5 Zappa Titles on HDtracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Yup, I could. Although there are different algorithms to use when dithering the bits, which is in theory a more complex process than downsampling.

Again, I'm not saying there is a night & day difference, just possible factors that can explain a difference in SQ apart from the higher resolution and sample rate themselves. And these factors are enough for me to choose the hi-res when there's the option.

2. Have send you a PM/started a conversation.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

There's no such thing as "dithering the bits" dithering is added (tiny amount of) noise, and it's not complex at all.
    The only "complex" thing about it is choosing the right amount and "type" of noise to be added - which is again meaningless in a musical style like Zappa's which is mostly quite loud and in this specific mastering which is also quite loud.

Thinman likes this.
  4. I have heard of product presentations where they simply played the demo 1-2 dB louder to create the illusion that certain devices sound better.

5. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

If they're 24/192 high-res PCM downloads. I'd say they're new remasters not the 2012 DSD CD remasters.
    AFAIK they would be 176 kHz if converted from DSD.. I may be wrong
    Regardless great news. hope this is just the beginning.:thumbsup:

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You can sample rate convert DSD to any PCM sample frequency.

The PDFs which come with the downloads confirm that they are derived from the 2012 DSD transfers.

QQQ, wrat, sound_mind and 2 others like this.
  7. kata'tonic

kata'tonic Active Member

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The days of integer conversion are long gone. For better or worse, 24/96 and 24/192 are the accepted resolutions rather than 24/88.2 and 24/176.4.

9. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

When did this shift happen? I still see 88.2kHz conversions of SACD's and even in most of my library there are 88.2 rips

10. Dan Mackta

Dan Mackta Well-Known Member

Qobuz, UMe and Zappa Records to Offer Iconic Frank Zappa Albums in Hi-Res for the First Time - The Absolute Sound

Qobuz, the music lovers’ Hi-Res streaming and download provider, has partnered with UMe and Zappa Records to provide dozens of Frank Zappa albums for the first time in Hi-Res Audio.

UMe, the global catalog company of Universal Music Group, and Zappa Records are launching today a Hi-Res reissue campaign on Qobuz totaling 29 albums spanning all phases of Zappa’s groundbreaking career. The five-week campaign will span a series of drops between now and May 7th, with classic and influential albums released for download and streaming in Hi-Res audio quality for the first time.

Ahmet Zappa, representing Zappa Records, said, “Qobuz’s awesome combo platter of Hi-Res Audio and the ability for fans to immerse themselves into the album art of their favorite musicians is an incredible listening experience and a perfect fit for Zappa Records. As far as I’m concerned, the ‘z’ in Qobuz stands for Zappa and we know fans of the ‘World’s Finest Optional Entertainment’ are going to love the Zappa Qobuz experience. As FZ said: ‘Music is the Best!’”

“Frank Zappa was passionate about making his music sound as good as possible and we are excited to continue that legacy by releasing several of his albums in Hi-Res Audio with Qobuz,” said Bruce Resnikoff, President & CEO of UMe. “Fans on Qobuz can experience Frank’s genius in the way he would have wanted his music to sound.”

Beginning April 2, fans will be able to stream and download nine albums exclusively on Qobuz. The albums will be available in native 24-bit Hi-Res FLAC format. Each will include an extensive PDF digital booklet, a feature only available on Qobuz’s streaming apps. The assortment includes the second album from the original Mothers of Invention, Absolutely Free, first released in 1967, and Halloween 81, documenting Zappa’s famed holiday residency at New York City’s Palladium, in both full box set and edited ‘highlights’ versions.

On April 1, Ahmet Zappa and Joe Travers, the Zappa “Vaultmeister,” will join Qobuz Chief Hi-Res Evangelist, David Solomon, and the Qobuz team for a livestream discussion. This upcoming event is part of Qobuz’s weekly Qobuz Live series that features hot topics, brands and personalities in the music-lover and audiophile worlds. The livestream will cover the story of Zappa Hi-Res archives, the importance of audio quality, and the upcoming Zappa Hi-Res catalog releases. Additionally, Travers is curating an exclusive annotated Zappa playlist for Qobuz, which will be released later in April.

According to Qobuz USA Managing Director Dan Mackta, “Presenting the work of iconic artists in the best possible quality is our reason for existence. Frank Zappa’s music continues to inspire listeners all over the world and Qobuz is honored to be able to promote his artistic vision.”

See the list of Hi-Res Frank Zappa albums to be released exclusively on Qobuz April 2, and listen to Frank Zappa on Qobuz HERE.

Absolutely Free
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Bongo Fury
    Chicago ’78
    Zappa In New York (40th Anniversary Deluxe)
    Orchestral Favorites (40th Anniversary)
    Halloween 81
    Halloween 81 Highlights
    The Mothers 1970 Box Set

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

When the sample rate conversion algorithms and computer horse-power was such that there was no audio difference. With 64-bit processing these days, the errors are minute.

12. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

Very excited for AF, BWS, and BF. Might check out the others if they make it to Tidal as masters.

13. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

So basically all albums redone in 2012 and some, maybe all, the recent AZ-led reissues. Would sure like a digital version of the Lumpy Gravy safety they used for the LP reissue, tho. And hi-res Meat Light...

I remember Joe saying (was it the podcast?) that the original Freak Out! master was acetate tape and the years had not been kind to it, with a recent attempt to capture it not being successful. Also guessing that FZ completed all the post-1984 albums in 16 bit PCM and no "final" analog copies exist.

QQQ likes this.
  14. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

So we've got a total of 29 albums being released in hi-res up until May 7th.

Round One was:
    Apostrophe
    Chunga's Revenge
    Joe's Garage
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Weasel's Ripped My Flesh
    Zoot Allures

Round Two is:
    Absolutely Free
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Bongo Fury
    Chicago ’78
    Zappa In New York (40th Anniversary Deluxe)
    Orchestral Favorites (40th Anniversary)
    Halloween 81
    Halloween 81 Highlights
    The Mothers 1970 Box Set

That accounts for fifteen releases (or fourteen, if you think they would consider the variations of Halloween 81 as a single release).

Anyone have any thoughts on what the last 14-15 releases might consist of? What are we hoping for?
    Personally, the original Mothers run would be great, original mixes where possible (ie. give me Meat Light over the 2012 Uncle Meat release). The Roxy-band also seems essential with Over-Nite, Roxy and Elsewhere, and One Size. And Hot Rats of course!

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The easiest will be the remainder of the 2012 remastered titles, which were:

Absolutely Free
    Hot Rats
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Chunga's Revenge
    Fillmore East, 1971
    Just Another Band From LA
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Over-Nite Sensation
    Apostrophe
    One Size Fits All
    Bongo Fury
    Zoot Allures
    Studio Tan
    Sleep Dirt
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Joe's Garage
    Tinsel-town Rebellion
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
    You Are What You Is
    Them or Us

16. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Here's the live stream discussion about upcoming HD releases.

Interestingly, when asked what they were working on this year, Ahmet alluded to the fact that there's an extensive 200 Motels reissue in the pipeline.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Definitely
    Roxy and One Size
    Waka and Wazoo

YAWYI only if its properly speed corrected.

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

All these titles being name-checked, but no mention of the original Roxy & Elsewhere.

Does anyone know if it actually received the 2012 remastering treatment? Such a thing has never shown up digitally for sure, and I don't know the provenance of the most recent vinyl release.

The Roxy box is definitive, but I'm equally married to the original with all the overdubs, not to mention the original mix of Cheepnis. Anybody know anything anyway?

:confused:

dlokazip likes this.
  19. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

yes, going by what Travers said in the above qobuz discussion on you tube
    even though the analog tapes were transferred to DSD
    These releases are drawn from the high-res PCM masters (made either by Ludwig, Sax or Grundman) sourced from the DSD files
    Anything high res = audiophile
    more than anything else, audiophiles want to know the mastering details LOL

20. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

At least a few years back this forum was mostly populated by people who are just as interested in music production/reproduction as in the music itself. So why the LOL?

On topic: I find it strange that they don't release these as DSD files instead of hi-res PCM. If I interpreted what Joe Travers said on that qobuz live correctly DSD-files were sent to the three mastering engineers and mastered in that format before converted into PCM. If so it would be logical (and with a higher potential for the stuff to sound different than the 2012 CD:s) to release the albums in DSD. Surely 99 percent of people buying hi-res files on Qobuz, HDTracks etc. have a DAC that handles DSD64.

Gardo, Kyhl, Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  21. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Just cranking’ up the new Absolutely Free. GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! There is definitely some low end that I’d never experienced before. This takes on the sphere of a ‘new’ listening experience.

22. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

I see there's more

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

With so many R-2R and NOS DAC enthusiasts, maybe these companies see more value in offering just PCM?

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Me thinks with a large majority of people streaming, the share of the market is probably using phones to gain access where PCM would be more widely accepted. Would storage on the host servers be a smaller footprint- PCM vs DSD64?, could be a cost thing as well.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

A full years supply of d’Artangnan Onion Rings
    Ronco’s new Bondage in a Bottle
    And of course an absolutely new, new but also of course
    A New Car!!!

vince likes this.