5 Zappa Titles on HDtracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 26, 2021.

1. NOForker

NOForker Forum Resident

Where is that link?!

2. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

3. neil

neil Senior Member

Nothing listed on the Qobuz French site.

4. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

This is gonna be a great batch.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

They're all active on Qobuz in France right now ! :)
    (We're friday ;) )

Listening to Greggary Peccary in 24/192 right now :D
    It's great !!!!

ChristopherTeuma and Hammer70 like this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I would definitely buy a newly remastered hi-res Ruben And The Jets if it used the original mix, as I think Greasy Love Songs is one of the worst-mastered CDs in history. Someone told me the original LP didn't sound significantly different, just with more dynamic range - is that true? I find that really hard to believe. Every time the kick drum hits, the rest of the music disappears. I'd love a remaster that doesn't try to make the '50s music parody album sound like a 2011 club banger!

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...

Well, there's 5 titles I need, like, now.

boboquisp and Veovis like this.
  8. NOForker

NOForker Forum Resident

I think Joe and Ahmet mentioned in the YouTube live video with Qobuz that there will be 29 titles released in Hi-Res. With the latest 5, that makes 20. What will the last 9 be??!

9. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

Gotta be the outstanding 2012 DSD transfers, so Waka/Jawaka, Grand Wazoo, Tinseltown, SUPYG, YAWYI, Sleep Dirt and Them Or Us. Maybe one of the Halloween sets and the Roxy box?

Listening to Hot Rats and yeah, a slight but noticeable improvement on the CD.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  10. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Thing Fish?

ChristopherTeuma and Uncle_Meat like this.
  11. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

No the best Marx brother was Gummo obviously.

Derek Gee likes this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Any and all reports on this new hi-res Just Another Band From L.A. much appreciated, especially comparisons with the 2012 CD.

13. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

"now"?

how could you possibly wait so long?

;)

gd0 likes this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Am I really going to buy Hot Rats again...

...yes. :)

boboquisp and danner like this.
  15. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

hmmm... seems that there are numerous barbed invocations of "stupidity" in this thread, presented with a somewhat common 'tood...

perhaps they can be put to bed by recalling a Salient Universal Pronouncement made by Some Guy Who We All Like:

"Stupidity has a certain charm.

Ignorance does not."

Uncle_Meat likes this.
  16. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I'm listening to Buffalo for the first time - I like it! This review is in Qobuz. What are your thoughts?

Following in the footsteps of the Grateful Dead and other vintage artists, the Zappa Family Trust has begun to issue archival live recordings by Frank Zappa through its website, www.zappa.com. Buffalo is a two-hour-and-20-minute, two-CD set chronicling Zappa's appearance at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York, on October 25, 1980. At that time, the 39-year-old composer/guitarist/singer had assembled a particularly adept band including "stunt" guitarist Steve Vai and virtuoso drummer Vinnie Colaiuta and, freed from record company restrictions, was preparing a lot of new material for his new Barking Pumpkin Records label. The concert reflects that, looking forward to the upcoming Tinseltown Rebellion live album to be issued in May 1981 by presenting the title song, "Pick Me, I'm Clean," and "Easy Meat." You Are What You Is, Zappa's second double LP of 1981, was anticipated by the inclusion of its title song, "Mudd Club," and "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing." And there was even an improvisation, "Buffalo Drowning Witch," that presaged the 1982 album Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. When Zappa wasn't introducing new material, he was, for the most part, reprising recent songs such as "City of Tiny Lites," "Broken Hearts Are for Assholes," "I'm So Cute," "Dancing Fool," and "Bobby Brown" from Sheik Yerbouti, "Joe's Garage" from Joe's Garage, Act I, and "Keep It Greasy" and "Stick It Out" from Joe's Garage, Acts II & III, all released in 1979, and his 1980 one-off single, "I Don't Wanna Get Drafted." Only "Ain't Got No Heart" (also to be featured on Tinseltown Rebellion) dated from the '60s. The technical abilities of Zappa's band allowed for the rhythmic complexity and sudden shifts from one song to another in which he delighted, as the group suddenly changed from rapid-fire improvisatory playing to subtle vamping behind one of his comic monologues. The Buffalo show was not one of Zappa's great performances; in fact, his repeated stumbling on the lyrics to "Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me?" might have condemned it to remain in the vaults. But it was a good one, and representative one of the 1980 tour, which should make it valuable to Zappa fans, particularly because it provides a true audio record of a full performance without the kinds of edits and overdubs Zappa was wont to employ on the live recordings he issued during his lifetime.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

MOTHER MARY N' JOZUF!

Inca Roads sounds amazing!!!
    I can feel Tom Fowler (when is hand is not broken).

Bought OSFA and '. Man I will be diggin' these (while they are happening and otherwise).

rlp likes this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Oh, and then I went right to Forz/' and I'm still very blown away.

I've yet to listen to Joe's on the laptop set up, but one day...when I have a few hours I will digest the entire thing.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think the review originally was on Allmusic. Not sure that I agree that messing up the lyrics on one song makes it "not a great performance" but otherwise it's a decent overview.

thnkgreen likes this.
  20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Been listening to these as they have been released through my Esoteric stack and several of them are game changers. Burnt Weeny Sandwich is the best compared to every other version I’ve ever heard by a wide margin.

SlimLee likes this.
  21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Got Just Another Band (2nd favorite F&E), because I never did get a 2012 remaster.

Also got Studio Tan, because, Studio Tan.... ah, RDNZL.

24/192. These really do leave nothing to be desired. Will probably get more than intended over time.

Debtors prison, here I come.

dlokazip, boboquisp and danner like this.
  22. NOForker

NOForker Forum Resident

My guess on the last one would be Mothermania. According to the liner notes, it was a 96/24 transfer.

I'd still love to get Uncle Meat (or Meat Light), Läther, Halloween 73, Crusin' (or Greasy Love Songs), Freak Out (or MOFO) and ESPECIALLY Lumpy Gravy from the Master Safety Copy like the recent vinyl and Roxy from the original master like the recent vinyl!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Oh what the heck I want it all (maybe even Thing Fish).

yeah now I know Im definitely crazy

NOForker likes this.
  24. NOForker

NOForker Forum Resident

I want anything that would be appropriate for Hi-Res. I've been looking at some of the recent (well somewhat recent) releases. There is a mix of analog masters and 1610/1630 digital masters on the same release. On a CD, it doesn't matter so much. For Hi-Res, it would be a mix of 192/24, 96/24 or 44.1/16 tracks in one release. While, I wouldn't mind that, as that would be the best possible version for each track…I doubt the ZFT or UMG would want to release them that way. Who knows, though?

Finer Moments would be another for my wish list! Halloween 77 was released at 44.1/24 on the "Oh! Punky" USB stick with the mask. A 96/24 of that one may be available. Little Dots/Imaginary Diseases/Wazoo, yeah, my wish list is long. LOL!

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Right. The stuff that's applicable. Presumably the non-Postumous releases that were mastered for the Universal releases.

NOForker likes this.