5 Zappa Titles on HDtracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 26, 2021.

1. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I did a bit more digging, referring to my copy of "The Big Note" by Charles Ulrich (really essential reading imo) - who had this to say:

The 1995 CD reverted to the original stereo mix. Engineer Spencer Chrislu explained,

We found the original [stereo] master of WOIIFTM and the safety backup copy. We listened and transferred both of them into the Sonic [Solutions] System and FZ did the editing.

The [1995] re-release on Ryko was taken from the actual 2-track master originally recorded in the '60s. This happened to be one of the masters recorded on Scotch 206 tape which has held up tremendously over the years. Some of the bits ... were taken from the safety copy as well because FZ and I felt it sounded even better than the master.

On the other hand, Chrisulu noted that the musique concrète pieces

were recorded on an entirely different type of tape that has not held up well.

Those spoken word pieces are now of the 'see-through' variety of tape, i.e. there's no oxide left on them. Thankfully, the safety was there to save them.

On both WOIIFTM and LÄTHER, we had to take new versions of these pieces from the safeties or the EQ mastering copies and edit them back into their original places.

So it seems to me that the digital master in 1993 was compiled from a combination of the original master track, and the safeties. In order to make a high-resolution transfer nowadays, someone would have to go and re-edit a combination of the various master tracks. Hopefully it happens someday, but I'm not sure it would be done for this current hi-res campaign.

2. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I just downloaded the 24/192 Zoot Allures and geez the difference between my 1995 Ryko CD and 76 vinyl is staggeringly different. I haven't heard the 2012 version. The increased bass and mid boost is shocking. Listening side by side the new version seems muddy. However, if you just listen to the new version with fresh ears, it is much much fuller and less abrasive. I guess I'm in for the rest if they are all this different. I will certainly be doing 192/24 where possible.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

It sounds identical to the 2012 release.

Thinman, Quincy and folkfreak like this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’ll stick with the 2012 UMe releases. I spent a good deal of money replacing the old Rykodiscs and I’m still in the process of replacing them, but I’ve got a pretty good bite on it now.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gonna have to check these out!

6. Michael

report back! please...

7. Michael

of course! you have to accept that! lots of laughs...I did that for so many years i lost count...so much coin spent. i was hooked...

danner likes this.
  8. Mirror Image

Do you own the 2012 UMe releases?

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

no, I do not...why?

10. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I listened to Burnt Weeny Sandwich all the way through the other night, and boy does it sound fantastic. The studio tracks in particular, both the covers and the FZ originals, sounded really spacious and lent themselves nicely to close musical analysis. The live portions are a little muddier, but I suppose that's just showing the limitations of the original recording more than anything. Looking forward to checking out the mid-late 70s material.

11. Mirror Image

Because from the replies here, the hi-res downloads are no better than the 2012 UMe releases. Unless one just simply detests owning the physical media, I never understood the reasoning for streaming, especially when the artists themselves probably make more from CD sales.

Michael likes this.
  12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I am currently listening to the UMe 2012 release of Apostrophe' and it sounds really, really good, I may bought 1 tune in 24/96 for comparison.

13. Michael

thanks for the heads-up! it's time.

Mirror Image likes this.
  14. Mirror Image

Out of curiosity, are you new to Zappa?

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

ah, no been there since the beginning saw him live multiple times...loved Frank! just haven't upgraded...had all the original vinyl...everything at one time.

16. Mirror Image

Ah okay, very good to read. Yes, I think the 2012 UMe releases are definitely worth your time and money. I wouldn’t say I’m biggest Zappa fan, but I do love several of his albums and he’s, at the very least, an interesting listen and musically rewarding. I have a rather large Zappa collection at this juncture if I were to count both Rykodiscs and Zappa Records collections.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Quincy and jmcecil like this.
  18. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Interesting, so like "on the torture never stops", the instruments are re-panned? On the 95 CD the bass and opening e-piano are buried and on the left channel and largely on top of each other. In the file I downloaded the Bass is close to center and opening e-piano is panned right. Not a good/bad situation, but the mixes are really different. At first I thought the 95 CD was more focused. But I think that's because so much more energy/loudness is in the upper mids and highs. Now that I'm getting used to the new mix, I think it has a much bigger stage and instrument detail.

19. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

20. Mirror Image

Ah yes, this compiled list is nothing more than one’s man opinion as with anything. I personally think the Zappa Records releases are worth it, especially if someone doesn’t own the CDs.

21. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Yep, the big difference is the good mastering in 2012

22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

No, it's a little bit different here. It's based on more than one opinion. And one can trust the author.

Quincy likes this.
  23. Forget the 95 CD of Zoot Allures. That one (and the versions before, which are identical) is ridiculously bad and has nothing in common with the original master (my original German vinyl record sounds phenomenal). IMO Frank's remaster for the original ZA CD is by far the worst in the whole catalogue, closely followed by maybe Chunga's Revenge.

Get the newly remastered 2012 CDs. You don't need the HiRes versions.

24. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I have followed some of his guidelines and found out so far that they are pretty accurate. The most important thing is NOT bit dept and sampling rate, it is the MASTERING. So most of the time the 2012 UMe will do the job just fine .

25. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I disagree, but discussion is futile. Looking forward to the 24bit of New York.