5,000 Record reviews at your fingertips...

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Jazzis, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I invite all SHF members to visit my site called "The Soundtrack of my Life"

http://www.adambaruch.com/

It presents almost 5,000 record reviews of Jazz ,Progressive Rock and Rock albums which I wrote over the years and published on various music sites (and magazines earlier). All the reviews are full of links (Wiki style) which enable you to search other releases by the same artists / title / label / or any other text keyword.

The site also includes a list of books about music, a searchable list of my private record collection with over 20,000 items and other goodies.

My site has had almost 3,5 Million visitors since it was launched not so long time ago.

The site is completely free to use and is non-commercial = no advertisements, no links to buy anything, etc.

Enjoy :love:

dAlost, tmtomh, shaboo and 14 others like this.
  2. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Thanks. Very cool.

jerol

3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Tks a lot

4. The lack of Amazon links are a refreshing change from most web content these days.

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Thanks!!

6. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

Cool! Two minutes into it and there's already something that piqued my interest: Bandhada, early 80s Chilean jazz-rock :goodie:

7. Jazzis

Thanks all, please share, like, etc.

It is a lifetime of music....:wave:

8. cathare34

cathare34 Forum Resident

Thanx will be great to discover new gems.....:edthumbs:

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Would you mind writing a review on this site? It would be very important to me. Could you do a review of King Crimson In The Court Of The Crimson King from 1969? I want to show how important this album is and the first fully developed progressive album from England where Progressive was invented. Thank You. Great site you have!

10. Jazzis

http://www.adambaruch.com/reviews_item.asp?item=102392

It's there already - all you needed to do is enter "King Crimson" in the search field and you see many of their albums reviewed ;)

11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Nice one. Congrats on the effort.

12. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

That's not really a review...you don't talk about the songs at all.

I looked at your site the other day when you first posted this, but could not really figure out how to navigate the site. I guess one must search by artist. But just browsing, all I found were foreign albums I wouldn't be interested in listening to...

Trying...but not getting it...

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Okay, found some USA albums and it's the same thing. No discussion of the actual music. You present facts about the band/musicians and the recording but nowhere is there discussion of the music/songs.

Tell me what part of this is a review...? :

Allman BrothersFind albums by this artist and the first release following Duane AllmanFind albums by this artist`s tragic death. Originally released as a double LP, it contains 4 different sessions: studio recordings completed while Duane was still alive, studio recordings completed by the band without Duane, live recordings at the Fillmore East, recorded in March 1971 and included also on the Deluxe edition of the Fillmore East album and finally live recordings at Fillmore East, recorded in June 1971, which was Duane’s last live recording. In retrospect it is a magnificent album, full of brilliant performances and vital energy with a drop of bitter sadness of course. This is classic stuff, which deserves a permanent position in any decent music library. The new exquisite edition includes the entire June 1971 Fillmore East concert, released here for the first time. As the Allmans were first a foremost a live band, this new material is, as usual, a gold mine of musical thrills. Essential!
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Saying "this is classic stuff" is not a review and tells me nothing helpful.

J.A.W. likes this.
  14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Sorry to be a drag but you asked...

:shrug:

15. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I've bookmarked it. Some of your reviews at rateyourmusic have led me to some excellent British jazz.

16. Jazzis

Well the navigation is trivial - you can search by genre / country / artists / title / label / any text ? that's not good enough?

As to reviews - any review that talks about specific songs is not a review, sorry. I've been writing reviews for 50 years now and many consider me as one of the best out there...

Also all reviews include Wiki style click-able links that can take from one review to another.

Most of the people tend to think of my site as very user friendly and informative?

17. Jazzis

There are thousands of American albums on my site. When I call something classic it is a classic ;)

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nice site.

19. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Huh? I don't understand? You don't discuss the music...how is it a review?

TLMusic and J.A.W. like this.
  20. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

That's puzzling.

21. Jazzis

"Foreign" to you - The US is NOT the center of the world, contrary to common belief, it does not produce most of the music released and certainly not the best music out there, so "Foreign" is a compliment ;)

bluesbro likes this.
  22. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Oh, okay...; so just because you say so? Without stating why...

Okay, now I'm starting to understand...

:rolleyes:

23. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I realize that. But do you get a lot of requests for more non-reviews of those smoking hot Polish jazz records?

mogwai rave likes this.
  24. Jazzis

I'll be perfectly happy to discuss what a review is and what it isn't...

Talking about specific songs is definitely too detailed for most readers and does not focus on what the album is all about, its historical background, its stylistic affiliation and its importance.

But of course anyone can have their own ideas on the subject.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  25. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

If someone could point me to a review where he actually discusses the music I would love to read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.