5 Zappa Titles on HDtracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 26, 2021.

1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Well, I'm skeptical, but I gotta try one, I guess.

I've certainly heard improvements going from redbook to 24/96 to 24/192. But those differences are typically tiny in this house. And I'm not inclined to chase down 1% improvements.

Hope the Vaultmeister checks in, with some clarification.

Zongadude likes this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Oof, a bit expensive. I'm not going to dip my bread in until I get a better idea of what's what. Hopefully Mr. T will pop in soon and tell us...what's the deal?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. So in order to listen to these on my stereo system, I would need to download the 24/192 version and burn it onto a dual-layer DVD or single-layer DVD and listen to it that way in my blu-ray player? Is that how that works? I'd probably start with Zoot Allures and then see if it blows me away. If so, I'd go for the Apostrophe.

4. art

art Senior Member

Yeah, Joe's Garage sounds damn incredible. I got the 24/192 and the resolution adds so much more space and detail. Average DR of 13. So nice

Veovis and rlp like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I wouldnt be surprised if they were merely upsamples from the 2012 Universal masters.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That depends on the capabilities of the rest of your equipment. If your Blu-Ray player or another device with a DAC in it has a digital input you can play files directly from a computer or network-attached storage.

If you go the DVD-R route, you will need an authoring package with an MLP encoder to get stereo 24/192 to work!

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They have hi-res masters so there is no need to upsample anything.

ChristopherTeuma, oopap and art like this.
  8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

They're right about Joe's Garage, comparing the 2012 cd versions to the HDTracks, it seems the 2012 version is slightly more compressed/limited.

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Then why not put everything out there?

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And again and again. I have original Zappa Records vinyl of both Joes and the ‘95 Rykos. A Discreet Apostrophe and the 2012 UMe etc. now Im temped to get all these as well.

danner likes this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not to flood the market?

That's a question for Ahmet, but there are hi-res masters for all the re-mastered titles done by Sax and Ludwig for the 2012 re-issues.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  12. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

They're all identical to the 2012 remasters and sound excellent.
    But there's nothing to gain by buying these over the 2012 cds.

BrentB likes this.
  13. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Any one else purchased and listened to the Zoot Allures title?

14. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

LOL, 'it sounds like you're used to it.'

danner likes this.
  15. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Easiest if you have a computer based system, like a PC with player software and a USB Dac or server software and a network music streamer. I haven't had a disc based music player for 10 years. Just download, fix the tags to my liking and put the albums on the hard drive connected to the system.

16. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

With loudness calibration, a full sounding DR13 recording would in fact playback louder than whatever i played before or after. Sorry if my first impression above was taken as gospel. I know how you like to do that. Sic.

Im disappointed that AmazonHD seems to be stuck partially rolled out. I thought it was a timing thing yesterday AM....now, I imagine its a glitch.

17. danner

danner Forum Resident

I remember when the 2012 reissues started rolling out, I thought, “Oh, there’s no way I’m buying these again.” Within a year, I’d bought all of the essential remasters. I’ve since bought almost all of the vinyl reissues to sit next to my originals.

Let’s face it. I clearly hate having money in my bank account.

18. ILovethebassclarinet

LOL, 'like money is going to playback on a TT or in a player to begin with. Priorities, man!'

Instant Dharma and danner like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Zappa is the best cult ever and he never told anyone to storm the capital...whooops. ;)

At least he doesn't release something then two weeks later offer a special deluxe edition and 5 different cds with different bonus tracks on.

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Maybe I should just have a separate (heavenly) bank account named “Zappa”.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  21. ILovethebassclarinet

That's where Frank is?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  22. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

This is a ridiculous statement. They ARE the same masters, but higher up the chain. Detailed provenance in the PDFs, all this batch are analogue tape archived to DSD by Gus Skinas then mastered to 24-192 PCM by Bob Ludwig (except JG which is Doug Sax, R.I.P)

They sound sublime...

23. Patrick Cleasby

Both Ahmet and Joe(@Vaultmeister) are doing a Qobuz Live on this with Dan and David from da Q next Thursday. I recommend y'all listen, more great news incoming...

24. Patrick Cleasby

You don't like increased resolution then? ;-)

25. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I might Chunga's Revenge since its one of the few I don't have. But CD quality at Qobuz, no need for Hi-res version.