5 Zappa Titles on HDtracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 26, 2021.

1. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Ah, I use plex in dedicated mode on my windows computer to feed the DAC over HDMI. Plex seems to do a good job with the stereo flac unpacking. However, it does weird stuff with surround sometimes. I have to reset my audio interface on my computer once in awhile to get it to output surround. And yes, I am in dedicated mode from the player :)

2. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Glad that you got things resolved. Disclaimer: I use Winamp too to play my files, if I’m just quickly checking out one of my files (other than DSF (SACD) files). But I’m curious: do you maintain your hi-rez downloads in a library type program? I use JRiver, which plays just about any digital file I throw at it, with a bit-perfect output. It allows me to instantaneously access any of my almost 50,000 current files (still have lots to add). It cost me about about 30 bucks. After first reading your post, I literally checked in seconds to see if the “missing” part was there.

My point is that if you’re investing money into these files, why not store and play them back with something half-decent (Winamp is a nice free option … but it’s free for a reason … it’s a very basic player). Maybe I’m just anal about it because I’ve pretty much abandoned buying new physical media, and if I’m going full digital, I need to have reliable hardware (my main system streamer and two hi-rez portables), and software (a database) to access it. And of course, full backups on decent portable hard drives. I guess whatever works for people.

3. Thanks for the reply! I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd like to answer. I've got lots of redbook CDs, but I've ripped very few (I play the disks). I have about 3.5TB of FLAC files, the vast majority of which are live concert recordings (IE: bootlegs, ROIOs, not commercially available). The meta-data on these files is usually missing, and what's there can be worse than nothing, so I'm not really a candidate for a music library program. Hi-res commercial recordings are kind of an afterthought, but I'm getting more interested as better versions of my most favorite recordings become available. Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Hammer70 likes this.
  4. Strictly 2-channel for me, and as I just mentioned, I don't need library management. But I do want "bit-perfect" via USB to my DAC, so I'll be investigating new streaming software, and possibly hardware, to achieve that. Thanks for the reply.

5. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

This is weird. I've just played it on my usual Colibri player on my MacBook and the ending is missing, so I tried it on Quicktime and...it's there!
    So this appears a quirk with some players, yet this is the only track that it has happened on. Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Update: Just fiddled with a setting on Colibri and played the track again, and guess what? The ending is there!
    Thanks again to everybody for their assistance. :edthumbs:

dh_carquinez likes this.
  7. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

No problem with your reply, and you stated clearly why one probably wouldn’t need a library management program. Fixing metadata is a real pain, you likely can’t draw it all from a web source - so I’d be exactly like you!

I have a number of boots (probably close to 1000 CD-R’s from 2004 onwards when everyone started uploading their boots) that I’ll have to decide what to rip. Most will likely remain on CD-R.

8. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Hi Joe, When are the final titles due for release? Thanks.

porter_esq and Hammer70 like this.
  9. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

There's also still a "bit problem" with the 24/192 Apostrophe and Joe's Garage at HDtracks. There are empty bits, the files are essentially 17 bits or so. See the discussion a few pages back, which started after Highresaudio.com had reported the problem with the 24/192 version of Studio Tan as an example.

Just redownloaded a few tracks of JG and Apostrophe from HDtracks and the problem is still there according to MusicScope. All other albums are fine (bought from Qobuz and/or HDtracks). Others have reported that the 24/192 Joe's Garage and Apostrophe from Prostudiomasters and Qobuz are ok.

The problem seems to be only with the 192 kHz versions (and only files sent to HDtracks and Highresaudio?).

Would be great if you could send the correct files to HDtracks so we who have the faulty ones can redownload before that option expires.

jocke1234, lwh1 and oopap like this.
  10. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

Are we done?
    Is there more HD albums coming?

11. neil

neil Senior Member

The reissues just stopped.

12. porter_esq

porter_esq Forum Resident

It’s a shame this campaign just fell off the map. Had very much been looking forward to Fillmore 1971 for this weekend, and Roxy, MOFO, Lumpy Gravy, and Meat Light, among others.

13. threeheadedmonkey

threeheadedmonkey Forum Resident

Neil, are you kidding? Ich bin maroon!

14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

to be fair, it’s been a bit of a mess

15. threeheadedmonkey

threeheadedmonkey Forum Resident

Sure, but how hard can it be? Just fix the files and keep going!

jocke1234 likes this.
  16. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

No response from the Vaultmeister.
    STILL waiting for 'Waka/Jawaka' and 'The Grand Wazoo'
    Where are they? :waiting:

vivresavie and jocke1234 like this.
  17. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Love these HiRes releases, however I have two minor complains:

First: the digital booklet of Joe's Garage doesn't include the libretto. I usually don't care too much whether lyrics are included or not (it's always nice though), but in case of Joe's Garage it's incomprehensible.
    Kind of a missed opportunity to have the libretto in purty pdf quality.

My second complain is a bit more severe:
    On the 24/96 HiRes release of Orchestral Favorites 40, Frank's spoken introductions and explanations on Disc 2 and 3 are 4-8 dB quieter compared to the 3CD release, whereas the music tracks share the same volume levels on both releases.
    So if I set the volume that I can hear Frank loud and clear at the beginning of the bonus tracks, the music on the following track is just blasting out of the speakers.
    The overall volume level is much better adjusted on the CDs.

I know... high level complains, but it still annoys a bit to now apply replay gain on the specific spoken tracks to balance out the whole concert and not to sit there like the Maxell man as soon as the music starts.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  18. Interesting. I haven't heard the HiRes release. But I always thought the introductions are too loud on the CDs compared to the music. I would think the electric orchstra would be louder the spoken introductions in reality.

19. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

20. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

21. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

More beaffy dissonant lol

i like it like the Zappas, it is tiny to my hears, but love more low end and mid in the sound and more general spaceyness.
    i was working at the same time designing a newspaper... could get on your nerves if not concentrate to it :)

One that i know better and always play for sound test is Over-nite, was not sure at the beginning
    because that bass and mid were more much fuller, was not use that that sound :)

Uncle_Meat and surfling like this.
  22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The radio silence makes me wonder if there really is an issue with the files, audible or not, and ZFT is reviewing the whole batch, including time-consuming listening tests.

I'm happy with the several titles I have, but if there is a micro-detail audible issue that only industry pros can hear, my input doesn't mean much. But I still want the end-game files I paid for. Maybe I have them.

Or...

The delay could be something entirely unrelated to files.

o_O

23. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

In the Music Software new version of Audirvana 'Studio',
    you can now analyze your songs with the graphic Track Frequency Response

So, i have checked all my Zappa HD 24/96 and 24/192... they all passed this test...
    not have the knowledge to understand those curves, don't ask :)
    but would love some easy understanding by others who might have that knowledge...
    here are the picts i took of all the Zappa and .zip them to not crowded this thread with pictures...
    Dropbox - ZappaConfirmedHD.zip - Simplify your life

But, here are the same test with the new Gentle Giant Free Hand just released in 24/96 by Wilson... not passed...
    A big classic file at 24/352, not passed and a Fly by Night by Rush... passed at 24/96 but not passed at 24/192

At least all my Zappa have passed.
    So, i don't know what to think about HD now... or Is Audirvana Studio missing something, i don't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I don't have Audirvana Studio (not a fan of the new subscription model), but from the name of the tool @RunHomeSlow is using I'd think it's purpose is to uncover upsampled music files (being sold as hi-res although the original file has, for example, a 44.1 redbook sample rate).

The problem with some of the new Zappas is not with the sample rates being wrong or the original files being of low sample rates. It's about 6 or 7 practically empty bits, making them essentially 17/192 or 18/192 files (instead of the 24/192 they are sold as). Uncovered by the MusicScope bit monitor tool.

Just tried again to redownload a track from Apostrophe in 24/192 from HDtracks and the problem is still there. For testing I downloaded the same track in 24/192 that is said to come from ProStudioMasters and it doesn't have the problem. All 24 bits are there.

It's a mess and I'm really surprised the Zappa folks don't seem to bother to clear it up. I don't like the idea to have to download the faulty albums via torrents instead of being able to redownload corrected files from where I've legally obtained them. But that is what I'll do soon.

Anthrax likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Anual bump of this important thread.

Why not?

Shvartze Shabbos and Uncle_Meat like this.