50% ALL CD's at Barnes and Noble thru July 22nd 2018 (in store only)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jason Pumphrey, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Interesting. I left the Satanic Majesties 4 disc set on the shelf, was afraid of the devil I guess, maybe it would have come up as LP anyway...

Tjazz and popscene like this.
  2. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Yep, I tried with Satanic Majesties. They pointed out that there’s a little code in the upper left hand corner of their price tags that shows either “LP” or “CD.” The Stones set was under “LP.”

dee likes this.
  3. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

The stores I checked over the weekend either already got hit, pulled box sets or didn’t have them anyway
    They mostly had items under $25 sticker one had a couple Elvis sets but that was it

One guy who kept following me trying to tell me about sales mentioned oh we are just redecorating the media area that’s why inventory is low

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Interesting. The B&N I stopped by had lots of box sets, but I figured the sets like the Floyd or Jethro Tull which are CD + DVD or BluRay wouldn't be eligible. I guess I was wrong!

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I just say this thread today, one day after the sale ended. It's not often that I think I'm not on this forum often enough...

BGLeduc likes this.
  6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Glad I didn't bother with that one. Mine didn't have many boxsets left anyways.

7. Suedebelly

Suedebelly Forum Resident

Thanks to the OP for this post. I ended up doing about $250 of damage at my local B&N (which included buying a membership at $25 that essentially offset the extra $25 membership discount) on Saturday. At first, I didn't think that I was going to find much that I would want - but as time went on, I ended up with a much taller stack than anticipated. Based on the "vibe" in the music section, it definitely felt as if B&N is getting ready to eliminate CDs from their inventory. There were probably about 20 various boxsets out on display - but the only one I purchased was The Jam 1977 box set.

Some of my finds included the following:

The Jam 1977 box set [$31.49]
    Three Jason Isbell CDs
    Two Sharon Jones CDs
    Two Bill Frisell CDs
    Two Bob Dylan Bootleg CD sets [$10.79]
    John Hurt, Son House and Blind Willie Johnson compilations
    Blind Willie Johnson tribute album with Lucinda Williams, Tom Waits and others
    Latest albums from Mary Gauthier, Glen Hansard, Iron & Wine, Trampled by Turtles, Son Volt, Betty Lavette, the Punch Brothers, Anna & Elizabeth and a few other choice offerings :)

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Was that you T? :)

9. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Mine had hardly any cds left

10. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I kept thinking about this sale, but I was out-of-town.

11. Having regularly browsed the local Barnes's music inventory so I knew more or less what each location had in stock beforehand, I would estimate they had a healthy run on box sets. Individual CDs, not so much beyond a fewer new releases. They won't have many box sets left after this sale.

12. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

:mudscrying:
    I missed it!!!!

Tjazz and spanky1 like this.
  13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I happened upon this sale on Sunday evening. A Barnes & Noble store in my area has an above-average selection of CDs, particularly in jazz. I picked up the three-disc Jethro Tull 50th anniversary set, two Wes Montgomery discs, and an SACD on the Heads Up label by a jazz saxophone player I had never heard of. After the 10% member discount, these discs came to $33 with tax.

dee likes this.
  14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Wow, I missed this one(and was in my neighboring B & N earlier last week). I actually picked up the Sgt. Pepper 6 disc set and the Elvis Complete Sun(Boy From Tupelo). Been wanting these. That really hurts because I just missed the unbelievable sale on Sgt. Pepper on Amazon.de today. :mad:

15. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Same. I figure at that $149 list price I could've had it in the $70 range with the 50% off and my B&N discount. Then I missed the SDE thing today.

GRRR. :laugh:

spanky1 likes this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

If there’s any small consolation, when I attempted to check out the Sgt Pepper Deluxe Box set on my Amazon cart, with shipping it didn’t seem to be as awesome a savings that 49.99 EUR (approximately $58.50 USD) initially seemed to be.
    Shipping to the US seemed to add a larger shipping fee that I was expecting... over $25 USD or so...?

spanky1 and Jason Manley like this.
  17. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I really hate to revel in your misfortune, but that does make me feel better. I really hate to spend that on this set, so I'm not sure what my price-point might be. I missed the Elvis set in the classifieds 't because I was a bit too cheap. As I mentioned earlier, I need to quit buying these. I could spend months just listening to the ones I own that I haven't listened to.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Damn, I couldn't get out to a B&N over the weekend. I would have liked to grab a few of the Living Stereo SACDs that were still on the shelves at the local.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It means the end of physical digital music media is getting closer. It’s not far off that a “big” new release won’t even be issued as factory pressed CD. After that, it will happen very quickly. Think cassettes.

20. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

So will prices on existing stock especially the crown jewels of rock(beatles/Floyd/stones/zeppelin etc).
    Look at out of print tull sets just to give an idea where all this is going

21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I just went back and re-read this thread. My thread should have stated that I picked these up TO LOOK AT, but put them back. As I re-read my post, I realized it didn't read the same as I meant it.
    Bottom line, I still don't have either set, but I'm looking.

22. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Good point- my local record store- Easy Street Records- is having a 30% off cd
    Sale this month which I have patronized several time....I wonder if they are trying to
    Reduce inventory to make more room for vinyl?

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

It has been an extraordinarily busy week since last weekend when the news of the sale broke (thanks to OP for that one!).

I have just finished going through my haul from three different stores...

Box Set Nirvana:

U2 - The Joshua Tree ($56.24, couldn't pass it up even through most of it is redundant. Lavish book makes up for minimal additional audio.)
    The Jam - 1977
    Fellowship Of The Ring - The Complete Recordings ($37.35, was on the fence about this one but glad I pulled the trigger.)
    Chicago - VI Decades Live ($30.59, very much worth it!)
    Elton John - Diamonds ($22.50, makes up for missing this at a similar price around the 2017 holidays.)
    Tom Petty - Live Anthology ($11.24, my collection is criminally lacking in Tom Petty. Working on improving that.)

Recent Release Heaven:

Manic Street Preachers - Resistance Is Futile (2 CD book edition, $8.55)
    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls (2 CD book edition, $11.25. Have never owned any IM before but the epic Empire Of The Clouds caught my prog attention.)
    Clannad - Nadur (not that recent but a wonderful find.)

Catalogue, Reissue and Compilation Mania:

Prince - Prince
    Prince - Around The World In A Day
    Van Halen - OU812
    Dire Straits - Making Movies
    ($2.79 each, the bargains of my haul.)
    George Winston - Gulf Coast Blues & Impressions ($4.49)

Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction (2 CD reissue, $10.79)
    Phil Collins - Hello, I Must Be Going (2 CD reissue, $9.90)
    The Cars - Heartbeat City ($7.20...the first album I thought of when I heard of this sale, along with Shake It Up which I did not find.)

ChangesOneBowie ($5.84)
    Tears For Fears - Rule The World ($7.64)
    Pink Floyd - Relics ($6.75)

If I had more time at the stores, and more time to hit up other locations, the damage might have been a lot worse. I have mixed feelings about this though. It feels like we may be nearing the end of an era. While I'm lucky to live in an area where killer record stores are 45 minutes to an hour+ away, none are as convenient for me as B&N and I would be disappointed if they did away with CDs altogether.

Regrets? I put back a couple of the recent 2 CD live Bowie albums at the first store and didn't come across them elsewhere. There were a few boxes that were quite tempting (including Allman Brothers live, Frank Sinatra 4 disc box, Bruce Springsteen Ties That Bind) but overall I cannot complain. I had to show at least some restraint!

24. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The Friday night I happened to be in a Barnes & Noble, it was just sheer coincidence that they were running the 50% off sale on CDs. Asking around, not many of the employees seemed “to get the memo”.

Although the store had roughly 20 customers spread out amongst the three floors, it felt like quite a contrast to when you’d easily find at least 200 shoppers - actually purchasing something - roaming about.

I’d confess that vague thoughts of being in a music retail chain store actually stirred through these bones.
    It was strangely reassuring, yet I knew it was only my vague memories of better times trying to bubble up.

Since I was the only customer combing through a few of the CD bins, I tried to imagine, contrast, and soak in that comforting feeling of when Tower Records, Music Plus, Wherehouse, Sam Goody, etc dotted the city.
    (Now, I guess the appropriate metaphor is “dinosaurs”, since I was reminded of when they were on their last legs.)

Since it felt like I was transported to an odd replica museum display from the year 2030, although too clean and scrubbed of the numerous details that those chains actually had, I actually felt compelled to click a few photos, before this yet-to-be exhibit was torn down for good.

Just like the dozens of other times in years past, when I dropped into a retail music chain store, I was waiting to meet up with family, so the clock was ticking.
    So, I had only a few minutes to breeze through the sections.

Trying to focus on the sale, I noticed all the LP covers, in all the bins, were backwards.
    I spotted a Barnes and Noble employee nearby, and asked why - without looking my way, while lifting and flipping around a heavy stack of records, she just joylessly grumbled that it’s easier to conduct the quarterly inventory that way.

Her surly (but partially understandable) workmanlike attitude was enough to shake me out of my nostalgic reverie.

I quickly made my meager purchase, and hightailed outta there.

superstar19 and SJP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.