but they also have Destroyer and Lick It Up for that price.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Those Chicago remasters are terrible. They rank as some of the worse sounding CDs ever made.

24. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

There's also a $7 bin at Walmart, does anyone else have one? These are stacked nicely in a cardboard bin instead of tossed higgledy piggledy into a metal bin. Both of my CDs had damaged jewel cases. I didn't buy anything from the $7 bin because $7 is TOO DAMN HIGH. :D

25. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Which Yes album?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.