50th Anniversary: 1967 Monterey International Pop Festival: Performance-By-Performance

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Jun 1, 2017.

1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Yes I do. pdf viewer.

2. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

:shrug: I use the same and it works for me.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Does it contain any new material or at least legitimate new material?

4. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Same tracklisting as the CD from last year.
    It does include this track which hasn't been put on vinyl yet..
    so it says

seed_drill and ianuaditis like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

As far as I know, nothing from the GD at Monterey has seen official release, though 'viola lee blues' was evidently played over the radio as part of the 20th anniversary celebration.

Monterey Pop - Outtakes

It would probably take up too much space on a vinyl compilation, but if I were them I'd be sure 'the Beatles Aren't Here' found its way onto a release.

Yayastone likes this.
  6. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Angel!

fr in sc and GerryO like this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

“Viola Lee Blues” is included in the recent Criterion BD and DVD reissue of The Complete Monterey Pop Festival. According to the accompanying text, the 08:53 clip represents the entirety of what the film crew shot.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, Viola Lee is on the Evil CD of the radio show v

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Argh, this is frustrating. I have the Criterion dvd, then I bought the 2009 blu ray when I upgraded, and now there is a new one with Dead footage? I really don't want to have to fork over another $50, but ugh..

10. stepeanut

I guess it depends on how essential that nine minutes of footage is to you. If you are in the U.S., you’re best waiting until the next Barnes & Noble or Criterion 50%-off sale.

I got a great deal on the new edition, which was mispriced for a short period of time, when it was first announced. I paid GBP £16.20 for the three-BD set.

11. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I always wanted footage of The Dead at Monterey, that's the only reason I'm frustrated that they did this. Maybe if I break down and get a 4k television I may be thankful, but I haven't heard or read anything positive about the 4k print. If anyone else would like to chime in and tell me its amazing, then I may just plunk down one more purchase. Its still frustrating buying this a third time, I have to say...

12. stepeanut

The transfer may have been 4K, but the playback medium — Blu-ray — is not. Therefore, buying a 4K television will not help any. Further, the original footage was shot in 16mm. There’s only so much resolution that can be teased out of that film stock. It looks about as good as you might expect 16mm colour footage from 1967 to look.

I’m not a Dead fan, really, so I’m not in a position to sell it to you on an artistic level. It sounds like you’re a pretty big fan, though. Again, my advice is to wait for a deal.

tedhead likes this.
  13. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Will do. I am a huge fan, but mostly of the sixties era...when they were a "psychedelic acid rock band" more than the country folk jam band stuff most Deadheads are into. The 1967 album reminds me more of the proto-punk Nuggets compilations than Phish. I'll wait on a sale.

stepeanut likes this.
  14. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I'm always a few years behind getting releases of stuff
    from Monterey Pop or Woodstock. I've come to the
    realization that they are going to keep repackaging
    old releases adding a little bit each time. So, I try to
    avoid paying the original MSRP. It helps with the
    pain of having to buy them over and over again.

Right after the 40th anniversary (revisited) of Woodstock
    came out, I found a copy of the 40th anniversary
    (original) Bluray in the 7 dollar bin at Wal-Mart.

I know the marketing says the 50th Monterey contains
    all the footage they have. But, I have been burned before.

Next year is Woodstock's 50th and I am sure we will get
    another release of that with previously unreleased
    material.

15. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I picked it up, but haven't opened it yet. i'm sure I'll get to it eventually...

Yayastone likes this.
  16. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

SOME folks are aware that the GD played another show in Monterey across the highway near where the folks camped for the big show that weekend.

Supposedly Hendrix and a few others jammed with them as well.. would be neat if audio or photos of that gig ever surfaced

17. Nomadicarchivist

Hal was indeed there and he DID play! The rear of the stage during their set was dark.. Look for him on the extras DVD.

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  19. Nomadicarchivist

Here's ten minutes or so of the Dead at Monterey

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Mumbo 6/10
    Bip Bop 6/10

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

2 of the most underrated at the Monterey Pop Festival, yes I agree. :)

22. WilliamWes

Haven't been on here in quite a long time, I just wanted to let anyone who was here know that I had done a performance-by-performance with the 50th anniversary box - the complete one.
    Here's the link to the main Woodstock 50th anniversary thread and where the reviews start. Be nice to have a link between these 2 threads. The SHF member Dormouse did reviews as well and did some great ones.
    Rhino to issue massive Woodstock 1969 box set - **SOLD OUT!!**

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  23. WilliamWes

Some Monterey Pop Festival news:

Apparently Steve Miller is opening the mouth again - and made some headlines on the Ultimate Classic Rock website with some negative comments about Jimi Hendrix's Monterey performance.

He's got a new box set 'Welcome to the Vault' to be released and is going to be on The Tonight Show tomorrow October 9;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...amp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B07SSDQS6Q

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...4022f8-d891-11e9-ac63-3016711543fe_story.html

Steve Miller Hated Jimi Hendrix’s Burning Guitar Stunt

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  24. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

I thought Eddie Hoh played with The Mamas & Papas.

25. WilliamWes

Also didn't get to address the passing of the Monterey Pop film director D.A. Pennebaker who passed on August 1 of this year. I got to be at the film viewing for the 50th anniversary and he stayed for a Q&A after. It was a pleasure to get to hear him comment on the certain parts of the film that he just watched with us minutes earlier. Very enjoyable and humble personality and it made me feel better about the whole 50th anniversary experience knowing that.

Rolling Stone recently re-posted a 2017 interview this past August a little after he passed about the film. I'll link the interview.

D.A. Pennebaker Looks Back on ‘Monterey Pop’: The Lost Interview

Wayne Hubbard and ~dave~~wave~ like this.