50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have the '82 red vinyl japan mono and it's sublime.

TonyClifton63 and tinnox like this.
  2. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I have access to a amazon locker nearby and find that the most reliable form of delivery from amazon. The drivers are under such time constraints they don't seem to have time to wait around for someone to get to the door! I used to use my parents address but after a few instances of having to arrange redelivery I know just play it safe with an amazon locker. At least once delivered I have 5 days (?) to collect.

coffeetime and tinnox like this.
  3. Ern

Ern Senior Member

The annotation on the tape box, clears the personel for Birthday:
    Ringo on drums, Paul on bass, John and George on lead guitars.

4. Carl J.

Carl J. Well-Known Member

"Can you take me back where I came from......."
    Walking into Hudson's department store in Detroit and seeing a four foot tall stack of White Albums sitting piled right next to the cashier and everyone lining up to get one.......
    Hearing the sound collage of protest and fighting in the streets during 1968 as I'm hearing Revolution 9.........
    Watching and listening to the Apollo 8 astronauts on television from a quarter million miles away, between listening to the four sides of my new White Album........
    Yes, they ARE taking me back where I came from.

5. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I’ve got to say... I really liked Helter Skelter (first version/take 2)! It’s similar to some of the mid 70s Neil Young tracks in its late night, bar-brawled, drunk feel. Not sure I could last 27 minutes of it, but still...

6. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Guys, how perfect is this!
    I just went outside to get something out of the car, and while I was sleeping last night, it snowed! Everything is White! :)
    I'm home alone this whole day, and I don't have upstairs or downstairs neighbors, so I'm going to be listening to the deluxe box as loud as I want to with my curtains open!

Sometimes, everything is just right! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

I have a couple more observations on hearing disc 2 of the remix. I heard disc one last night through headphones and only noticed a couple of oddities. Disc 2 i listened to in the car and noticed the menacing lead guitar line at the end of Helter Skelter seemed a bit too far back in the mix and ringo's "I've got blisters on my fingers" very distant. The BV's on Revolution 1 seemed very loud too but will need to have another listen through headphones. Also spotted a couple of questionable ADT choices but overall I love it!!!!

tinnox and Royce like this.
  8. Jarek_Venera

Jarek_Venera Forum Resident

4+5+4+2+3 = 18/2 = again 9
    This cannot be coincidence.

9. anthos314

anthos314 Forum Resident

Have just finished listening to the whole remix on Spotify. To me it sounds like the vocals and classical instruments were massively brought forward, at the expense of drums and guitars. Sounds much more polished, much more Beyoncé in a way. Shame concerning the heavier tracks, but very interesting when you listen to Honey Pie for example (I have a weak spot for the heavier tracks so...).
    Btw whatever happened to the remix of Helter Skelter??? I was really eager to listen to it, and then... oh, the horror! Giles Martin has made the quiet bits quieter and the louder bits louder. This is sooooo like today's music, but I did not think it suited the song (all the fun bits are the quiet bits - like the "blisters" bit, or in other songs too). A song whose strength mostly lied in its punkish 1977-type Sex Pistols sound, has just been transformed into a lame 2016-type Metallica.
    For example, the guitar solo. In the original mix, the solo really sounds like a "let's just throw whatever middle eight comes to mind and be done with it" kind of thing. In this remix, it is now panned left and right, and therefore sounds like a Scorpions lead. Come on, didn't you get the original joke???
    The bass. John Lennon's sloppy bass really got the song going, but now it is hidden under screeching guitars. Come on Giles, less mediums with the guitars!!! (and more cowbell!). Actually it sounded like the latest Nirvana remaster.

10. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I got snow overnight too. It is a cool coincidence or destined? Enjoy Royce!!!

tinnox and Royce like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been answered...is just the 4-LP vinyl version limited as well or just the big set? Thanks in advance...

tinnox likes this.
  12. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Congratulations and Thank You tinnox, for starting the most enjoyable internet discussion thread I've ever had the pleasure of being part of, and for your tireless dedication to thanking everyone who is participating by liking each and every post. You are, without a doubt, the most gracious thread host I've ever encountered.

My hat's off to you my friend! :targettiphat:

milk731, winston32, Bevok and 24 others like this.
  13. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

I am amused that my orderat Amazon has been titled 'TBC' since September 23 when I ordered it andthe a tual release had still not been officially identified beyond rumour. It was never confirmed in the order as being The Beatles and still says that today on my Amazon page. And when the package arrived today, the outside sticker on the box also has the title 'TBC' the number on my actual box set is No. 00302226.
    Just waiting for my B&M to let me get my hands on the vinyl.

marmalade166, FJFP and tinnox like this.
  14. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Oh that's great!..What a feeling it was when the realization hit huh? You have a great listening day too my friend!

tinnox and Clonesteak like this.
  15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Same here! Amuses me no end.

16. tezca

tezca Forum Resident

I add myself to the thanks from everyone :targettiphat:

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

:righton::righton::righton::righton: ...quadruple like.

(one for each side of the album :) )

Bonzodog, autumn daze and tinnox like this.
  18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The Revolution rehearsal is at least interesting for the fact that the guitars aren’t overdriven in the slightest. Then the raw take 14 is interesting because, without the drum overdub on the intro, I thought the guitar stab at the beginning was the drum track having a malfunction!

Shaddam IV, Chris M and tinnox like this.
  19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

These remixes are 'interesting' to have and hear, but all it does, in the end, is make one appreciate the original work of Sir George Martin. Tough act to follow.

moofassa_ca, Dean R and tinnox like this.
  20. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Anybody knows what the weight of the Deluxe set is?

tinnox likes this.
  21. A well respected man

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It was posted a few posts earlier. Try going back four or five pages.

tinnox likes this.
  23. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Bittersweet.
    For a generation that appreciated the power of its youth the celebration of a 50th anniversary has a tinge of a close call/last chance aura.
    A 25th from many of these 60's milestones would have been on the nose. Early 90's is the heyday of cd sales with the internet and digital transfers just beginning its long haul.
    Oh well, it's here. Enjoy.
    What can be said?
    Time flies like a speeding arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

tinnox, vinnie, ted321 and 1 other person like this.
  24. A well respected man

Sorry, I can't find it (I had been reading the thread anyway, but I have may missed that).

tinnox likes this.
  25. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

My Hendrix box set still says "Land" LOL

tinnox and Norman garriock like this.