50% ALL CD's at Barnes and Noble thru July 22nd 2018 (in store only)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jason Pumphrey, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So did I! So, if you can post yours, can I just forget I did...and move on...?

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now Vol II-IV
    Grateful Dead - Anthem 50th Anniversary edition

Between the 50% off, 10% membership, and two 20% coupons I'd received in the mail, the total was $28 and change.

dee likes this.
  3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Went back and picked up three Neil Young recent releases...Roxy Tonight's the Night Live, Hitchhiker and Massey Hall.
    Great sale to catch up on Neil's recent CD releases.

PhantomStranger and dee like this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

I visited 3 stores on Sat/Sun. Loads of top tier Neil Young at all...
    I would have liked to have started Friday night instead of Saturday to get the lay of the land as I left a few on the shelf this weekend. Certainly a lot to choose from and some good prices. A total newbie could have built themselves a solid collection at the $2.99-$4.99 discounted price point as well as cheap box sets from Faces, Ramones, Cars, Joni Mitchell, etc...

fmfxray373 likes this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Lots of Great Dead in the stores there too. 1 store had a bunch of HDCD coded copies too. Many 2 and 3 disc sets as well.

Makes me question a few of the new vinyl prices I've paid, I can tell you that, lol :)

clhboa likes this.
  6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Yeah it was a great sale...just had to get the Original Release series with Time Fades Away for $25.
    I hope they do it with vinyl.

I get the impression they are losing a lot of money on music. Prices are just too high and I don't feel like a membership if this sale is a sign of them dropping cds. They do have a good selection of vinyl but I can tell those are not moving either.
    The thing is an online store like get_Import CDs beats them on prices, especially on double lps and more expensive stuff. And of course cds.

lightbulb, Jason Pumphrey and dee like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for posting!

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked up All Over the World the very best of ELO.

A nice 20 track selection, but where the heck is Can't Get it out of my Head and Do Ya?
    The hype sticker on the front says 20 massive hits, are Diary of Horace Wimp and Confusion massive hits?, those other two WERE in my opinion.
    If I were the compiler of the collection, I would have included the first two I mentioned, at least they are included on my other single disc ELO collection called Essential (later reissued as part of Sony's Playlist series of cds), another good collection worth having.

Of course this tune is gotten the shaft on every single ELO compilation, and it's a travesty!

superstar19 and fmfxray373 like this.
  9. Lightweights. Over the three-day sale, my bill added up to $461. That was from three different locations. They literally kicked me out of the store tonight because they closed at 8 PM and the employees wanted to go home. Reactions by the cashiers checking me out ranged from the quizzical to indifference.

If you had a membership, this was a killer CD sale on stuff that is virtually never discounted beyond the usual 30-40% off discount level. Even most of the box sets were good deals. If I hadn't had a large commitment on Saturday and thus couldn't visit a couple of other locations near me, I don't even know what the damage would have been.

Newish CDs just don't go below $10 anymore - the press runs on them are small and sold only to dedicated fans, so there isn't a huge secondary market anymore of used copies to keep new retail pricing honest.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I saw a number of those sets...problem is that I already own them! That's not really a problem I suppose...

dee likes this.
  11. Jason Pumphrey

Truth and nothing but the truth, killer album, Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart at their best!

12. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I went today and was pretty picked over-
    My purchases:
    Beatles 1967-1970
    Beatles Past Masters
    Sarah Jarosz-Undercurrent
    The War on Drugs-A deeper understanding
    Trio-(Parton/Harris/Ronstadt)-complete collection
    Rav

13. Jason Pumphrey

Wow, now that's a HAUL!

bug2362 likes this.
  14. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I was the only person in the media section in the back on Friday. There were no signs in the store letting anyone know this sale was ongoing. Was anyone surrounded by others taking advantage of this sale?

lightbulb likes this.
  15. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I was the only one in the dept. too....no employee either

lightbulb and clhboa like this.
  16. Honestly, I saw a few others browsing in my travels and picking up a few items. But it wasn't like the Toys 'R Us clearance or anything, with people madly rushing to fill their carts.

This was a strangely marketed sale even to Barnes' members. It showed up with virtually no advance warning, lasted three days in the dead of summer, and each location only had tiny, handwritten sale signs mentioning the 50% off.

Having been a customer for years, the sale must have been decided on very recently by their corporate team. I worry it's the possible elimination of their CD music, or at least a great downsizing. Barnes may have already made the decision to leave the CD market in some locations.

lightbulb and Galley like this.
  17. Jason Pumphrey

18. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I really have no feelings at all about BN stopping selling cd’s. Now the Tower Records closing.....that’s a different story!

Planbee likes this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

Only a few people at my 4 stops. Only 1 guy who had a stack of cds. I spent probably 3-4 hours total browsing and buying.

Tjazz likes this.
  20. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Hit the B&N in Glendale. Quite a few box sets there, though they weren’t showing as in stock on the website: The Jam 1977 for about thirty bucks (after discount), the Neil Young boxes for 25. I dithered about getting the giant Sgt Pepper’s box for $75, but couldn’t justify it to myself, even at that price - I already have the mono, probably wouldn’t watch the documentary, and 100 mins of outtakes spread across two discs seems a bit of a swizz. In the end I got the 2 disc Sgt Pepper’s for $13, The Complete Concert by the Sea 3CD set for $9, and the Vince Guaraldi Warner Years 2CD that just came out on Omnivore for $14.

I didn’t see anyone else browsing the CDs, and the shelves didn’t look depleted. Saw a few people flipping through vinyl (but not purchasing that, either).

21. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

That explains why I didn't find anything when I finally made it over there Sunday! :D Really, there was a good selection, but I guess I wasn't in a buying mood. I picked up a few recently released discs, Dave Alvin/Jimmie Dale Gilmore, the Fratellis and Johnny Marr. My daughter was with me and she got the Westworld soundtrack, The Carters, and hits comps by Dolly Parton and Madonna.

22. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I wonder what the odds are that this sale will happen again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Galley and dee like this.
  23. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Any possibility they extended the sale? Anyone pass by today?

dee likes this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

Left a few boxes on shelves lol, wouldn't mind getting 1 or 2 of them today lol @ 1/2off!

25. popscene

popscene Senior Member

What a sale! I stuck to just higher ticket items - the Aqualung and Paranoid deluxe sets, and the Floyd 1965-67 set. They had a few other CD/LP combo deluxe boxes, but had all of those classified as LPs, and thus not eligible for the sale.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up!

dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.